Quick Access Pistol Safe - Recall

This is a discussion on Quick Access Pistol Safe - Recall within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just went to Home Depot to pick up one of these electronic Sentry Safes and all 16 in stock were pulled off the floor ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Quick Access Pistol Safe - Recall

I just went to Home Depot to pick up one of these electronic Sentry Safes and all 16 in stock were pulled off the floor due to a recall. Does anyone know what the deal is with these safes? It seemed ideal for my needs. | Sentry® Safe | QAP1E Quick Access Pistol Safe

Seamuis

If you are trying to keep a gun out of 'little hands', I guess it would work.
    As a safe for guns when you're gone, I'd refer to it as a 'key-locked metal carrying case'.

If you have quality concerns, I look in here: http://www.center-of-mass.com/
    Center of Mass Safes with just a key lock are fairly popular with members in this forum.
    zacii likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Re: Quick Access Pistol Safe - Recall

Home Depot is anti 2A. I would'nt spend a dime there. Get you a Gun Vault, not the bio metric one. They have a backup key.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

This is worth a look. You can buy extra bases for other places.
    CarryVault
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

I don't care for "Home Deposit" myself, just trying to support Sentry Safe which is a local company.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I was also looking at the Fort Knox pistol safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamuis View Post
    Thanks for the other suggestions. I was also looking at the Fort Knox pistol safe.
    Mechanical push-button lock is the way to go in my opinion. Fort Knox and others make some very good products. The companies that use this type of lock also make their boxes from thicker steel than most electronic ones. Also, no need for a backup key as they provide just another easy access point to break in.

Quote Originally Posted by nontechguy View Post
    This is worth a look. You can buy extra bases for other places.
    CarryVault
    That looks like a well made handgun safe. Not really designed for quick access because of the lock style. How do you open it by feel only or in the dark? Looks like a good option for transporting and being able to lock it down on the mounting plate in the trunk.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Electronics fail far too often for me to trust them for a lock.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Ordered the Fort Knox

All, thank you again for your responses. I am on the waiting list for the Fort Know unit. It's the heaviest of the lot and no batteries or keys are required. They have a solid reputation and based upon my research should not be confused with other brands. I called Fort Knox and they referred me to several dealers and locksmiths. I called a few and some tried to sell me similar designed box, I asked them what each box weighed and I was getting numbers like 8 lbs. Not that weight is the one and only factor, but when a box is 12 lbs lighter that does tell you something. Thanks again! Seamuis

I like the biometric safe have had it on my nightstand for almost two years works fast an dependable it holds two guns my glock 19 with light attached an my bodyguard 380, have a grandson so have to be carefull.

All, thank you again for your responses. I am on the waiting list for the Fort Know unit. It's the heaviest of the lot and no batteries or keys are required. They have a solid reputation and based upon my research should not be confused with other brands. I called Fort Knox and they referred me to several dealers and locksmiths. I called a few and some tried to sell me similar designed box, I asked them what each box weighed and I was getting numbers like 8 lbs. Not that weight is the one and only factor, but when a box is 12 lbs lighter that does tell you something. Thanks again! Seamuis
    Fort knox is a good choice. While heavy steel is used, it is not the heaviest. Good reputation and very good warranty. Be sure and bolt it down solid.

They use 7ga door with a 10ga body. Not sure about hinge construction. All in all a very good choice. The FAS1 SAFE is 7ga on all sides and door with a solid 3/8" welded in place hinge pin with 5/8" x .120 wall tubing slid over and welded to the door. Weights over 23lbs.

Have you gotten your Ft Knox yet? if so...
    1. How do you like it?
    2. How hard was mounting it to the floor?
    3. How many full-sized pistols will it hold?

Thanks,

V-Line is another heavy duty mechanical lock (no battery failure) pistol safe. V-Line | Security Cases and Cabinets
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Backordered!

Quote Originally Posted by Dabster View Post
    Have you gotten your Ft Knox yet? if so...
    1. How do you like it?
    2. How hard was mounting it to the floor?
    3. How many full-sized pistols will it hold?

Thanks,
    It's backordered! I ordered it from Dean's Safes and just spoke with them on Friday. Based upon their records and my place in line I should make the next shipment when they receive their next supply from Fort Knox. Prior to ordering from Deans I did call Fort Knox after searching for the safe with several dealers and locksmiths. They did confirm there was a supply issue. I asked the woman I spoke with who their biggest dealers were which led me to Deans. They have been good about providing status when I call and I hope to have it within a couple of weeks.

This is a decent unboxing video: Fort Knox Pistol Box Unboxing FTK-PB - YouTube

7 gauge steel on the lid and 10 for the rest it has some of the better reviews and is heavier built then most of the competition. The build, simplex lock and capacity along with a lot of web time researching this pistol safe is what led me to choosing Fort Knox.

Not unlike the jump in demand for ammunition by more than 40% the entire industry is seeing the same jump in demand. I figure things will start to normalize in about 8-10 months As long as the shelves remain empty people are going to buy as soon as they see stock leaving the shelves empty. I am out of .45, 9mm and 22lr range ammo and very low on .40. This article makes sense as much as we want to blame the Gov't:

Ammo Shortages: More Than Simple Supply and Demand?

As soon as I receive the Fort Knox I will post my opinion and answers to your questions. In the interim I am hoping to find some .22lr at a minimum as the tree rats are getting out of control and caused a barn fire near me recently. BTW. I bought a ShotLock recently and really like that for my tactical 870!

-Seamuis

It's backordered! I ordered it from Dean's Safes and just spoke with them on Friday. Based upon their records and my place in line I should make the next shipment when they receive their next supply from Fort Knox. Prior to ordering from Deans I did call Fort Knox after searching for the safe with several dealers and locksmiths. They did confirm there was a supply issue. I asked the woman I spoke with who their biggest dealers were which led me to Deans. They have been good about providing status when I call and I hope to have it within a couple of weeks.

This is a decent unboxing video: Fort Knox Pistol Box Unboxing FTK-PB - YouTube

7 gauge steel on the lid and 10 for the rest it has some of the better reviews and is heavier built then most of the competition. The build, simplex lock and capacity along with a lot of web time researching this pistol safe is what led me to choosing Fort Knox.

Not unlike the jump in demand for ammunition by more than 40% the entire industry is seeing the same jump in demand. I figure things will start to normalize in about 8-10 months As long as the shelves remain empty people are going to buy as soon as they see stock leaving the shelves empty. I am out of .45, 9mm and 22lr range ammo and very low on .40. This article makes sense as much as we want to blame the Gov't:

Ammo Shortages: More Than Simple Supply and Demand?

As soon as I receive the Fort Knox I will post my opinion and answers to your questions. In the interim I am hoping to find some .22lr at a minimum as the tree rats are getting out of control and caused a barn fire near me recently. BTW. I bought a ShotLock recently and really like that for my tactical 870!

-Seamuis
    Thanks! Nice video. I think it dispells most of my capacity concerns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links