Dogs, watch dog or home protection?

This is a discussion on Dogs, watch dog or home protection? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Gene83 Before I retired, one of my clients was a facility that provided dogs to various government agencies. The dogs were trained ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Dogs, watch dog or home protection?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    Before I retired, one of my clients was a facility that provided dogs to various government agencies. The dogs were trained overseas in the Netherlands, Belgium, or Germany and only responded to commands in their "native" language. If you're a bad guy, that'll screw with your head. The dog's hot on your tail and you're trying to figure out what language he speaks to call him off.

Nein, nein nein!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Nein, nein nein!
    Yeah, something like that..
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    I have a small dog that alerts me to every movement and bump in the night. Then I get my real big mean gun. lol
    I have a min-pin that hears every little sound and will let us know if anything is out of the ordinary. Guard dog? No way.

i have a 95 lb german sheperd

and he WILL nail anyone that comes in that he doesnt know.

One of my nieces asked to name him when he was a puppy. We told her he was a Great Pyrenees, so she called him GP, which morphed into Jeep. Loves his family, doesn't like it when anyone, or anything, enters unannounced. Except, of course, for the mouse that got into the house yesterday.

RETSUPT99, Jeanlouise and oneshot like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    I have two dogs. A Yorkshire Terrier and a Maltese. The yorky will bark at any noise with which he is unfamiliar. If anyone he doesn't know enters the house, he runs and hides under the futon and continues to bark until I tell him to shut up. At which point, he stays under the futon until that person leaves. My Maltese thinks that anyone who enters the house must surely have come there exclusively to see her and acts accordingly with wagging tail, licks and the obligatory little pee on the floor by their feet because she is sooooooo excited to see them.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

HIGH POCKETS...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Great looking dog...I love big dogs!
    Nothing beats the companionship of a BIG lovable and protective canine.

To the OP...

I have two dogs, a three year old Irish Wolfhound (Maggie) who is a lover, not sure about the watchdog part yet...no incidents.
    The other is a 6 month old Rhodesian Ridgeback (Gunner) who WILL be a fine watchdog. He's afraid of nothing... He came from a breeder who has about 7-8 full grown RR at her place. She had two litters totaling 20 pups. When I got Gunner, she told me that the pups all stayed by the house, but one of the pups, yes Gunner, was going out on the property in the midst of the other full-grown adults to let them know that there was a new Sheriff in town. Yep, he's definitely got the personality to protect the home. He's very lovable with us and our little buddy (5 year old) from across the street, but he's very inquisitive, very bold, fears nothing. I even tried a tactic with the vacuum to see what he'd do. He was watching it and backed up a bit from it...when I went towards him, he backed up, waited a few seconds and attacked it...yep, he's going to watch the house.

Here's the new sheriff at 8 weeks and 14lbs...he's now 6.5 months and 80+lbs
    photo.JPG Doesn't he have that "new sheriff" look?
    Spirit51 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree with the OP 100%

I think it truly depends on a number of factors, most obvious being Breed, whether or not the owner/handler is there, and training/life experiences.

I am fully aware that my APBT will probably help a thief carry out the fridge if needed IF one of the family members is not home. I have seen and been notified of this in fact and action on multiple occassions. IF we are home, either myself at my home, or if the dog is staying with my immediate family while I'm away it's a different story. The dog is a whole different beast when the owner or immediate family members are involved.

She has according to my neighbors allowed meter readers, postal workers etc, approach her pen in the past when I used to pen her up outside on warm days while I was at work. Not only approach, but approach and pet her through the fence without so much as a growl. On the flip side, I have been around at my parents place for a weekend here or there and someone unknown to the dog attempted entry into the home unannounced. BIG MISTAKE. Same goes for people approaching the family outside. She immediately inserts herself and goes on the attack. And she has attacked aggressive trespassers(drunk/drugged up) on my property a few years ago. Young children are the only ones that can approach myself or the family and get away with it so far. She seems to think all kids exist to PLAY. Go figure.

The difference in my mind is clearly whenever people the dog perceives as part of her pack are in potential harm. Any other time, she'll lay back and accept the T-bone tossed to her.

edit: thinking about this more I would add one thing... Add a little yipper dog to a big dog and you have a nice system. My parents have a little yipper with radar dishes for ears. Whenever I'm over there that yipper hears things well before getting anywhere near the home and sets my bigger dog on alert.
    Last edited by packinnova; February 8th, 2013 at 09:24 AM.
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

My dogs don't give a rats behind about the property itself. If we aren't home they'll bark and such, but their main job is alarm system. I don't expect them to protect the tvs.
    When they're with me, then it becomes personal.

Nobody's tried to come in the house, but there have been a few incidents that could have gone south - the dogs have passed all tests with flying colors. I'll keep 'em, and my faith in them. If ya wanna know for sure, come in unannounced some night ;)
    Spirit51 and tcox4freedom like this.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    Most LEOs I know say that bad guys will not enter a house that has any dogs in it regardless of size. Most dogs bark and bring attention to the house. They would rather go to a house that there is not dog. So any dog that barks will be a deterence in thier own right. There are some breeds that are natural protectors of their homes without training, but you will never know how they will react if a situation arises. I have the 90 lbs black German Shepard that is very protective and I have had him trained to be obedient as well as protect the family, but he has not been trained to be an attack dog. There are different levels of training. Just his size, bark, and mannerisms to anyone that enters or is close to our yard is very intimidating. He has literally scared people away from our door on many occasions, but he is a gentle family dog to us (his family pack) and our friends. My advice is to get a dog as a new member of the family. If you want to step it up, get a dog that has a natural instinct to protect and then leave it at that. IMO, true trained attack dogs should not be family pets.
    Great post. This is just like Massad Ayoob talks about in his book "The Truth About Self Protection". He states that a dog only needs obedience training. That with their natural instinct to protect the owners is enough.

I need to get hubby to order a new one. It got lost on the last move. Great Book.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

This is my loudest barker, Cleopatra...Queen of De nile. (Hubby calls her Cleotus Jones.) 45012d6b-4a61-4483-afde-b79962f0ea69.jpg

This is my Pom, Buddy Holly...dressed in his K9 outfit.013.jpg

Another pose.010.jpg

Buddy out of uniform. (Undercover??)Buddy Holly.jpg

Both of them are very observant. They don't like anything out of the usual and bark and carry on until goes away. They are alarm and siren dogs. The don't need to "attack". Hubby and I are the ones with "teeth", if ya get my drift. Their job is to let us know when something "isn't right" and they work overtime on that sometimes.

This is our sweet Sheba that passed away a few weeks ago. She had a great loud hound voice with is missed.$(KGrHqRHJCYE-eBNU-0IBP2jDqJCzQ~~60_1.JPG
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    The dog's job is to alert me. I would not tolerate an overly aggressive dog, as the owner is supposed to be the Alpha. These two are both Labrador-Rottweiler mixes. The 6-month old barks more than the older guy.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

It depends on the nature of the dog whether or not they'll put up with someone breaking into their house. The number one thing to remember is dogs can be unpredictable. I'm fairly good at reading dogs (by no means an expert) but I've spent a long time around my dogs, reading about dogs, observing dogs, and around large numbers of other dogs and I know better than to fully trust a dog. Should a BG really count on their ability to read a dog? No, but we know how smart BGs can be.

I don't expect my (8 herding breed) dogs to actually protect me but they're excellent watch dogs who love to whip themselves into a hysterical barking frenzy and that's all I ask of them.

I think much would have to do with training. That being said, I would only use a dog for an alert. I love my animals too much to put them in harms way.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links