Almost had to pull the pistol out this morning

This is a discussion on Almost had to pull the pistol out this morning within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I apologize if I came on too strong in my above posts. I understand what you're saying and don't really disagree. It's just that we ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Almost had to pull the pistol out this morning

I apologize if I came on too strong in my above posts. I understand what you're saying and don't really disagree. It's just that we own three dogs and two of them are Pit Bull mixes. They are very much members of the family and I would be devastated if anyone shot them. Like a lot of gun issues, Pit Bulls are always in the news when something bad happens. While ours are always on a leash during walks or in a fenced in yard, accidents do happen. I'd hate to think that if one of them got out someone would see them and go "OMG Pit Bull!" and just callously shoot them. A lot of people have a very bad impression of Pit Bulls, not unlike some folks reaction to guns, so I admit I have a knee jerk reaction to such things.
    I had a really great black lab as a pet for the better part of last decade and I loved him.
    Did you ever get another dog? I knew a guy who lived just down the road who had a chocolate Lab. It followed him everywhere when he went on walks and never needed a leash, because he was so mild mannered. When he finally died the guy was heart broken. I don't think he ever got another dog and that was 15 years ago, or so.

Oh and sorry, to the OP, I didn't mean to send your thread off on a tangent!
    aus71383 likes this.
    "Hell is truth seen too late."

2. Remove Ads

Neighbors are to far away to worry about their dogs being here. Problem here is strays and coyote dog crossbreeds.

Just being in my yard wont get one shot as long as it makes tracks when I come out. Aggressive or a nuisance ...... doggone
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Eichorn View Post

Given that your average Pit Bull is about 60 pounds, I find it a bit odd that an adult male human should feel that threatened by something they outweigh by 3 times.
    My lab is in the 60 lb range, and the pit bull that came after me was much larger than my lab. But even if it was only 60 lbs, how much inertia does a 60 lb dog have at 25 mph? I would have been knocked on the ground in an instant. I have been growled at and warned by dogs before, and nothing happened, but this one was charging me at full speed, and I let it get within 10 ft before I pulled the trigger. Another poster said they would have done the same thing and not lost any sleep over it, but I did lose sleep, it really bothered me. This dog was someones pet, and I wish it wouldn't have happened. I like to get along with my neighbors, now I have one that is upset with me. But I did what I needed to do to defend myself, and if things worked out the same way, I would do that same thing again.

If a dog is running at me with teeth bared, I'm pulling and shooting. I am not waiting to find out whether it just wants to smell me or see how I taste. That being said, If I know, not think, but know that I can get to the safety of my car or house before the dog reaches me, then there's no reason to pull a gun.

I have dogs (had, we put one down last summer, sadly, so now we only have one). I love my pets and would feel horrible having to put someone else's pet down. However, it is their responsibility to control their dog, not mine to play dog-whisperer.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Never bitten by a dog. If I am walking I carry a big stick,even pit bulls do not like a whack on the head.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Contact LEO's, file a report , speak with your neighbor. Explain what happened and make it clear that this was the second incident. If the Leo's have cleared you to use force then explain to your neighbor you will take appropriate action next time. The biggest thing is make sure you report every incident. That way if you do have to defend yourself or your dogs it is documented that this was an ongoing problem. Other than that, shoot straight and be safe.

I've been reading this off and on.... Why not just see if you can spend some time with your neighbor and his dog and establish a relationship with the animal? It's not a guarantee, but it will likely be better received by your neighbor if you are willing to make an effort.

