Securing Firearm In Car

This is a discussion on Securing Firearm In Car within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sorry if this is the wrong area mods. I live in an apartment building that is on the campus of the college I attend, and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Securing Firearm In Car

Securing Firearm In Car

Sorry if this is the wrong area mods.

I live in an apartment building that is on the campus of the college I attend, and therefore I can't store my EDC in my apartment or else face disciplinary action from the school if they learn I have a firearm in my room.

Currently I keep my S&W Shield at my girlfriend's house who lives about thirty minutes away. My question is whether or not it would be a reasonable idea to store my Shield in my car. I park in an underground parking area that has to be accessed by key card. There are about forty-five other vehicles that park down there and they are all students as well. I have a small cheap Bulldog safe that I bought to store the Shield in at night next to my bed, and it came with a 1/4 or 1/2 inch steel locking cable that I can use to connect it to the driver seat.

Would it be reasonable to store my Shield in my car? It is also worth noting I live downtown, so I would at least like to be able to carry when I am off campus.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

2. Remove Ads

...when I've had to leave my weapon in the car...I always leave it in the trunk...much less likely to be broken open than the passenger area...for reasons of time and strength...a lockbox in the trunk would make it more obvious that you were secreting something...rather than just a paper bag or pair of rubber boots...with gun inside...sounds like access to the garage is somewhat restricted...that could work either for or against you...is there a camera and someone monitoring the cameras?

No cameras, and it is patrolled on occasion by campus security and parking enforcement.

I like the idea about keeping it in the trunk, and perhaps trying to disguise it as something invaluable.
    NRA

I would buy a lockbox/pistol safe, and mount it in the trunk, so that anyone trying to get it has to work really hard to steal it. I'm thinking that's better than 30 minutes away at the girlfriends. Then use care when you're getting it out, or putting it away, so none of your "neighbors" see what you're doing.

Good luck.
    TheConcealer and Ransom like this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    I would buy a lockbox/pistol safe, and mount it in the trunk, so that anyone trying to get it has to work really hard to steal it. I'm thinking that's better than 30 minutes away at the girlfriends. Then use care when you're getting it out, or putting it away, so none of your "neighbors" see what you're doing.

Good luck.
    Sounds like the way to go, can you recommend any good lock-boxes? Something a bit sturdier than the Bulldog?
    NRA

I don't know the brand of my pistol safe, but I purchased it at Academy Sports, for around 100 bucks. It's got a outline of a handprint on top, with buttons on for each finger, and you set the code to whatever you want. Good steel, and can be bolted down solid, and accessed very quickly, should you need it. Bet if you google pistol safes you'll be overwhelmed with choices.

Anything can be defeated, with enough motivation, time and tools, but this will keep you "legal" and secure your pistol I think. Good luck.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

KBSR is sounds like he's talking about a Gunvault MV500. Depending on your vehicle specifically, you may be able to mount it under your rear windshield (where rear speakers in sedans are usually mounted) so a quick glance in the trunk won't show anything. You can even put it behind the light so if they look up there, it will be in their eyes and hopefully deter them.

All depends on how much convenience you want to sacrifice for yourself.

GunVault makes good handgun safes and has a variety of sizes. Mounting in your trunk is a good idea as well. Most vehicle break ins are looking for a quick grab. They most likely won't spend the time it would take to remove a mounted box.

Check out Carry Vault. I've been looking at them myself.

CarryVault
    Snub44 likes this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I would rather you store your handgun in your car than having it 30 minutes away and unavailable when you could need it the most. There are several very good options to keep your firearm safely in your car:

- Gunvault Safe
    - Console Vault
    - Mini Tufbox

If you want to go hardcore, then check out these solutions:

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I bought a simple Nano Vault with Combination Lock, which is cabled in my trunk. I have one in my car and I will be placing o e in my wife's car. For those times when I can't carry and have to put my gun in the car for short periods of time.

Good luck, oh, and be sure not to Piss Off your girlfriend!!!
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

These vaults that can be bolted in-car are really catching my eye, but i'm not sure how to go about actually installing one of these. Anyone have any experience with this?
    NRA

Quote Originally Posted by TheConcealer View Post
    These vaults that can be bolted in-car are really catching my eye, but i'm not sure how to go about actually installing one of these. Anyone have any experience with this?
    Which vaults?
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

The mini TufBox, and I also saw one made by Bulldog that is meant to be bolted down in a vehicle. Just not sure about drilling into my trunk when I don't know whats on the other side.
    NRA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links