biometric rifle WALL safe?

This is a discussion on biometric rifle WALL safe? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been thinking about installing a biometric rifle safe in the wall in our bedroom. I figure that if we bolt it in, or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: biometric rifle WALL safe?

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

I have been thinking about installing a biometric rifle safe in the wall in our bedroom. I figure that if we bolt it in, or run some welded on bars thru a couple of wall studs, that some home invader will not be able to easily pull it out of the wall, or simply pick up a small biometric free-standing rifle safe. This way, I have quick access to my AR or shotgun, but they are still secure if not needed.

Does anybody have any experience with these units? Or any other useful suggestions? (we have standard "stick-built" 2x6 walls with spray-in insulation).

Thanks!!
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Wall safes have caught my interest before, but I personally would not rely on an electronic lock for reliable quick access. Electronics and I have a horrible relationship. And unless you reinforce the 2x4 studs, the safe is only as secure as the studs.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

There are safes made for that - not biometric though. I have 2 of the V-Line safes, and the mechanical locks they come with are perfect. Fast and simple - and no batteries to die, or worry about your finger being smudged....

Closet Vault

Austin

Iíll second the V-Line recommendation, I own 3 of them. Iíve set the combo the same on all 3 and have never had an issue with any of mine. Still relatively quick entry, hit 3-5 buttons and turn a knob, zero batteries.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

VIP Member
    I have a bedroom wall safe Pastor. It uses a regular key, not a biometric lock. It's nice and while it wouldn't stop a BG with a crow bar it keeps the kids out and also anyone without big tools.

It fits flush with the wall and is secured into the wall from inside the safe. You lag bolt it right into the studs on each side, top and bottom. a thief with a saws all could get it out in about 10 minutes or less so it's not like Fort Knox. I only keep one loaded long gun in there.

OK that, above, is the down side. The up side and, what I like most about it, is that it is very easy to conceal. Ours is located behind our always open closet door. There appears to be nothing but wall behind that door and there would be no reason for a thief to move the door away from the wall. It is pretty well hidden.

I'm about 90% sure any BG will miss it completely and just move right into the closet looking for goodies.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

VIP Member
    Brand name Atctimmy, brandname!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Yes, Atctimmy, what brand are you using.

Since we have moved I am wanting to bring one long gun and one shotgun to the new house, but since we are only covered by the Sheriff's dept being in the county I am leary about leaving them outside a safe.

We have an alarm and security cameras, but those don't keep folks from getting the guns, just makes them leave the house quicker after they have broken in. 10 minutes would be plenty of time to deter them from working too hard at the safe.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    I can't remember. I had looked at Homak and Stack On but I don't remember what one I bought. They are both similar.

It's not going to stop a guy with time and tools but it's strength is that it's hard to find.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

OK, been doing some re-thinking here.

Rather than put a Barska safe into the wall, I could buy another free-standing gun safe (like an 8 or 14 gun size). But then, how do you anchor it to keep any thieves from simply picking is up and carrying it away, or using a dolly to get it out of the house? I know that some safes have a hole or three in the bottom to bolt them into the floor--however, my house has radiant floor heating--so, I don't want to drill thru one of the pex-pipes for the heating system--that would be ugly, as well and embarassing and costly.

Any bright ideas out there??
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    OK, been doing some re-thinking here.

Rather than put a Barska safe into the wall, I could buy another free-standing gun safe (like an 8 or 14 gun size). But then, how do you anchor it to keep any thieves from simply picking is up and carrying it away, or using a dolly to get it out of the house? I know that some safes have a hole or three in the bottom to bolt them into the floor--however, my house has radiant floor heating--so, I don't want to drill thru one of the pex-pipes for the heating system--that would be ugly, as well and embarassing and costly.

Any bright ideas out there??
    Drill through the back and anchor it to a wall.
    farronwolf likes this.

atctimmy: I have thought about that, but I am worrried that 2 or 3 guys could still rip it free and just carry it off.

I have thought about welding a section of logging chain to the back of the safe, run the chain through the 2x6 studs, and reinforce those particular studs, and then weld the running end of the chain back against the back of the safe or the other end of the chain itself.

I am NOT a carpenter, so welcome any SOLID (pun intended ) ideas........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

- Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Most burglars, unless they have scouted out your house and know you have a safe and what it would take to haul it out, aren't coming in with jackhammers, ripsaws, crowbars, etc. They want in and out and will take what they can carry. If someone was determined to get your safe at all costs, they'll get your safe. You can make it difficult, but mot impossible.

This is one made by SecureLogic. I realize you're looking for rifle and there are companies that make them (I just googled rifle wall safe), but I had taken some progress pix when I installed it so I hope it gives you an idea of what to expect. I had the misfortune of having an old house so I have lathe and plaster walls, and the studs were not standard width so I had to put a border around my safe and cut each little piece of wood, but the process will be almost the same for you.

Hope the pix help. Also I don't know if I'd choose an exterior wall and strip out insulation, but that's your call.

(Pay no attention to my misjudgement of where the edge of the stud was in the top right...)
    Wall1.jpg
    Wall2.jpg
    Wall3.jpg
    Wall4.jpg

I know that if they are REALLY determined, they will get the safe no matter what. It seems to me that "time" is a critical issue here--the longer they are in a home, the greater their level of exposure and vulnerability. I think that making it difficult enough that it would take them long enough that they would feel over-exposed is the goal.....
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

- Ronald Reagan

Scott,

If you lag bolt the safe to two studs, it will be as secure or more secure than simply chaining it around or through the studs.

If you run it through the stud, you will only have half the thinkness or less of the stud supporting the chain which will put more pressure on a single point if they try to jerk it out. You are also giving them room to let the safe do more of the work for them. If there is enough room for you to weld the chain to the back of the safe, there is enough room to tilt the safe out away from the wall and use its weight and their own force to help break it free.

Putting lag bolts, two at the top, and two at the bottom into the studs will make for a very secure mount. Not indestructable but certainly not easily removed without taking the bolts out the same way they were put in. It should just be a matter or taking some good measurements from the studs and transfering that to the safe, drilling it and then lining it up against the studs to bolt it in.

Good luck.

I really like the idea of taking a chance on hitting the pex line in the floor though, would make for an interesting afternoon.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links