Road Trip

Road Trip

This is a discussion on Road Trip within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Greetings! My wife and I are planning a road trip soon where we will be traveling over 2000 miles round trip along with a trip ...

Thread: Road Trip

New Member Array SigmundJake229's Avatar

Question Road Trip

Greetings!

My wife and I are planning a road trip soon where we will be traveling over 2000 miles round trip along with a trip out of the Country in he middle. It goes without saying that I would like to bring a concealed carry weapon along with a decent stock of ammo. Normally there are only two places my weapon would be....on my person or in my safe. My problem is two fold. One, we will be leaving the country for a seven day trip out of the Country. I will not be able to bring my weapon with during those seven days. What can I do with my weapon? I will be 1000 miles from home, and would not be able to relax locking my weapon in my vehicle in commercially available lock boxes that they call "vehicle gun safe". Any suggestion on weapon storage away from home? In threads, I have read where some brought their weapon to a gun shop and essentially turned it over to the dealer for storage. The second part is that if I were going to maintain possession of my weapon for the whole trip, I would bring an AR with a good stockpile of ammo as well. Should I be happy with a handgun or is it reasonable to have a gun shop store two weapons?

I could not live with myself if I were put into a situation requiring a firearm and I didn't have the tools necessary to get the job done. I NEVER leave home without a weapon, and choose not to drink when we go out to have that a I ability.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

God bless America!

Sigmund Jake

Heading "out of the Country in the middle." Uncertain where that is.

What are the statutes and limitations in question, in the countries you are intending to visit?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

We are traveling to a cruise port and taking a cruise. Can't take a firearm with. I already contacted the carrier and asked. Thank you!

Jake
    Last edited by SigmundJake229; January 17th, 2013 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Forgot to thank the poster... I'm sorry

Sounds kind of scary to think about it, but if you can't find an LGS who'd put it up for a while, maybe you could pawn it for a short term? Granted my pawn knowledge is pretty much all television based, but I imagine if you walked in and said you'd pawn it for $50 and you'd pay back $100 within a week, I wouldn't think you'd have much trouble with that deal.

Actually not a bad idea Spovik. My experience is all TV based as well.....except for going into pawn shops and finding overpriced stuff that I never buy....... Not bad. I will google gun shops and pawn stores in the area we are traveling to and see where it takes me. I appreciate your time, thank you!

Just find a very great hiding spot for your pistol in your car. You'll be surprised what you can do with some Gorilla brand duct tape and some magnets for hiding a pistol.

Was facing a similar challenge last year.

My GF and I, along with a couple of buddies were planning to ride the Harley's to the Laconia N.H. Motorcycle Rally from Mississippi, then riding up through Canada, returning back to the U.S. at Niagara Falls, NY. Always have two pistols with me, wherever I go, but know I couldn't carry into Canada. I carry under the authority of the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act, so wasn't concerned about any state within the U.S., but that little jog above our border was causing me concern.

I considered taking the firearms to an FFL in Maine, and having them shipped to an FFL in NY. Cost me $100.00 probably to do it this way, and figured I could probably find two FFL's that would accommodate me. Finally decided to leave the guns at a buddies house in Maine (in his gun safe), and then back track to his house once we returned to the U.S.

Never took the trip however, as I had a rear tire blow out on us at 60MPH, before we had a chance to take that trip. I broke three ribs and messed up my right shoulder, and my GF had to have surgery to repair a fractured collar bone. We spent the rest of the year rehabilitating instead.

We're just about back to 100% now though, and probably going to ride to Sturgis, SD this coming summer instead.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Glad to hear you and your GF are on the mend! What is ironic is my steadfast reasons for carrying a weapon ALWAYS is due to attending a Col. Grossman seminar. I serve as a part time sheepdog but spent most my adult life as a paramedic. In a blink of an eye life can totally be changed.
    God Bless America!!!

Sigmund Jake 229
    NRA Life Member

In valor there is hope

As to pawn shops, I read "somwhere" that if you pawn a gun, you have to do a background check and pay the fees to get it back. May vary by state. Just something to think about.
    Of course if you trust the lockers at bus/ train stations, you could always store them there. Not an AR, obviously.
    On our last cruise, we just left them hidden in the vehicle in the secured lot at the terminal.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Sponsored Links