Kids first, then the groceries

This is a discussion on Kids first, then the groceries within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I did a quick run to the grocery store this morning. My son was in preschool, so I had my baby girl with me. I ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 10 Post By Betty
  • 1 Post By pgrass101
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Kids first, then the groceries

VIP Member

I did a quick run to the grocery store this morning. My son was in preschool, so I had my baby girl with me. I always put her in the van first, then pack the groceries in. I noted another mom with a baby a few spots away from me. She was concerned enough for her baby's health in that she had one of those big padded contraptions that fit in the shopping cart seat so the baby doesn't have to touch the icky cart. But there she was, putting bag after bag of groceries into the trunk while leaving the baby in the cart to be the last thing packed into the vehicle. And baby was at the opposite end of the cart, furthest away from mommy.

I've seen babies get rained on while mommy or daddy is more concerned with melting ice cream. It's a personal gripe of mine to see the little ones left to be last, because I think the kids should go in the vehicle first, and then the groceries.

If it's a crowded lot and I don't have a good view around me, I open one van door, send my son in first, then step inside, sit it the middle and buckle baby, then my son. I'll even close the door behind us. If it's a lot of open space with a good field of view, I'll send my son in first, then buckle baby while standing outside, then go around to the other side to buckle my son in. With a push of a button, I can divide my kids from the bad guy and defend them without worrying about where they are and what they are doing.

It's a safety issue and a tactical decision. What if the carts rolls off when you've got your back turned? What if there's a nut peeling through the lot? Would you rather their car nail your gallon of milk or your baby? What if somebody is targeting you and you find yourself fighting off somebody while your baby is in the cart? And your small kids are running about? What if you're so busy making sure you're putting the eggs down in the trunk where they won't get smashed that by the time you turn around, baby is gone, snatched from the cart?

We must make sure our helpless family members are as safe as they can be in as many situations as possible so there's less to worry about should we find ourselves in a defensive scenario. And getting the kids in the vehicle first eliminates a lot of nasty scenarios.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

2. Remove Ads

The only thing I have to add is that I always make sure I have the car keys before I close the door after I have the kid safe in there. It would just lead to another bad situation if the car is locked with the kid and keys inside.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I agree! Good post.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Senior Moderator
    Kids first, everything else and then adults. That's how we do it for the same reasons you mentioned
    mano3 likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Betty, I agree with what you're saying. I find myself putting my baby in the car and making sure she is safe prior to tending to anything else.

my daughter always goes into the car before I load it up. all it takes is one driver paying more attention to their cell.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Nascar can only wish its racecar seats were as protective as those kidde seats. What happened to the days when you hung that kiddie seat with the steering wheel over the non-locking folding front seat. No guts, no glory.
    nontechguy likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Nascar can only wish its racecar seats were as protective as those kidde seats. What happened to the days when you hung that kiddie seat with the steering wheel over the non-locking folding front seat. No guts, no glory.
    I had one of those as a kid. I'd like to find one now just to hang on the seat and freak out the soccer moms. Maybe even put a doll in it.

You haven't lived until you laid in the back window of dads car.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Links