Armed Robbery real scenario - what would you have done? - Page 2

Armed Robbery real scenario - what would you have done?

This is a discussion on Armed Robbery real scenario - what would you have done? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My state allows me to shoot when someone is being held at gunpoint, imminent danger and they cannot safely retreat. My first thought would be ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Armed Robbery real scenario - what would you have done?

My state allows me to shoot when someone is being held at gunpoint, imminent danger and they cannot safely retreat. My first thought would be to move into a concealment position, probably prone so my bullets would be at a safer angle. I'd keep my gun concealed because there are always cops in or around a mall and I'm not wearing a uniform so I wouldn't want to be the victim of an unfortunate misunderstanding. And of course, my cell phone would be drawn, and after the 911 call I'd be filming.

Jewelry store clerks have silent alarms and are trained to deal with robberies, so it's unlikely I would shoot unless I saw store clerks being executed. It's probably the best strategy to let a robber in a mall think he's getting away and let the cops get him out by his car, because you wouldn't want him grabbing a kid to use as a hostage.
    Last edited by BelaOkmyx; January 20th, 2013 at 03:56 PM.

...whether to intervene or just be a witness depends not only on the specific circumstances but one's background, training, and personal situation...what COULD it cost me...can I make a difference without making things worse, etc...can we let the robber do his thing and leave, or does he start herding folks to the back or start shooting...it's good "training" to run through these scenarios to make us sharper...but each man's decision at the time is different...and to be respected...it's HIS life...

My initial thought would be to let things play out. Most clerks/bank tellers are trained to be cooperative. Give them what they want and let LE figure it out later. If it became REALLY clear to me that someones life was in immediate danger I think I might then take action.

Bottom line is that is a very difficult situation that I hope to never be involved in!

I couldn't live with myself if I just let it play out.

If you see something wrong, DO something about it.

The attitude of standing back with a "It's not my problem" mindset is why things have moved down that slippery slope to where we are today.

Bide your time, play it careful, sure, but ACT for what is right.

Like was mentioned it all comes down to previous experience. I dont think anyone can truly answer the question unless they were in a situation like that. Were the bg waving a handgun? Was anyone in imminent danger? Last thing going through my mind would be getting accidentally shot by the police. In my mind the first thing would be the police ordering me to drop my weapon and put my hands up and a felony situation which would get sorted out and they figure out I am a gg. But unless I am actually in a situation where I fear imminent bodily harm to myself or other I couldn't say if i would tuck tail and run or make a stand.

Quote Originally Posted by uberrogue View Post
    Like was mentioned it all comes down to previous experience. I dont think anyone can truly answer the question unless they were in a situation like that. Were the bg waving a handgun? Was anyone in imminent danger? Last thing going through my mind would be getting accidentally shot by the police. In my mind the first thing would be the police ordering me to drop my weapon and put my hands up and a felony situation which would get sorted out and they figure out I am a gg. But unless I am actually in a situation where I fear imminent bodily harm to myself or other I couldn't say if i would tuck tail and run or make a stand.
    I don't know about that, if a cop thinks you're an immediate danger to him and you're armed, you're getting shot. And you have no idea what he's going to think when he sees you. There are stupid cops.

It makes a big difference what kind of weapon is involved too. If it was a rifle I probably wouldn't challenge him with a concealable handgun. If he had a handgun I would watch and wait, and if it was a knife or club, I'd consider moving in. A trickier one is if this is an unarmed robbery and people are getting punched and display cases ripped open.

Armed Robbery real scenario - what would you have done?

Quote Originally Posted by TVille View Post
    Are you a cop? Police officers have a duty/requirement to engage differently than you do. They deal with irate folks daily. I don't. Unless he is a direct threat to me, or folks around me, and I can't get out, which means if he shoots them he might shoot me, I'm leaving. Yes it is selfish, but I carry to protect me, my family, and (some) friends. If you want to intervene in something like that, you need to become a cop. Now, as I said, if they place me in the middle of it, different issue. If confronted by a cop, you could be shot. It is a possibility, but I am not aware of it happening.
    Nope, not a cop... And agree with what you've and many others have said here. I appreciate the honesty. I'm no vigilante. My wife and I talked about it since we both carry, and both agree that we would try to withdraw from the situation, if possible. My main reason is because of the innocents and threat to my family. For the first reason, I think about the back rooms behind the walls, and I don't know who is back there.

I'm happy to see we're not too far off-based from what has been discussed here.

I wouldn't have intervened unless I felt the BG was about to start shooting. The most likely way for that to play out is for the clerk to give the BG the jewelry or whatever else he asks for and then for the BG to leave without harming anyone. If you intervene you could very likely escalate the situation and get someone killed, including yourself or an innocent bystander.
    ”Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security.”
    Ben Franklin

Wouldnt know unless I was actually there what I would do other than work to get in a spot to have the drop if I needed it.

I just realized thats what I always post to these what if topics. Jeez Im so boring

Edited : Wait I got it!!! Id shoot once in the air and yell IM WYATT EARP, IT ALL STOPS NOW!! Doing my best Kevin Costner impression of course

Oh look, it's another "What would you do about a shooter in a mall" thread.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    based on the information presented, if I had (opportunity) to discretely unholster, I would have.
    If escape for me was the easy option, I'd choose it.

If the unfolding incident had the two cops holding the guy on the floor, I would keep my pistol at my side, but certainly NOT pointed at
    the (3) people on the ground.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    If I can retreat to safe out of threat location,I first monitor my/family well being then stay aware of scenario. Never want to be mistaken for bad guy once firearm is displayed. Never know who is carrying around you

VIP Member
    They should have tried to rob a Jared's instead - after all, they post enormous No Guns signs with all the legalese on the front door (at least here in TN).
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I would only react if I was in th store. Hopefully I would get a reward of anything in the store I want. :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links