Bedroom door: open or shut?

This is a discussion on Bedroom door: open or shut? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by mr.stuart Closed and locked. Three big dogs and alarm system. It would be a noisy time if somebody broke in. Give me ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Bedroom door: open or shut?

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    Closed and locked. Three big dogs and alarm system. It would be a noisy time if somebody broke in.
    Give me ample time to lock & load..

s11568.gif
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

2. Remove Ads

Closed and locked. My dog sleeps next to me, so he'll be sounding off if he hears something through the door. Just one more barrier someone has to get through.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

VIP Member
    The door to my bedroom is a steel entry door. It is not only closed and locked but secured by a deadbolt as well. There is no way I would hear someone breaking in at the other end of the home if the alarm didn't function. My dogs can't even hear when you come in the back door. So if my alarm failed and someone broke in there's a good chance they'd be in the bedroom before I or my wife or dogs woke up. With this set up they would have to find a way to get through a substantial door without waking any of us up, and that is unlikely.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Shut the Dog will keep them busy till I get around to looking at who he is eating

As I have said before, my Pyr likes to sleep in the OPEN doorway! At 150lbs, I pretty much let him have his way, as long as he doesn't keep me from getting to the bathroom in the middle of the night!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

open for me. large boxer has run of house at night.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Wife likes it closed to block light. No lock. The house is pretty secure and we both sleep light. Our bedroom is the safe room of the house. Ceiling fan is a Hunter so it makes zero noise.

Closed and locked... double locked actually. My wife sleeps with a shotgun and I sleep with a glock. Alarms are activated on all exterior doors and windows and a motion sensor just at the top of the stairs as a last minute notification, after that, we are barricaded in the room and ready for anyone that decides to come knockin.

Closed. Female Pit and Female Lab have the run of the house. Lab is more protective and has a much gnarly-er bark. Pit tends to have "the look" but no bark. If they get by those two gems, God help them when they come knocking at our door.
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

I think our preferences may have to do how we slept in our childhood home. I always liked hearing anything & everything I could pick-up (inside & outside the house) after everyone settled-down for the night. I liked the sound of my putbull's nails (yes, I grew-up with them) clicking on the hardwood floor. I liked the occasional, late night, screen-door slam & guessing who of 3 neighbor families had just left their house. I liked the crickets & tree frogs making a racket in the early summer. I liked knowing the sound of local cars & pickups so well that I could tell you who just drove by without looking. In fact, when I first left home to live in a college dorm I remember actually being psychologically "bothered" by my room door being closed. It felt uncomfortably confining. I still don't enjoy music, TV or any "white noise" at bedtime. I want to HEAR.
    Truckinbutch likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I leave mine open. Hopefully I won't get totally suprised this way.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Open for me. The German Shepherd sleeps in the room with us as an early warning.

I'm working with the pooch to get her comfortable with the 12 gauge. I think an all black German Shepherd may be pretty intimidating standing at the top of the stairs racking the action on a shotgun.

Ideally I want her to take care of business and let me sleep. One or two 12 gauge blasts I can sleep through. Any more and I may have to get up to see what she's got going on by the door.

We keep the door closed.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Closed for us. I have always slept with the door open, until my wife brought home a cat last year that will work her paws on you in the middle of the night. So now, the cat is out & the door is shut.

My dog never had a problem with gun fire...I'm lucky. However, I hear some people get their dogs used to it by giving the dog a treat each time they fire. Gets the dog EXCITED for the gun to go off, lol.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links