Ways women can reduce chances of being sexually assaulted.

This is a discussion on Ways women can reduce chances of being sexually assaulted. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by harrymut If you are a woman who smokes, be careful of men asking for a light or ask to bum cigarettes. Even ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Ways women can reduce chances of being sexually assaulted.

Quote Originally Posted by harrymut View Post
    If you are a woman who smokes, be careful of men asking for a light or ask to bum cigarettes.
    Even if one doesn't smoke cigs/cigars, beware of approaching strangers looking to get under the defenses via whatever means, asking for something, posing a question, offering up some other sort of disarming comment, or whatever.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I've said this before but for me it's the most important thing...if the worst happens and someone pulls a gun and demands you get into the car with him, never, never do it! Turn and run, yell for help, anything but get into the car. Better you are killed right there than kidnapped, tortured, raped and then killed.

The likelyhood is that he's looking for the easy mark and people who put up a good fight aren't going to be the one he's looking for.
    surefire7 and Crowman like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    Amen to the smartphone comment, most young(and older) ladies I see in my daily routine have the phones glued to their faces and are not aware of what is going on around them. My daughter is a student at the University of Kentucky and I tell her regularly to keep her eyes up instead of down on the phone

Gender reassignment surgery?

I kid, I kid.

Put away the phone, I agree.
    Look people in the eye. A direct, half-second stare met by the opposite party lets them know that you are aware of them and are not timid.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I'd say first off realize that our world is full of evil people, but I think there are more decent people than bad.

Here is another thing I see women doing. Some of them go into the sauna or steam room alone at my gym. Who is to say that a bad man didn't get a gym day pass for a day and give the gym staff false identify information?

Now, you are alone in those rooms with a rapist.

I know this is an older thread, but...

Be careful on FaceBook, twitter, and other social media. Let's say you have an ex boyfriend (or old boss, coworker, neighbor...etc) on your little list of "friends" who perhaps has malicious intentions that you may be completely unaware of. Maybe your ex from several years ago sees your new pictures from your recent engagement and gets angry, or a friend of a friend of a friend that you accepted a friend request from has a criminal background. They now know a whole lot more about you, your home, your whereabouts, and your routines than would be desirable...and can begin to formulate or know exactly when to execute some type of seedy plan.

A lot of people put their whole lives on to social media sites, and that can be dangerous. It can be great to keep up with people, but be aware of the info you are giving out freely.
    Rock and Glock and surefire7 like this.
    "I may be compelled to face danger, but never fear it, and while our soldiers can stand and fight, I can stand and feed and nurse them." - Clara Barton

My first wife reduced the chances of her being raped by shooting the would be rapist between the eyes with a .357.
    ep1953 and Lish like this.

didn't some politician recently come up with a grand plan. One should drop a steamer in their shorts to ward off an attacker. Maybe even urinate on them. So I guess the message is before you go out eat some extra grease tacos and down a few bottles of water.
    Sig 210 and NONAME762 like this.

Yep, the UCCS dreamed up that sorry piece of trash. Its a take on the Brady bunch advice to "run away" and "give them what they want". "Give them what they want" includes female bodies. Not surprisingly; the anti-gun, anti-self defense blissninnies don't want the person who is attacked to hurt the misguided attacker with a knife or gun.

1. Be realistic about your ability to protect yourself.

2. Your instinct may be to scream, go ahead! It may startle your attacker and give you an opportunity to run away.

3. Kick off your shoes if you have time and can't run in them.

4. Don't take time to look back; just get away.

5. If your life is in danger, passive resistance may be your best defense.

6. Tell your attacker that you have a disease or are menstruating.

7. Vomiting or urinating may also convince the attacker to leave you alone.

8. Yelling, hitting or biting may give you a chance to escape, do it!

9. Understand that some actions on your part might lead to more harm.

10. Remember, every emergency situation is different. Only you can decide which action is most appropriate."

Colorado College Advises Vomiting Or Urinating To Stop Rapists After Lawmakers Pass Gun Control Bills

Mostly SA.
    Unlock your car with a key fob from no more than 15 feet away and check to make sure that the lights inside the car come on when it is unlocked.
    If you need to use a phone, use a hands free device such as a blue tooth.
    Don’t wear clothing that is easily removed if you are going to be walking alone.
    Don’t walk alone if you have that option and stay in well-lit areas with as much pedestrian traffic as possible.
    Walk with confidence at a smooth yet quick pace. Look like you belong and have someplace to be.
    Take a self-defense course. If you can’t get to your weapon, know how to protect yourself and disable your attacker.
    Try to always carry on your person. If an attacker grabs your purse and tosses it thinking that you might have a weapon, it does you no good.
    If someone grabs you and you cannot get away, do whatever possible to make as much noise as possible and make it as difficult for them as possible. I heard one situation where a woman was able to get a decent size rock and tossed it into traffic. It caused an accident and the guy ran away.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "Get a Rosey O'donnell costume complete with face mask "

^^ That would do it for me. I was going to post something but some might not find it tasteful or politically correct, and you guys know I wouldn't want to offend anyone's precious feelings.
    You're going to let that stop you now???

Just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    My first wife reduced the chances of her being raped by shooting the would be rapist between the eyes with a .357.
    Did it cause her any long term mental anguish? I'm assuming she killed the scumbag if she put one between his eyes.

One and only one thing I can think of to add:
    People too often come out of their front door and tunnel vision their eyes on their car and look nowhere else.
    They do the same when emerging from a store and into the parking lot: they look around until they find their car and then the blinders swing into position and they see nothing else ... by choice.
    I broke myself of the habit.
    Head on a swivel.
    But then I'm a suspicious old geezer so maybe that comes naturally.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

VIP Member
    Can't remember the name of the movie but I'm a guy and I still look in the back seat floorboard area before getting in the vehicle. Also when I come home I just have to check the house out before I relax. Maybe that comes from thirty years as a LEO. Also a car key in the hand between ur two best fingers makes an excellent defense weapon if you don't have anything better. Main thing is be aware of ur surroundings and follow ur gut feeling on things. It's trying to tell you something's not right with the picture.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "Get a Rosey O'donnell costume complete with face mask "

^^ That would do it for me. I was going to post something but some might not find it tasteful or politically correct, and you guys know I wouldn't want to offend anyone's precious feelings.
    C'mon Mister...tell us what you're REALLY THINKING!!!
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links