Layers of protection for your home. - Page 2

Layers of protection for your home.

This is a discussion on Layers of protection for your home. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Exacto Some of these things might be ok, but it sounds like your putting yourself in prison. Keep your doors locked and ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Layers of protection for your home.

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    Some of these things might be ok, but it sounds like your putting yourself in prison. Keep your doors locked and your gun on you when your home. There's nothing you can do to get a 100% gaurantee of security short of going to prison where you have your every need taken care of. The only thing you wouldn't have is your freedom. Also, there are fire and building codes to take in to consideration when your putting bars on your windows and all these locks on your doors. The shrubs around the outside could also provide the BG concealement. I know everyones preperation should be appropriate for the area in which they live,but if you build a prison around yourself, the BG has already won.
    To each his own. Some people could spend a lot of time and money on these previously mentioned items and feel perfectly fine about it, other people like yourself would feel like they were in a prison.

I don't feel like I was in a prison. Depending on how a shrub is placed and height etc, yes it can be used for concealment. As far as fire and building codes, that is not a problem, just look them up and work within the boundaries. Besides that who gives a rats butt about that? Where I live people don't inspect the inside of my home.

You said "If you build a prison around yourself, than the BG has already won" While anti-gun people sometimes say the same about gun owners, it is all about individual perspective on what they consider living in a prison.

Door locked? That isn't enough. Don't be too sure of yourself, that door gets busted in one kick by a big enough criminal with the right technique, especially if you have a crappy door. Then they are on top of you before you can react.

100% guarantee of security? Who would ever think that? That is how you become a victim thinking that way. The goal is to reduce the chances and provide a time buffer and first alert system.

Some people on here carry a primary and backup firearms, knife, and whatever else. You think I'm paranoid?

The most basic in my view and probably the most effective is to harden your entry doors, door jambs and windows. You will never make them entry proof but you can make them strong enough its gonna take a good deal of time and noise to get through them. Ill be the first to admit I havent done that to the degree Id like as of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by harrymut View Post
    Then there are door jamb reinforcement items you can buy. Metal door frames. Solid doors. Etc.
    I put Jamb Armor kits on both doors.

Re-enforces jamb, Deadbolt, latch, and hinges.

Guaranteed agaisnt kick-in for 30 Min.

The BG hasnt won until he gets into your home by whatever means and kills you and your family. At that point he has won.

good thread

OK can't help it, sign in front yard says boot hill with with 3 mounds behind it and sign on front gate NEXT
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeg View Post
    I put Jamb Armor kits on both doors.

Re-enforces jamb, Deadbolt, latch, and hinges.

Guaranteed agaisnt kick-in for 30 Min.

Nice, almost as good as the $5 dollar 2by8 board I bought and cut. Its wedged between the bottom of my door and my stairs. The door has an all metal core.

i have an alarm on both front and side door and a chair infront of each door one has a glass screen door that locks so they would havto break the glass to even get screen open and then try getting into door. the other door has an alarm and chair like mentioned incase some one were to kick it in or open it somehow, it would surprise them or make noise for me to hear. all my windows have double locks and in my daughter room i put screws in so it cant be slid open. besides that still thinking of ways to keep it more safe on a tight budget. also keep my handgun holstered next to me on my couch and when i go to bed it goes to bed right next to me, always stay within 3 feet of my guns.

Quote Originally Posted by gallardo.g23 View Post
    i have an alarm on both front and side door and a chair infront of each door one has a glass screen door that locks so they would havto break the glass to even get screen open and then try getting into door. the other door has an alarm and chair like mentioned incase some one were to kick it in or open it somehow, it would surprise them or make noise for me to hear. all my windows have double locks and in my daughter room i put screws in so it cant be slid open. besides that still thinking of ways to keep it more safe on a tight budget. also keep my handgun holstered next to me on my couch and when i go to bed it goes to bed right next to me, always stay within 3 feet of my guns.
    Someone could just cut the glass or break it to get in. You can get vibration sensors on the windows or glass breakage sensors in the room.

CJM
    Baby monitors are good for putting near doors and windows in areas furthest away from your bedroom where you might not hear glass breaking etc.
    "Thank you for the advice Mr. Vice President, but I'll be keeping my AR15 for defending my home and family."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by harrymut View Post
    Yeah that is what I thought. A weapon does no good if someone sneaks up on you while your sleeping and knocks you out cold or kills you. Alert system is necessary.
    I only mentioned one level of precaution. There are more.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    I have a moat around my compound and my son made me a force field... I am set for life....
    Yeah, but it's too bad those dilithium crystals needed to power the force field are so darn expensive!

Secirity

The security with an Alarm systems is great and will deter the usual criminal. Then hard core criminal will not stop at a simple electric alarm. The first thing they will is cut power to your residence. IMHO: Better to have battery powered motion censers, that will notify you or intruders, or activity.
    One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but it can NOT be taken away unless it is surrendered.

This thread couldn't come at a better time. I was actually going to post about this. There have been frequent robberies in my neighborhood, and my sister in law lives down the blow and last night a criminal actually was ringing doorbell and when my sister yelled she was calling police, he tried kicking door in. So, I need ways to see the threat before it happens. I'm thinking of setting motion alarms by doors to know someone is there before I see them.
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Also, I don't like to keep garage door openers in car
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links