Dogs, watch dog or home protection? - Page 4

Dogs, watch dog or home protection?

This is a discussion on Dogs, watch dog or home protection? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Chow mix, banned right up there with Pitties in some places. My homeowner's insurance never inquired about dogs (they were in the ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Dogs, watch dog or home protection?

I have a Chow mix, banned right up there with Pitties in some places.
    My homeowner's insurance never inquired about dogs (they were in the front yard a lot, not hidden at all) much less inquired about their breed. Don't ask and I won't tell ;)

I have about 140#s of dog and they eat $10-15/2 weeks, or a max of $4 a week per dog - can't eat lunch at McD's once a week for that price. Doesn't seem too bad really. They are also polite enough to do their dirty business in the back corner of the yard near the fence, instead of where we walk.

When I delivered pizza the only nasty dogs were ankle biters. I don't know any ankle biters that are fully housetrained either. Dunno why landlords like small dogs.
    Landlords who don't accept large dogs also do not want my money. Their loss.
    Last edited by Tala; February 11th, 2013 at 07:39 PM.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

My dog, an awesome little 'schnoodle' (rescued from near euthanasia) is a great little early warning device...I'm not relying on him to be a killer, etc...

Plus...

Having played the "junkyard dare" game countless times in my youth, and later having thorough training as an adult, learned that having a big 'fad dog' isn't a sure fire ticket..

Plus, many robbers/home invaders have been rolled up by the cops to find that they have a pack of hot dogs or bologna in their pockets.

be careful out there.

My rotts are part of our family, I don't consider them guard dogs. Do I think they'd try and protect us? Yes, I do. But who knows. Someone comes in with food and they'd probably love all over them no matter who they were. They are loud as can be though and scary looking so if they buy me enough time to grab my gun from the safe when things go bump in the night, then I'm happy. I wouldn't deliberately put them on the front line, and they are indoors all the time - not property guards.

My Jennie would bark at em when they came in and then beat em with her tail after they got in. Yellow Lab.

Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    unless they are highly trained, professional BG's know how to handle them and even what we think of as very tough dogs yield to humans.
    If a BG is willing and can handle a big dog who is protecting it's territory while you are away, just be ready to claim insurance. There probably is no better deterrent that I can think of than a guard/watch dog. Especially an intimidating breed. Then again, I know people who have been robbed while their rottweiler just sat and watched or wanted to play. Sure, I guess you could train them, if you want a dog like that, but a lot will depend on the dogs demeanor.

At this point in my life, I didn't want the liability of a dog that may bite in any situation. Other than intimidating appearance, my new puppy would be worthless as a guard dog.

My 3 year old Rotty did her job one time (we left at PM for a show came home about 9:45
    to find the front kicked in the dog sitting next to the door smiling blood all over the place and clothing
    all around I think BG may be nude by now, no one around I can see called local law made report nothing
    came of it) now we know she will do her job and knows when to stop??
    srings and icemanls2 like this.

VIP Member
    My 120+ lbs boxador (.5 boxer /.5 labrador or as we call...mutt) is the classic all bark and no bite scenario. Bottom line is he's a total wuss, but he'll bark his head of when someone comes to the house he doesn't know or recognize. However, if you look at him cross-eyed, he'll figure out if you'll play ball or frisbee with him or not. So as was said earlier...he's my early warning detection system.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Some dogs (few) will attack someone on site. They make great dogs for junkyards but not so much in a family environment. Other dogs will tolerate a stranger coming into their area but would be at their throat IF they attacked their handler, family member or were ordered to attack by their handler. That's why those dogs are called "personal" protection dogs and not "property" protection dogs. Of course, dogs with the temperament to attack, with confidence and determination, a full-sized man are NOT common nor are they cheap. The only real way to know if the dog you're getting will "bite for real" is to get a young dog (1-2 years of age) and see it in action. Puppies are great but you won't be able to know if that pup will be able to do what you want it to do.

By the way, the dog in my avatar was my previous personal protection dog. I had to put him down last September at nearly the age of 12. He was a very friendly, confident, happy-go-lucky dog that was great with kids, strangers and other dogs. But, if someone put their hand on me he was balls-to-the-wall. He had the right temperament, plenty of courage and heart and lots of "drive" to do anything I asked him to do. Dogs like him, from working lines, are easy to train and make you as a handler/trainer look a lot better than you might really be.
    srings likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    My dog barks and growls, I shoot.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

I have a siberian husky. That pretty much says it all. People who know them know that they are more likely to run out the door when the BG opens it without thinking twice.

The wild card is I get "that dog look like a wolf!!!" all the time, so at least he looks scary to some people.

VIP Member
    Mine are chewers.........You don't want to be stuck between those chompers believe me...... My dogs are all about the family and are great with kids, but are weary of strangers unless told it's okay. If we are not home and you broke in, you would get bit.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    When I was a teenager just out of high school I worked for my uncle delivering bottled gas. Most of the customers lived in rural areas and I encountered many dogs on my routes with few if any problems. Until that day I delivered to a little old lady that is. Her little lap dog met me at the gate and was barking and jumping up and down like an idiot. The little granny figure heard the racket and came out and walked to the gate saying in a very sweet and cheerful voice "don't worry honey, he won't bite." Well, I didn't even make it all the way through the gate before that little dog latched onto my ankle with vice grip-like little jaws and teeth that felt like ten penny nails. I couldn't shake him off. Don't know how she finally got him unattached from me but he tore me a new one. I had to make a detour to the ER for stitches and let my cousin finish that delivery. Don't ever sell the little dogs short just because they're small.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

I have an alarm system and two early detection beacons. 1 is my Rott and the 2nd is my 135lb st bernard. If you make it past the st bernard, my Rott is like my 3rd child and it takes protecting my children very seriously. Rotts are very loyal dogs! And my wife likes it when people walk off the street into the grass to go around her when she is walking them in the neighborhood.

I am a retired Ironworker an 20 years ago I did a fence job for Hoyt Doberman Inc. outside of Chicago. This place was amazing, Mr Hoyt took me to a big barn inside it was dark we walked in an he closed the door in back of us an flipped on the lights there was a row of cages on both sides of the barn with about 50 dobermans trying to get me the noise viberated my heart in my chest. He puts these dogs in Dept. Stores at night. I can tell you I would not want any of those cages to open wow big an scary. He told me that most guys can deal with one dog they will get bit but should be able to win but two no chance. He gave me a dog as part of payment his name was storm, he came to my home an perimeter trained him not to attack but to warm me if anyone was around. At night I could open the front door he would run out all around the porperty and come back. If he found anything he would stay there an bark till I came with my shotgun freakin great dog. After 14 years it was tuff to lose him never felt that safe again. Dogs work ,Now have a little havenese named wally he will lick you to death. If he feels like it he will bark when he hears something but will get behind us if its to loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    He told me that most guys can deal with one dog they will get bit but should be able to win but two no chance.
    It really depends on how fit the guy is. Have you ever played tug-of-war with an 80 lb. dog? Did you get tired first or did the dog? Even when was it great condition I was the one who easily tire first. So let's say it's not a towel being used in "tug-of0war" but your arm! Anyone who gets a hardcore dog on them has a big problem if they're not armed.

On another note, there is a saying. One dog is defense, two is an army!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links