How far are you at this moment from your HD firearm?

This is a discussion on How far are you at this moment from your HD firearm? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Arms length....

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree202Likes

Thread: How far are you at this moment from your HD firearm?

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Arms length.
    Ghost1958 and Sky Pilot like this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Slightly closer than my belt, but further away than my underwear.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Within arms reach of my 12ga.

In my house I am never more than a couple of steps away from a loaded firearm. Either have it on me or know where it's stashed.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Both handguns are in the safe...so, I guess I don't have a HD firearm.
    Honor is self-esteem made visible in action. - Ayn Rand

joined at the hip

Oh about 15" or so from 16+1 of Winchester 124gr+P PDX1. Two .38s and a 12ga about 15ft away and two (crappy) apartment doors locked for whomever to get through first, although that wouldn't take too long. Can't wait til I move next month.

I usually have something nearby. I used to leave them in the safe, but I decided that it is too much time to get to the guns, and that is also time that I could have a weapon pointed at the entryway and have 911 on the phone sending the cavalry.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Holstered at 3:30 -4:00 position
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Right now at this moment how far are you from your HD firearm whatever it is? On you? Arms reach? In another room?

If you door was kicked in right now while your reading this by home invader/s could you get to your weapon before they got to you?

Just curious and a little food for thought.
    Typically never more than about 15 feet, or I'm wearing it.
    Last edited by GlassWolf; January 20th, 2013 at 12:16 PM.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by GraySkies View Post
    Right now I'm in my jammies drinking a cup of hot chocolate and not really worrying about the BG showing up. I know I probably shouldn't let my guard down, but on a Saturday morning at home with a good fire going and my dog laying on my feet keeping them warm, I tend to take a more relaxed view of life. Code white for sure. Sue me.
    A person has to have some down time. That's what your castle is for. You should be allowed to decompress while you're in your own home.

However, a castle must be fortified and guarded in order to provide sanctuary for the occupants. That hasn't changed since Medieval times when a castle was really a castle with a moat and built of stone.

Today we have modern home invasions. People use a ruse to try and get you to lower the gate and open the door, or they just flat out kick the door in. Having your home's entry points fortified allows time to alert you, and allows time for you to reach your defensive arms.

Taking responsibility for your own defenses is just that... taking responsibility. If you haven't reinforced and hardened the entry points of their castle, you can't act surprised if someone can kick it in with one or two stiff blows.

If someone is going to use a ruse and pounce on you when you open the door, then you should probably be armed when you open the door. If your door is fragile enough to cave in with one or two realistic kicks to it, then you should probably be armed at all times inside the home and not let your guard down very much. If you have a fairly secure castle and have hardened the entry points, you have the ability and the time to sit back and safely relax like you should be able to inside your home.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Currently, on my hip and usually never farther than arm's length.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Distance from my hand, or my hip?
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Walther PPQ 9mm on my hip.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Wearing it

Re: How far are you at this moment from your HD firearm?

Arms length

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links