In an active shooter situation? Fight back with sissors!

This is a discussion on In an active shooter situation? Fight back with sissors! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I would have used a stapler, but they have been banned due to the 100 staple hi-cap magazine....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: In an active shooter situation? Fight back with sissors!

VIP Member
    I would have used a stapler, but they have been banned due to the 100 staple hi-cap magazine.
    mano3 and 64zebra like this.

2. Remove Ads

This forum makes me laugh. I can't tell you how many threads I've read on here of somebody proposing a situation with an active shooter. Most of the responses on these threads are "Call the police and be a good witness, and try to run if I can. If there's no way for me to run, then maybe I'll take action. My gun is only for me and my family, nobody else." But then DHS puts out a video suggesting the very same thing (hide first, and if you HAVE to and have NO other option, fight back) and people criticize them for suggesting that people run instead of defending themselves, or defending themselves with a pair of scissors.

The focus is hardly "arm yourselves with scissors!" Whether this active shooter scenario happens in a workplace that does or doesn't allow people to carry, there will always be people that DON'T carry. And for those people that don't carry, when fighting is the only option, anything can become a weapon of opportunity; especially sharp objects like scissors. This is hardly a "fight with scissors, not guns!" It is simply when you must fight, fight with anything you can find.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    This forum makes me laugh. I can't tell you how many threads I've read on here of somebody proposing a situation with an active shooter. Most of the responses on these threads are "Call the police and be a good witness, and try to run if I can. If there's no way for me to run, then maybe I'll take action. My gun is only for me and my family, nobody else." But then DHS puts out a video suggesting the very same thing (hide first, and if you HAVE to and have NO other option, fight back) and people criticize them for suggesting that people run instead of defending themselves.

The focus is hardly "arm yourselves with scissors!" Whether this active shooter scenario happens in a workplace that does or doesn't allow people to carry, there will always be people that DON'T carry. And for those people that don't carry, when fighting is the only option, anything can become a weapon of opportunity; especially sharp objects like scissors. This is hardly a "fight with scissors, not guns!" It is simply when you must fight, fight with anything you can find.
    I dont remember seeing the threads you talk about. But even if they exist, that doesn't change anything from the dhs movie. Still about individual using the best weapon available to them when SHTF
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    I dont remember seeing the threads you talk about. But even if they exist, that doesn't change anything from the dhs movie. Still about individual using the best weapon available to them when SHTF
    Maybe you missed the second half of my post. I wasn't arguing anything about the DHS video. My entire argument revolved around the posts of others on this forum. I very specifically acknowledged that I believe this is a good video; that since there are always people that don't carry it is in fact important to be able to use anything as a weapon of opportunity.

EDIT: Just search for "Mall Shooting" under Carry & Defensive Scenarios for examples of the threads I'm talking about.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Homeland tells you you are on your own. TSA in an airport confrontation are told to run away.

IMHO most mass shooting could by limited if everyone threw everything they had from all directions. It is hard to shoot if books, purses, backpacks & what have you are incoming from multiple directions. It would give those close a chance to over power a shooter.

You will still need a background check, those scissors are considered your best option,
    the next is to stay at home.

My point is that if we could carry on-base, at least I could bring a gun to a gun fight.

I understand the video and that if you have to fight without a gun, then fight with what you have.

I just find it odd that I'm trusted to view Top Secret documents and I've passed my county's background check to CC, but I still can't carry back-and-forth to work or on base...
    Jeanlouise and 64zebra like this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    My point is that if we could carry on-base, at least I could bring a gun to a gun fight.

I understand the video and that if you have to fight without a gun, then fight with what you have.

I just find it odd that I'm trusted to view Top Secret documents and I've passed my county's background check to CC, but I still can't carry back-and-forth to work or on base...
    It's the ultimate absurdity that military people cannot carry a gun on base. What, they can't be trusted?

It's equally absurd that airline pilots (in most cases) can't carry a gun to protect themselves and the cockpit. If they really want to kill people, all they have to do is point the nose at the ground.

Many, many civilians think that military people on a base or post are armed. They're shocked when you tell them they aren't.
    I'm on another board and this came up after the school shooting. One of them who's a big Anti intimated that I was lying to support my stance on self defense.
    mano3 and GunGeezer like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Senior Moderator
    I'm going to teach you the proper response to an active shooter.

Step 1. You stare at him/her with an evil eye.

Step 2. You lean to your right and spit some tobacco juice.

Step 3. In your meanest, low voice you say, "Well, you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie!"

Step 4. You pull your pistols and plug him/her.

If you doubt this advice, watch Jose Wales.
    GeorgiaDawg and mano3 like this.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Be sure to use only blunt scissors. Sharp ones may be considered assault scissors.

Now if these are the scissors that we are talking about, then there might be something to the suggestion.
    GeorgiaDawg likes this.

This just in.....Diane Feinstein proposed legislation to remove all sharp object from everywhere...
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbguy29577 View Post
    This just in.....Diane Feinstein proposed legislation to remove all sharp object from everywhere...
    What about her pointed head?
    mano3 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Cool! Where do you all get those ones with the pointy ends? All they ever give me is the round ones.
    Thats because you didn't complete the necessary background checks, pass a mandatory 80 hour training class, submit fingerprints, blood samples, pictures of your dog, prove the need to your local Sheriff and Judge as to exactly why you need the scissors with the pointed end, and pay for a yearly license.
    You need to start open carrying some large shears or tin snips to get people's attention to the issue.

I couldn't help it

On a serious note....the video has some merit, and the point about the scissors is improvise some weapons and fight back if you have to
    Personally I'd rather see someone at the entrance to the building smoke the guy with their concealed handgun at the first sign of his intentions (and I'd rather see the security guard paying attention to people entering since that is what he is paid for). But if nobody is carrying because they don't want to or are not able to, then fill your hand....with whatever is available and go medieval on their butt!!!!!!! What's in your wallet?
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    That's as helpful as being told to hide under your desk at school in case of a nuclear attack.
    I confess, I looked several times, out from under my desk, for the bright blast from the nuclear bomb that could blind me! My bad!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links