As for the "not my responsibility" crowd, I agree the ultimate responsibility is with the owner, but why not offer to be part of the solution and truly leave the firearm for when all other options have been explored in good faith? Logically I understand the "if you're dog's on my property again..." argument, but I don't know many who'd react well to that.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by palmcoaster View Post
    Very interesting morning.I put my dogs out every morning at the same time like clockwork everyday.This morning, I'm taking my last dog(leashed) out of the garage Anne around the side of the house to put him in his kennel. now my dogs are American bullys so I don't need to say more. As I round the corner of the the house , my neighbors bully comes ripping into my yard at full speed. Fortunately I got inside my gate and got it shut just as the other dog slammed into my fence. I open carry on my property while home and was prepared to gun my neighbors dog down. Two steps behind where I was and I would have had to. This is the second time. Any thoughts on what your response would have been?
    Having the same problem with our neighbors Basset Hound, can you believe a Basset Hound? I have gone over to the neighbor and had a talk with them, they were pretty good about it, but I let them know if they could not keep it on the leash, they would be having problems with the law. So far so good.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Quote Originally Posted by kdydak View Post
    Have a chat with your neighbor about letting aggressive dog run around (especially since you say this is a second time).

If that does not do the trick then call a deputy and both of you have a chat about what will happen to him if his dog attacks a person.

I started carrying pepper spray after I had to pull a gun on an aggressive dog, but if the dog was willing to slam himself into a fence to get to you then you are way past pepper spray.
    Not necessarily. Dog's sense of smell is something like 2,000 times more acute than humans. Their snouts are very sensitive. If he gets a good dose of a quality OC spray like Fox Labs, with 5.2 million scoville heat units to the eyes, nose and face, you'd be surprised that he may never come around again.

I'm not talking about a metered dose from one of the key chain sized OC sprays (which Fox Labs does make), but get yourself a larger 2 oz size of Fox Labs 5.2 that keeps spraying a stream as long as you hold the button down. Hose him down real good, and he'll remember the effect for a long time. (I prefer the stream delivery rather than the fog pattern. However, the foam type may work well on a dog).

Fox Labs also makes a newer version called Mean Green but I have no experience with that.

It's definitely worth a try before resorting to lethal force.
    USM1976, atctimmy and Eichorn like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Yeah, hopefully the neighbor will help get things under control. I'd hate to shoot a dog for being, well, a dog... But I'd do that before I'd let one of my dogs get attacked, and possibly killed, by any animal on my property.
    I too would avoid a 'war' on the homefront.

Almost had to pull the pistol out this morning

If this was happening to me I wouldn't say anything to the neighbor because the dog is probably doing this to other people as well and when that dog winds up dead, and it will, you will get the blame. I would keep my mouth shut and leave something to eat for that dog that puts him in a deep sleep forever with no bullet holes or exchange of words with my neighbor. That's just how I roll.
    malexander likes this.

Depends on the neighbor. If they're good people who simply don't realize their dog is like this when they're not around, talk to them. They need to fence that dog in.

On the other hand, when I was a kid we had a crazy neighbor down the street who had two out of control Dobermans. The key word in that sentence is, "had."

Only had to shoot a dog once after repeated trips to the neighbors and after calling LEO. My inlaws have 17 acres and horses. These new people moved in in front of them and figured because they were out in the country they could just let their Shepard run. Well the only running it did was under the Hot fence and chase the horses into the fence. My mother in law was firmly against shooting it until I explained to her Look, if those horses make it through the fence and out to the road where someone gets killed after hitting one of them, you are in serious trouble! They have been warned numerous times by us and the local police. The police stood there and told us and the neighbors that in the event that dog runs your horses again you are lawfully allowed to kill it to protect your horses. I hated to but the threat was too great and when that happens you have to act! So I did. The people were lowlifes and drunks and moved shortly after.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eichorn View Post
    Given that your average Pit Bull is about 60 pounds, I find it a bit odd that an adult male human should feel that threatened by something they outweigh by 3 times. Now, I'm not saying there aren't instances where a 60 pound dog would be a threat to someone, but I feel it needs to be kept in perspective.

In my experience a lot of people are not only irresponsible dog owners, but rubbish when it comes to understanding how dogs communicate and interact.
    How much do police dogs typically weigh? How do you know if the dog you are facing has attack training?

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    I made this banner for a friend who is staunchly anti-gun, but very much a proponent of pit bull terriers. I hope this makes my point for everyone.

bit bull ar-15_2.jpg
    Spovik likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links