do your neighbors know

This is a discussion on do your neighbors know within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I live in a quiet but dense (by my standards) subdivision near Phoenix... 1/8-acre lots, party walls between yards, the standard "planned community" thing. My ...

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: do your neighbors know

I live in a quiet but dense (by my standards) subdivision near Phoenix... 1/8-acre lots, party walls between yards, the standard "planned community" thing. My next door neighbor of 10 years on one side is a former Marine, and last summer when he mentioned getting a Glock he became aware that I'm always armed. That led to a further discussion and he got to see the inside of my safe, as well as handle an AR which he hadn't done since he was in Viet Nam. If we were faced with a Katrina/Watts sort of civil unrest, I'd arm him in a jiffy and know he'd have my back.

Beyond that neighbor, the others come and go and I don't know many. If they are aware of my firearms, it's only passively from seeing me head out to the range with long-gun cases or a 1911 on my hip. I see no reason or advantage to tell anyone. Kind of a need-to-know type of thing.
    pfries, Bark'n and OD* like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

2. Remove Ads

I live in a very nice neighborhood so I don't worry about the neighbors knowing; and most do because I OC when I walk the dog. Nobody pays much attention even though I carry a 5" double stack 1911 on a pancake holster, not exactly hard to spot.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    I live in a very nice neighborhood so I don't worry about the neighbors knowing; and most do because I OC when I walk the dog. Nobody pays much attention even though I carry a 5" double stack 1911 on a pancake holster, not exactly hard to spot.
    Watch out, Oblamer will label your dog as an "Assault Dog" and go after it next.
    OD* likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    The fewer that know your business, the better.
    Mr B likes this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

VIP Member
    In my neighborhood I think most people have guns, but no one really talks about it that much. They don't hide it but it just doesn't come up in conversation.

However, my neighbor across the street said to me one day, "We're going out of town for a week so if you see anyone breaking into the house just shoot them and leave the body by the back door. I'll take it out for trash pick up next Thursday".

I love my neighbors
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Nah, they probably think it's a guitar case because I'm also a musician.
    l1a1 likes this.

In the neighborhood where our old house is, many of my neighbors knew we had guns and are instructors. The neighbor behind me has a key to my house and office and my alarm code to my home and office. I have a key to his house and his alarm code. I went shooting with several of my old neighbors.

In our new house which is rural, a few of our neighbors know we have guns and instruct CHL. We haven't lived here but a few months, and I have shot very little at our house, but others seem to shoot pretty often. Our current house was subject to vandalism while we had it under contract. I have made it known that there is an alarm system, video survellance and I won't have any problems with whipping a little snot nosed kids butt should they decide to do something stupid on our property, or doing what is necessary should an adult decide to do something stupid.

It probably isn't good to try to keep secrets when often I wear one of our CHL t-shirts with a large image of a handgun in the center of the back of it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I live in the country and all of my neighbors know I shoot. Many of them do as well. A guy in the next section across the road from me usually runs a belt through his water-cooled 1917 once a month, so my practice and test sessions are practically inconsequential. No break-ins or property damage for the 20 years we've been here.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    With all the gunfire emanating from my property, they probably suspect.
    Yep, I'm a country boy myself. If my neighbors don't know, they need to have their hearing checked.
    mkphillips likes this.

A few of my neighbors know, and looters in this sub would not do well.
    If we could sell, both my wife and I would like to be a bit more isolated in TX, OK, or even KY.
    As of now, it's not happening.

If we do move, I want to live in a place with stores like this... How You Know You're Shopping in Texas - YouTube
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    because I saw the new box in his trash.
    Fitting that this is in the Home Defense forum. This is exactly the reason I break down my boxes and turn them inside out. Ounce of prevention and all...so consider who sees you're new home theater box sitting on the curb...

As for the neighbors, I'm not close with them so it never comes up, but I wouldn't advertise it. I don't carry anything out under blankets or in nondescript bags, but I don't go out and flaunt my hobbies. I don't have NRA stickers on any vehicles. Heck, I even keep my office window shade drawn so people don't see I have a computer.

I see no reason to tell anyone anything. I sure wouldn't introduce with "oh, by the way I'm packing". I carry a gun all the time, when I'm home or when I'm out. Even at home it's never exposed. It is no body's business. Some one said it best earlier in this post...trust no one...ever.

Nope, nada, absolutely not. NO reason for them to know. I carry concealed even when I go out into my backyard, If I'm upstairs, I close my curtains if I pull out my gun because I don't want anyone to know.

Is it because I'm ashamed? Nope. It's because I want the absolute most surprise possible if and when I ever have to draw it.

Only my shooting friends know about my guns, everyone else do not, I don't advertise, don't know who is a thief, an unti or worst a deranged lunatic that could break in steal and use my guns in one of those horrible acts, one of the reasons I am opposed to government databases and newspapers disclosing the content of those databases for ratings (Both from posting and from reporting on news of the consenquences)
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

I don't trust anyone except maybe a friend or two and my brother, but neighbors? no way i have only known any one neighbor for a year tops. Some say I have trust issues, I like to think I'm just careful

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links