Almost had to pull the pistol out this morning

This is a discussion on Almost had to pull the pistol out this morning within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Very interesting morning.I put my dogs out every morning at the same time like clockwork everyday.This morning, I'm taking my last dog(leashed) out of the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Almost had to pull the pistol out this morning

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar

Almost had to pull the pistol out this morning

Very interesting morning.I put my dogs out every morning at the same time like clockwork everyday.This morning, I'm taking my last dog(leashed) out of the garage Anne around the side of the house to put him in his kennel. now my dogs are American bullys so I don't need to say more. As I round the corner of the the house , my neighbors bully comes ripping into my yard at full speed. Fortunately I got inside my gate and got it shut just as the other dog slammed into my fence. I open carry on my property while home and was prepared to gun my neighbors dog down. Two steps behind where I was and I would have had to. This is the second time. Any thoughts on what your response would have been?

2. Remove Ads

Have a chat with your neighbor about letting aggressive dog run around (especially since you say this is a second time).

If that does not do the trick then call a deputy and both of you have a chat about what will happen to him if his dog attacks a person.

I started carrying pepper spray after I had to pull a gun on an aggressive dog, but if the dog was willing to slam himself into a fence to get to you then you are way past pepper spray.

You were very lucky for sure. You should Tell your neighbor exactly what happened, and what will happen to the dog if it occurs again. My neighbor has a house dog, that is friendly when he is around, unfortunately he is nit always around. One day she lunged at me and my Grand-daughter. I was about two seconds away from pulling my S&W 40 IWB which I always wear, and was fully prepared to shoot the mongrel. Lucky for the dog, the owner came around the corner of his house and saw what his dog was doing to me and the grand-daughter. After we had few heated words, I told him if I ever see this dog on my property without him or not on a leash it will be shot. He knew I was serious. This was over two years and so far, we have not seen that dog.
    One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but it can NOT be taken away unless it is surrendered.

Just finished that talk. Dog is friendly to me but not other dogs. He was headed right for him

VIP Member
    Yeah, hopefully the neighbor will help get things under control. I'd hate to shoot a dog for being, well, a dog... But I'd do that before I'd let one of my dogs get attacked, and possibly killed, by any animal on my property.
    MrsHB, aus71383, atctimmy and 1 others like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

The last thing I would want to do is to shoot any dog, yet alone my neighbor's dog. Fences make good neighbors, shooting their dog does not.
    You still have to live next to that guy, and that could turn into the "Hatfields and the McCoys". Talking out things like this is the only way to then justify the need to put a 'real' dangerous dog down.
    I think that there should be a police report somewhere in between the 'talk' and the 'shot'...I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Let your neighbor know what's going on and that you'll call animal control to take care of the matter if need be. That puts the ball in your neighbor's court to respond.
    pfries likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Almost 20 years ago I was attacked by me neighbor's 2 pitbulls on MY property while sweeping MY sidewalk. I called the police, who called animal control, who believed the guy who said I came into his yard (I was the only person outside and they were letting their dogs run loose even with a leash law in town limits). I talked to the Police Chief and he told me to OC on my property and if they came back in my yard to shoot them. I did carry, but ended up moving. Neighbors who are irresponsible with their dogs are difficult to deal with. I don't envy your position.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

hope all works out in the future .
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by palmcoaster View Post
    Just finished that talk. Dog is friendly to me but not other dogs. He was headed right for him
    Positive results?

Any animal on my property acting aggressively towards me or my family (or pets) is likely to get shot. I'm glad you got behind the fence in time - this time. What is your neighbor promising to do different now?

Austin

As for positive results, neighbor states that he doesnt know how back door got left open(at 6:45am). I then stated my position. Next time won't be pretty. I called Leo to make sure a note wad made in system for future reference

Animal Police are on top of it here..I'd talk to neighbors first.And show the seriuosness of the situation..Or if you dont think that will work..
    Just report it,
    cause If they dont do anything to control it now, they probalyyyy wont after you talk to them either..

Someone mentioned pepper spray. I had a dog got sprayed with pepper spray twice after she chased a cat into the neighbors yard. After the second time, she never crossed into that yard again.
    DPro.40, atctimmy and Bark'n like this.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

My two dogs were on a leash and attacked on the street by a nasty unleashed Boxer. Dog is friendly to people, hates other dogs. 1st time I called police, report written, HOA contacted, spoke with owner who lives 10 door down. Second time, dog was maced as it closed in. Called police, 2nd report filed, HOA report written, owner fined by HOA, and I told owner if it happens again, dog would be shot if it gets within 10 feet. Never saw dog or owner again. I think he fenced in his yard. Officer told me that if I am threatened by an unleashed dog on the street, I am within my rights to shoot it especially with 2 reports already filed. As a dog lover it would be tough but my dogs are much smaller and unable to take the aggressive dog. My Jack Russell had blood on his back the last time from a small cut. Took photos too.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links