Defensive Carry banner

Wake County NC to consider unarmed guards for grade schools.

3K views 34 replies 31 participants last post by  Yoda 
#1 ·
Wake County school board to consider guards for elementary schools

Raleigh, N.C. — The Wake County Board of Education is expected to vote Tuesday on a proposal to put one unarmed security guard at each elementary school in the district.

If approved, the measure would cost $835,000 for three months or nearly $2.4 million for a year for a contract with AlliedBarton Security Services. The company already provides security for some of the schools in the district.

Board Chairman Keith Sutton said the recommendation comes after a review of the district’s security policy in the wake of the mass shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut, where 20 first-graders and six staff members lost their lives.

"We reviewed our practices and looked at security at several of our schools," he said. "We were particularly concerned after our review at some of the elementary schools."
Wake County school board to consider guards for elementary schools :: WRAL.com

Most of the high schools and some middle schools in Wake County have school resource officers who are armed.
If the high schools and some of the middle schools have armed guards why not provide the same security at elementary schools. Or maybe it just gives them such a warm fuzzy feeling to have a guard dog with no teeth.

#2 ·
Well, I think it's a start. One good guy with a gun is better than none.

#4 ·
Most high schools in my area have a deputy from the sheriffs dept on site during school hours. They offset costs by ticketing the kids ( parking tickets ) It is nice to have a assigned deputy to each school. They get to know the kids. They figure who is good and who isn't.

#8 ·
Unarmed guards backed up by unarmed school staff. There's a recipe for disaster. They'll probably have to be rescued by one of the student packing heat.

Reactions: TX expat
#12 ·
Yes, but with all the extra 'unarmed' individuals, just think about how many more calls to 911 there can be?:banghead:

#10 ·
I did not catch that. A report that I read earlier stated armed guards from Allied Barton. With all due respect to any of the many unarmed security guards on this site (I used to be a NC Security Officer instructor - PPSB), an unarmed guard will be a waste of money if the intent is to avoid shootings in schools.

#11 ·
Our local high and middle schools have an armed county cop (student resource officer) on staff at every school. They are very involved and get to know the kids. They are not just assigned to the schools, they actually apply to be put there and go thru special training. Most work open to close, at sports games, etc...I think more schools in the US should consider it. We also have metal detectors at every entrance and all kids get scanned/searched/wanded in the morning. Too bad its come to this but welcome to the real world.

#13 ·
I'd say this must be a joke, but ya just can't make this stuff up.

#15 ·
Well this will be a big waste of tax dollars. An unarmed guard is no guard at all.

#17 ·
In my area we have armed deputies as School Resource Officers. Single deputies, tasked with dealing with everything and anything that comes up at the school. Not the same thing (IMO) as having a team dedicated to protecting the school property from wack jobs intent on causing problems like the one at Sandy Hook Elementary.

It is better than nothing, but putting unarmed security guards doesn't accomplish much more than knee jerk peace of mind for politicians I'd say. An unarmed security guy can't face a threat. He shouldn't even be called a security guard. He should be called a "run like hell and hide" guy, because without the proper training and equipment, he's just another victim/target.

Harden/Secure the schools with limited ingress/egress, locking "man trap" systems, and arm your team. It isn't that expensive, in the big picture. Now we're making positive progress I think.

#18 ·
Unarmed seems rather pointless. After all, they've already got unarmed staff all over the place, at the average school. It's not as though many of them have been able to stop truly violent things from happening, previously.

#21 ·
Parent volunteers would be just as effective as unarmed guards: and a lot less costly as well.

A parent, even unarmed, is more likely to try to protect the kids, than someone making minimum wage to walk around in a uniform.

#22 ·
Yup.

Back in the day, many parents would volunteer and donate time at the school, assisting with this or that for a few hours. In a grade school of ~30 classes of 20 students, we'd often see ~5-10 parents around the school helping in the library, helping teachers prepare materials, etc. This was over 40yrs ago, when dual-parent, single-income households seemed the norm and when the stay-at-home parent could afford to head to the school now and then. It was also prior to the range of bold and violent assaults we have these days.

Though, I still think such volunteering of time could make a strong impact, particularly if in combination with allowing CHL teachers/administration to be armed on campus.

#23 ·
Maybe...................

I hate to say this,and have NO evidence,but probably TOO MANY Northeast liberals have moved into the Raleigh area! The same groups I dealt with in uniform in NYC.:frown:

#31 ·
David and Goliath System
All unarmed guards will be giving a sling shot and a box of rocks.... :yup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.