I called Second Chance regarding a vest suitable for a full time teacher - not good!

This is a discussion on I called Second Chance regarding a vest suitable for a full time teacher - not good! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We had a 'safety' meeting (community college) about what to do if we hear gunshots in the building. The speaker said we should leave the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: I called Second Chance regarding a vest suitable for a full time teacher - not good!

Senior Moderator

I called Second Chance regarding a vest suitable for a full time teacher - not good!

We had a 'safety' meeting (community college) about what to do if we hear gunshots in the building. The speaker said we should leave the room, i.e. go into the hallway and see if we can escape safely. If not barricade the door.

Let me see if I understand this: We're supposed to go into a hallway where we've heard screaming and shooting??? Ok, we know better than that, so we barricade the door(s). With what? But let's suppose we do get the door barricaded. Guess what, all the doors open into the hall, not into the room.

Anyway so his next plan is to lock the door. The doors are wooden and usually propped open so students can get in if they arrive late. Hence to lock the door, we have to step outside the classroom, into the hall where all the gunfire and screaming is going on, kick up the door stop, let the hydraulic door closer close the door and lock the door - what could be safer?

So now are lives depend on a locked wooden door and two sheets of drywall - really that's it!

Then the guy goes on to say to not get against the wall and the instructor can hide near the door with a laptop and try to hit the guy as he comes in shooting - he says, "You might as well try, since you're going to die anyway, you might as well save some students if you can."

To which I queried, that raises two questions, one, even if I hit the BG and die, how does that save anyone. Won't he just shoot them after he shoots me? and two, "What's the plan for me surviving and going home at the end of the day?"

You know, none of the schools these tragedies have occurred in were expecting such a thing to happen. Nobody goes to school each day (well, other than me) thinking well today's the day we all get killed by a madman. All anyone thinks is it can't happen here, it can't happen to me, if they think about it at all.

Wow, even in light of the Sandy Hook tragedy, it's business as usual for us. So I think, one thing I could do that might help is get a vest I can wear under my shirt, so I call Second Chance to get some advice. She said they are getting hundreds of calls like this! However, she said, it is illegal in most places for civilians to own bullet resistant vests!

If that doesn't reveal the warped thinking of our Government, nothing does. We can't even passively protect ourselves and yet the BGs are wearing body armor as evident in the theater shooting.

I'm venting and preaching to the choir, of course, but sometimes you have to have your say. Over the past few semesters, we've seen more students stressed out to the confrontational level, very near the fistfight level, than I've seen in my entire 24 years here.

It's really frustrating that it's repeatedly demonstrating that students and teachers are being set up all over our nation for another slaughter.

Someone said that teachers don't need to be worried with defending themselves, they need to be focused on teaching. Well, how did that work out at Columbine, Virgina Tech, and Sandy Hook?

Where's that rant off button?
    Truckinbutch likes this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

They are not illegal. That is the craziest thing I have heard. Maybe I am totally lost and if so someone please correct me, but at every gun show there are a bunch of people selling them. Not sure how a passive resistance item is illegal. It is not a weapon. Search elsewhere, and thanks for being an educator and one who cares at that! I am with you in thinking, is today the day?

This is their "legal page" but maybe try these guys.
    nedrgr21 and FreeFalling like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I can't speak for other states but in Indiana they are legal. However if committing a felony the use of a bullet poof vest it is another felony charge but only if you wear it and commit a felony otherwise your legal.

Senior Moderator
    I know and agree it sounds crazy, but that's what one of the mainstream manufacturers of vests told me.

In Tennessee, we can own switchblade knives, we just can't carry them. We can own 'hawkbill' bladed knives, but we can't carry them. Maybe that's the way with the vests, it isn't illegal to own one, it's illegal to wear one. I'm checking into that in Tennessee.

One place to check for a vest is eBay I have two both are "expired I function tested te one and it worked fine for what it wa rated for from factory several Leo friends have done the same and I have never heard if a failure on one still I'm good shape. The big problem is some get stuff after being worn to long and getting wet from sweat could save some money that away.

