Ways women can reduce chances of being sexually assaulted.

This is a discussion on Ways women can reduce chances of being sexually assaulted. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by dukalmighty Get a Rosey O'donnell costume complete with face mask I'd rather just die....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Ways women can reduce chances of being sexually assaulted.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Get a Rosey O'donnell costume complete with face mask
    I'd rather just die.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

2. Remove Ads

Take ownership of your own safety. Of course, this applies to men as well.

Then, follow the excellent advice previously posted. Even the Rosie mask....

Another obvious couple of items that haven't been listed, regarding operating a vehicle:

• When entering your vehicle, lock your car door(s) immediately.
    • While driving, keep your doors locked. If able, when around other vehicles/persons you don't know, keep your windows up (or, no more than cracked open); or, better still, use the sunroof and slightly-cracked-open windows for air circulation ... anything to avoid fully-open windows amongst strangers.
    • If you drive a car that automatically unlocks the doors when turning off the engine and removing the key, consider zapping that feature or acquiring a car that doesn't have that feature.
    • Don't just sit there with your head buried in a book, purse or anything else. Get in, get out, get moving. Anything to keep your wits and awareness about you. It's all to often the unaware/witless who are targeted, with many violent crimes.
    ep1953 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

False Rape Accusations May Be More Common Than Thought | Fox News

This thread should be about what a person should do to avoid being assaulted. Which group is assaulted and/or murdered more, men or women?

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    False Rape Accusations May Be More Common Than Thought | Fox News

This thread should be about what a person should do to avoid being assaulted. Which group is assaulted and/or murdered more, men or women?
    Men are raped more, but thats usually in prison

If you are a woman who smokes, be careful of men asking for a light or ask to bum cigarettes. Also, try not to smoke alone. Often, you see smokers away from everyone smoking alone on the side of a building or even the back.

I don't know if there are cars like this anymore, but if you have a car that unlocks all the doors when you press the car remote, make sure you park your car so you can see the passenger side of it first when you come out of a store.

The criminal could just wait for you to press your car remote then jump into the passenger side seat, when you click your car remote.

One thing they might say is "If you scream or call for help, I'll hit you every time"

They might just hit you if you do, you have to learn how to get hit.

Don't be afraid of getting hit, rape hurts more and the mental scars take along time to heal.

Car protocol:

Back into parking spaces so exits can be very fast;
    Lock doors at all times;
    Approach car with high SA;
    Unlock only when by door, unlock driver door only;
    Enter car;
    Lock car;
    Start car;
    In gear;
    Pull out;
    Then seatbelt,
    SA
    No lipstick check or make-up checks, except you men.......

The goal is to minimize time of vulnerability in car as a static target

Beware of the hook, and don't hesitate to be rude.

It's not always possible to avoid vulnerable situations, like walking alone across a city parking lot at night, or being home alone, or getting lost in a bad part of town. But it IS possible to dodge "the hook" that predators will use to engage you and test your willingness to be compliant... as long as you aren't reluctant to be rude.

When my radar is pinging, I don't respond to entreaties like "hey baby" or "excuse me ma'am" or "do you have the time?" I'm taking big strides, chin up, shoulders back, keeping the person in my peripheral vision but NOT making eye contact, and NOT allowing him to engage me in in his effort to get closer. I maintain a wide berth between me and him, even if he's speaking to me and moving towards me, I'll be moving back or sideways. I look suspicious, alert, and on the cusp of really reacting, and above all I keep m-o-v-i-n-g.

I've had to use this more times than I'd like and the reaction has always been disappointment and withdrawal on the other person's part.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

I didnt post this because it might be different for women than a 6 3 250 lb biker. If I do notice someone. normally more than one someones in my case, following shadowing me or approaching me as if they want to speak to me I do make direct eye contact so they know ive seen them. Now I have a bad heart and spinal disease but to look at me you wouldnt know that unless you saw me try to lift something much or run etc. Normally thats enough sometimes with a " your close enough not interested now get lost! And go on my way. Normally since theyve seen they cant surprize attack me its enough to back them off.

But that may be not the thing to do for a woman. Not sure about that one.

Man I got one that drives me ape every time I see it...and I see it OFTEN. Quit jogging...ALONE, through the dark creepy woods(within a few miles of where other women HAVE BEEN ASSAULTED in the past in SIMILAR SITUATIONS!), with blasted EARBUDS IN BOTH EARS and not having a care in the world except...Oh crap...really...crap, I stepped in it...ewwy!
    GEEBUS! You'd think people didn't know how to run before the iPod was invented.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Hopefully if they are running they can out run the rapist ????

1. Wear appropriate clothing.*If you have to keep pulling it down then you know its too short. Nothing wrong with being sexy but still use your head for more than a wig stand. You know exactly what you have on before you leave the house, so any unwanted comments or attention should be expected if you are wearing something revealing.*Just be smart about the clothing.

*2. No jogging with both head phones in your ears.*

This is for all people but you can't hear any foot steps or someone running up behind you.

Awwww shucks. I just knew someone was going to come in here and ban revealing clothing on women. Darn it.

Quote Originally Posted by harrymut View Post
    Men are raped more, but thats usually in prison
    Ummmm I have a problem with this statement. Men are raped more often than women?... you seriously believe this?

wow!

I think that men make assumptions about rape based on their own proclivities. Most men are not rapists therefore I believe that most men get it wrong. There are basically (IIRC) five kinds of rapist. The most common being the date rapist, and is seconded by the power rapist. A womans mode of dress or proximity have less to do with their victimology than most would imagine. The date rapist has his mind made up, and dont care what she's wearing. With the power rapist the the desire may be triggered by something or anything not always to do with what most people may consider sexually attractive. Often his victims will remind him of women in his life who he has anger for.

In my experience, more often than not women are better served by the suggestions made in this thread... I think all the contributors is some very good information. While most suggestions are preventive in nature, many are defensive... All really good IMO.
    Last edited by Secret Spuk; January 16th, 2013 at 10:26 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links