Bedroom door: open or shut?

This is a discussion on Bedroom door: open or shut? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been debating with myself whether I should close my bedroom door at night or not. I prefer it open because the master bedroom ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Bedroom door: open or shut?

I have been debating with myself whether I should close my bedroom door at night or not. I prefer it open because the master bedroom tends be be colder than the rest of the house in the winter and having it open gets warm air in there better. However, having it closed might provide one more barrier or at least cover in case someone were to break in. That being said, there is no lock on our bedroom door so it wouldn't provide THAT much protection. Also, perhaps it would allow me to hear someone break in better if the door is open. The other side of the coin is that if someone does break in, I don't want my dog running downstairs right away to check it out in fear it would be dangerous to my dog or I would lose her hearing and her being able to tell me if something is still wrong downstairs.

Open. The last thing I want is to be unaware of something wrong INSIDE my house & be greeted by an assault upon opening my bedroom door. I would rather have to close my door after hearing something than miss the noise because my door was already closed. IMHO, situational awareness trumps barriers INSIDE my house until the threat is recognized.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Depends. Single? Alone? Married? Got kids? House on tight lockdown?

Open, open, open, open, open.

Roomates?

CLOSED. Locked.
    Arborigine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Open. The last thing I want is to be unaware of something wrong INSIDE my house & be greeted by an assault upon opening my bedroom door. I would rather have to close my door after hearing something than miss the noise because my door was already closed. IMHO, situational awareness trumps barriers INSIDE my house until the threat is recognized.
    That's what I'm leaning towards now too. The alarm or dog will wake me up if something's wrong and then I can assess better what's going on by hearing past my bedroom door and not having to make noise by opening it or wondering what's beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    Depends. Single? Alone? Married? Got kids? House on tight lockdown?

Open, open, open, open, open.

Roomates?

CLOSED. Locked.
    I am married, no kids yet. And, as I said, no lock on door.

It's kinda a personal choice. Since I tend to go to bed earlier than others in my home (usually because I have to wake up MUCH ealier than the rest of my family) I shut the door. The firefighter in me likes the door shut as well. However, Mrs. GSB wants the bedroom door OPEN. She likes the pooches to be able to come and go at night and she can keep an 'ear open' for the young'uns who might get up in the middle of the night.

I like the idea of my dogs getting my attention when something goes 'bump' in the night.... and they're good at waking me up!

Living and working in central Asia like I am right now, I keep the door shut..... as much for keeping what heat I have IN my bedroom than as for anything else.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I'm with ghost tracker on this one. I leave the bedroom door open, so I can hear what's going on, and my 130 pound labrador retriever can too. Yes, he's big for a Lab. :)

My home defense plan has evolved over the years, from having kids and now having just me and the significant other in the house. I leave the door open, and if I'm alerted, I investigate, with my pistol and a surefire light. Doesn't happen very often, as I live out in the woods.

Back when I was married, and had young kids in the house, I would move the kids to the MBR, where their mother would control them, while I investigated the cause of the alert.

If I were traveling somewhere, and unable to defend my castle, my spouse was to gather the kids and the dog when alerted, and get them in the MBR, behind cover, with the bedroom door closed. If she knew someone was in the house, she was to dial 911 and remain behind cover with the kids and the Remington 870. If anyone attempted to open the door, she had instructions to shoot the door, and wait for the cops to arrive before opening the door.

Worked for me. Be safe.
    niks likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Closed, to keep light out and heat in. My comfort in my own bed 355 days a year trumps that day, IF it ever happens. The dogs sleep in the living area on purpose. They take care of everything out there and raise me from a dead sleep if it's bad news.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Mine is closed but not all the way just until it touches the door jam this way I can hear what might be going on easier because I sleep with a ceiling fan and a tower fan.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Never closed when I am sleeping and if I don't wake up to an intruder, BUSTER! That's right, my pet grizzly bear Buster/DOG will have no problem reminding an intruder that they have nerve endings all throughout their body after he takes a chunk out of them..

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Concern yourself more with keeping them out of the house.
    Jaybm, FlaRon and PAPADALE1 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Bedroom door left opened.

Gaining access to the inside of the house would involve making substantial noise.

Max and Jessie have the run of the house .

photo.jpgphoto.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

Regards,

FlaRon
    DandLfam and mano3 like this.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

I tend to leave the bedroom door open as we now have two dogs...our early warning system.

Our Irish Wolfhound turns heads although she is a 'lover'...the Rhodesian Ridgeback (still a pup) will be the one to take care of business.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Closed and locked. Three big dogs and alarm system. It would be a noisy time if somebody broke in.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

My door stays open. I can hear things better, and I can close it if need be.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links