guns safes with electronic locks?

This is a discussion on guns safes with electronic locks? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Weeg Gee. I wonder if an asteroid hits the earth, and creates a huge flux-capacitor cloud, will my Gun Safe be able ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: guns safes with electronic locks?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Weeg View Post
    Gee. I wonder if an asteroid hits the earth, and creates a huge flux-capacitor cloud, will my Gun Safe be able to be opened? :)
    Actually the whole 'solar flare' idea is far from implausible. I was just reading an article on this about a week ago and it seems our sun goes through a regular cycle of activity, and we are due for that cycle to start up fairly soon. We haven't seen a catastrophically large solar flare since the mid 1800's, but if we experience another one of that size, it would be devastating. Of course your firearms would still be accessible, but you'd have to hack into your gun safe with hand tools, because we'd be without any power grids.

The one, and possibly only, saving grace from an event of that magnitude is the scientists would have a short window of time to alert the public that the event was headed this way. The question then becomes would they broadcast a warning and start a global panic or just let it come since there would be little preemptive good that an individual could do anyway.
    GetSmith and pgrass101 like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

2. Remove Ads

I talked to a guy that works on vaults and safes. He said that to get a good reliable electronic lock you have to spend at least $400, (on the lock) to get a commercial quality lock. He said the ones on these "gunsafes" are pretty prone to failure, the main complaint is that the little "pressure" style buttons give out. A mechanical lock can get dirty, and will eventually fail to open too, but he said that you'll know when it needs work, because it will just start getting harder and harder to open, so it gives you warning to get it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    My dealer carries both electronic and digital. He told me digitals fail at a 100 to 1 rate over dial, or some such.
    And this is why I've gone manual locks. Swapped out electronic for manual, on my big safe. Didn't want to have the system fail at a bad time.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    My first safe had an electronic lock. Fast, convenient, and I never mis keyed the combination. It was mostly trouble free for the 6 years I owned it, but would occasionally barf in the middle of an unlock and fail to open. Always worked on the second attempt.

When shopping for my current safe I opted for a mechanical lock. Solid, proven technology. Once in a great while I will fumble the sequence, but that is rare. I can open the safe in less than 20 seconds most days.

The big reasons for getting the mechanical are not dealing with battery changes, risk of lock failure, and EMP. There are thousands of antique safes with dial locks, some around 100 years old or more, that work, and work well.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

My wife recently told me to start looking into a gun safe. I told her I already started learning about them. I want a gun safe with e lock for my guns I don't use much and a biometric lock box for my HD/CC gun. We have a 2 yr old girl so that's why I'm getting a lock box and a safe. Better safe than sorry. LOL.

Senior Moderator
    I like mechanical locks, they are more trouble free in the long run
    bmcgilvray and ctr like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

guns safes with electronic locks?

Re biometric locks on gun safes - be wary of these. Consider if the biometric reader will scan properly if your fingerprint is obscured by wetness (water, sweat, blood) or dirt.

We have a small GunVault (for several handguns) with 4 pushbuttons next to the bed. It works off AC power, has a battery backup, AND a key backup. The key for the large gun safe (for the long guns) is in there too.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I have an electronic lock. I didn't like the feature when I chose the safe but determined to live with it due to price/size/other features of the safe I selected. It's given no trouble but the thought intrudes. I never saw a mechanical lock fail in the banks in which I worked and some were more intricate and complicated than the simple mechanical lock provided on the typical gun safe and were more heavily used.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I chose the S & G mechanical for my Liberty safe because dials are what I grew up with. It obviously takes longer to open or you can just lock it with the key for quicker access when your around. My friend had an electronic on his for many years and then had it replaced due to his concerns about solar flares, emp, etc.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Guys--thanks for all the replies. I think I will go with the mechanical. Cabela's is soon to have its 2nd Amendment sale, and I have been told that the safes will be on sale as well---every little bit of $$ saved is a good thing.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Biometrics are certainly interesting technology, but I read that finger prints change over time. Anyone know if that is true?

I have all mechanical locks.....I also have a real phone line not a digital one.
    "If 10% is good enough for Jesus, it ought to be enough for Uncle Sam" Ray Stevens

I have a older electronic safe that operates off 4 AA batteries. It's a real battery eater. I only use it now on occasions I know kids are around.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links