VIP Member
    Maybe this will help. It is from the TN criminal code (emphasis mine):

39-17-1323. Commission of certain offenses while wearing a body vest.

(a) A person commits an offense who knowingly wears a body vest, when acting either alone or with one (1) or more other persons, while committing:

(1) Any felony whose statutory elements involve the use or threat of violence to a human being;

(2) Any burglary, car-jacking, theft of a motor vehicle, or arson; or

(3) Any felony offense involving a controlled substance.

(b) For purposes of this section, a "body vest" means a bullet-resistant soft armor providing, as a minimum standard, the level of protection known as threat level I which shall mean at least seven (7) layers of bullet-resistant material providing protection from three (3) shots of one hundred fifty-eight-grain lead ammunition fired from a .38 caliber handgun at a velocity of eight hundred fifty feet (850') per second.

(c) The unlawful wearing of a body vest is a Class E felony.

(d) Nothing in this section shall prohibit the possession of a body vest for lawful purposes.

(e) Any sentence imposed under this section shall run consecutively to any other sentence imposed for the conviction of the underlying offense.

[Acts 1997, ch. 321, § 1.]
    TheGiant likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Moderator
    Ha! We were typing the same thing at the same time!

Well, I'm glad we had this little talk

After calming down, I looked up the Tennessee law:

39-17-1323. Commission of certain offenses while wearing a body vest.
    (a) A person commits an offense who knowingly wears a body vest, when acting either alone or with one (1) or more other persons, while committing:

(1) Any felony whose statutory elements involve the use or threat of violence to a human being;

(2) Any burglary, car-jacking, theft of a motor vehicle, or arson; or

(3) Any felony offense involving a controlled substance

(b) For purposes of this section, a "body vest" means a bullet-resistant soft armor providing, as a minimum standard, the level of protection known as threat level I which shall mean at least seven (7) layers of bullet-resistant material providing protection from three (3) shots of one hundred fifty-eight-grain lead ammunition fired from a .38 caliber handgun at a velocity of eight hundred fifty feet (850') per second.

(c) The unlawful wearing of a body vest is a Class E felony.

(d) Nothing in this section shall prohibit the possession of a body vest for lawful purposes.

(e) Any sentence imposed under this section shall run consecutively to any other sentence imposed for the conviction of the underlying offense.

[Acts 1997, ch. 321, § 1.]

A far cry from what Second Chance said. So now the search for a vest begins.

That's almost exactly how indiana's law reads. There are lots of good manufactures of quality armor

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnie View Post
    That's almost exactly how indiana's law reads. There are lots of good manufactures of quality armor
    If you run across anything, keep me in mind. In the mean time I'll be looking.

There is a film out there somewhere that tells what to do if you are in a shooting situation at a school or office. But like the guy said, it is better to die trying than die cowering in a corner.
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

VIP Member
    I hate second chance anyway. But check out safeguardclothing.com and see if they have what you're looking for.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

InterAmerican Security Products - Ballistic Clothing

FYI, Holmes WAS NOT wearing a bullet proof vest, it was LBE. That being said, loaded mags may defeat some handgun bullets, or at least partially.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Tangle,

I certainly hate that you are left to looking for body armor to wear to work.

That being said, when/if you do decide to purchase through a manufacturer, I suggest that you politely tell them that they would do well to have a list of states on hand where it is legal and illegal for folks to own them for their own use. Just seems like good business practice to know who you can and can't sell to.

Good luck.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    BulletProofME.com Body Armor / Bullet proof Vests

Screw them. My recommendation is the Gold-Flex IIIA concealable armor. It's what I use on a daily basis.

If you want added protection, get the carrier with the optional trauma plate pockets, and use soft plates in it too.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Distinguished Member
    "Go into the hallway..." from the same people that brought you "duck and cover during a nuclear attack...".
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links