guns safes with electronic locks?

This is a discussion on guns safes with electronic locks? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I asked in another thread about in-the-wall safes. I have decided to buy a real safe--free-standing--and simply secure it to the wall. However, I was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: guns safes with electronic locks?

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

guns safes with electronic locks?

I asked in another thread about in-the-wall safes. I have decided to buy a real safe--free-standing--and simply secure it to the wall.

However, I was planning on buying one with an electronic lock for quicker access, but my wife asked me: "what happens if we get a huge solar flare, or an EMP burst? How will that affect your ability to get into the safe?" (what a great question)

I was just dumbfound-- I haven't got a clue.

Any of you electronics experts out there know the answer to this??
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Well, Fort Knox Safes makes an EMP-proof electronic lock. They are the only ones that I know of that do this... Or, you could just go with a safe that has a standard lock.
    "All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife." - Daniel Boone

My dealer carries both electronic and digital. He told me digitals fail at a 100 to 1 rate over dial, or some such.
    gasmitty, ccw9mm and bmcgilvray like this.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

If a solar flare is strong enough to fry my electronic lock, I've got bigger issues...like finding some 5000 spf sun block.

I wanted a dial, but found a great deal on an older safe that had an electronic lock installed. I like it because it can be re-programmed. It also has a 30 minute lockout after 3 bad inputs. I've had to change the battery a couple times, and it was no problem. It's quick access. After many years, I've never had a failure of any kind.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Lots of what if's with a electronic lock. I went with a mechanical and I can access it quicker than an electronic lock. When I get home the safe is opened, I place my keys and wallet in it. Then I lock it and turn the dial almost to the last number. If I need quick access it's just 1 turn then open versus punching a few numbers and waiting for a delay for the lock to open. The keys / wallet go in so I remember to fully reset the lock before I leave the home.
    Chaplain Scott and KBSR like this.

Mechanical, but that's just me. Never an issue.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

I have an electronic lock safe bought new through Wayfair (free shipping). It has a key option for opening if the batteries fail, etc. I really like it - very fast access.

Also got a standalone safe - 2.3 ft3 since I only have handguns. It is fireproof and waterproof. I secured it to the floor in a closet by putting steel straps over top and steel angle irons on the open front an side (so it cannot be slid out). All these are secured through the flooring using about 20 carriage bolts (no slots or way to unscrew), with lock washers and nuts underneath in the crawl space. PIA to install, but also for someone to try and remove. I also built shelving all around it. Very satisfied and confident with the security it provides. Here is a picture:

Safe_1.JPG
    Smarshe likes this.

I have two safes, one mechanical and one electronic...both have worked without a hitch for over 7 years.
    The nice thing about the electronic lock is that I don't need my glasses or much light to open it.

I have firearms in both.
    oldnfat and Rock and Glock like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Re: guns safes with electronic locks?

I have an electronic for vital documents, and a biometric for my pistol (when I get it next week).

Both if them came with keys should the electronics fail.

I just installed a vault door with a mechanical lock after doing quite a bit of research, my other safes all have mechanical. On “The High Road” forum there’s a couple of pretty good safe guys. Bottom line is that:

1. All locks are not created equal; you do get what you pay for.
    2. All stated that they see more issues with electronic locks (See #1)

Here’s a decent article on electronic VS manual:

Electronic vs. Dial Locks on Gunsafes « Daily Bulletin

What a Professional Locksmith Says:

For the convenience of quick opening, the electronic locks can’t be beat. However, for endurance and years of trouble-free use, the electronics can’t compare with the dial lock.
    Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    If a solar flare is strong enough to fry my electronic lock, I've got bigger issues...like finding some 5000 spf sun block.

I wanted a dial, but found a great deal on an older safe that had an electronic lock installed. I like it because it can be re-programmed. It also has a 30 minute lockout after 3 bad inputs. I've had to change the battery a couple times, and it was no problem. It's quick access. After many years, I've never had a failure of any kind.
    You can also change the combination on a mechanical dial lock.

VIP Member
    After a bunch of looking around and checking out bunches of opinions, I opted for a traditional mechanical lock for mine.

Yes, the e-locks are more convenient but I've read enough opinions of them that basically go something like 'most locks will provide a lifetime of trouble-free service, but if a lock is going to fail, 90% of the time it's a e-lock failing'.

I decided that the convenience wasn't worth the potential hassle and like stated above, you can easily change the combination of a mechanical lock with a change key. I bought one for $8 and changed my combination to something easier to remember and dial and it took about 5 minutes total.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinlifter View Post
    I have an electronic for vital documents, and a biometric for my pistol (when I get it next week).

Both if them came with keys should the electronics fail.
    ^^ That.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    ^^ That.
    Except he's talking about free standing "real" safes. Those won't have key access. There are some that have an entire backup mechanical lock, but those are really pricey options.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Gee. I wonder if an asteroid hits the earth, and creates a huge flux-capacitor cloud, will my Gun Safe be able to be opened? :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links