Dogs, watch dog or home protection?

This is a discussion on Dogs, watch dog or home protection? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Due to events up in my hood... I have talked to my share of police lately and I've started to find a common thread that ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Dogs, watch dog or home protection?

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar

Dogs, watch dog or home protection?

Due to events up in my hood... I have talked to my share of police lately and I've started to find a common thread that I think is a little different than most of us think.

When I ask about dogs what I'm hearing is they are great watch dogs and "MIGHT" even protect you when you are home but unless they are highly trained, professional BG's know how to handle them and even what we think of as very tough dogs yield to humans. When you think about, why wouldn't they. Their whole lives are built around doing what we want them to do.

I know many you will say "well not my dog he will.... " I'm just saying police are telling me they go to MANY homes that have been robbed that have very big and mean dogs.

Just food for thouht.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    I have all the above.Dogs that are eh.......(facelickers) and dogs that are highly trained and home defense.Covering all bases so to speak. I have multiple dogs which the neighbors have always wanted to pet but I refrain from letting them do so.Its never the neighbors that rob you,its the friends of the neighbors,therefore,if noone knows which of my dogs are the highly trained ones,it will be a guess on which one could be corrupted and which ones .........cant.

VIP Member
    Personally, dogs don't intimidate me. If I was evil, I'd go right through them.

As for my dog(s), I am way too much attached to them to put them in harms way trying to defend me. I defend my home, which includes my dog.
    MrsHB, Spirit51 and Eichorn like this.

I'm fairly sure that my 12 1/2 year old mutt Pierce isn't going to be taking down any home invaders. He may alert me to a break-in but there is also a good chance that he'll sleep right through it.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

All dogs are different I suppose, and it's more about how they're raised, and how they're trained.

I have a large black lab (130 pounds, and he's not fat according to his vet) who scares people outside my home, due to his big dog bark. If he doesn't know you, he'll scare you with his bark, his growl, and the raised hair along his back. Once he accepts you, he's the sweetest dog you've ever met.

My dog is a member of my family, and hasn't been trained to be a guard dog. He'll bark when he hears something, and often when he just thinks he does. I don't want him biting anyone, and I damn sure don't want him hurt by someone foolish enough to enter my home when I'm not here. I'd rather he be friendly, so he doesn't get harmed. Stuff can be replaced, my best friend can't. I do think he'd give his life to protect us, if we are here, and he sensed trouble, but in that case, I'd be protecting him.

People that don't include dogs in their lives don't know what they're missing. Expect them to be an additional warning layer, but no more unless it's a working dog (IMHO).
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Most LEOs I know say that bad guys will not enter a house that has any dogs in it regardless of size. Most dogs bark and bring attention to the house. They would rather go to a house that there is not dog. So any dog that barks will be a deterence in thier own right. There are some breeds that are natural protectors of their homes without training, but you will never know how they will react if a situation arises. I have the 90 lbs black German Shepard that is very protective and I have had him trained to be obedient as well as protect the family, but he has not been trained to be an attack dog. There are different levels of training. Just his size, bark, and mannerisms to anyone that enters or is close to our yard is very intimidating. He has literally scared people away from our door on many occasions, but he is a gentle family dog to us (his family pack) and our friends. My advice is to get a dog as a new member of the family. If you want to step it up, get a dog that has a natural instinct to protect and then leave it at that. IMO, true trained attack dogs should not be family pets.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    When my house was broken into, my "pet" hid in the closet for a half-hour after I arrived home. I said something to the investigator about getting a bigger dog, and his reply was, "Don't bother. It won't stop the thief who really wants in, they know how to deal with dogs." I had an alarm installed the next week.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    When my house was broken into, my "pet" hid in the closet for a half-hour after I arrived home. I said something to the investigator about getting a bigger dog, and his reply was, "Don't bother. It won't stop the thief who really wants in, they know how to deal with dogs." I had an alarm installed the next week.
    That is pretty much what I've been told. This started after 2 homes on mt street - with dogs, one that is VERY big, were broken into. I know my dog is worthless, so I'm not kidding myself on how bad I'm screwed because I'm the only on that sleeps hard than he does.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I'm sure some BGs may be able to handle dogs that stay on the outside. They may even be able to handle one inside dog. That's why I have three large dogs. One is a trained PP APBT and the others are good watch dogs that have been trained to lesser levels.

The question is NOT about a BG being able to handle your dog. The question is [I]"Why would they want to?" (Especially, since the house around the corner is such an easy target.)

Barking dogs are just excellent deterrents. If your lucky they'll make the BG go somewhere else. If not, you'll at least have a partner that may buy you a little bit more time to respond.

-

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    No delusion here that my retriever will go all "baskerville" on an intruder, but when I'm home he will certainly raise a racket at least. When I am not home - or when friends or family aren't home - he won't bark until he can actually see the unfamiliar person enter, but when someone is already home he will bark at any abnormal sound.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

My little rat terriers (2 of them) are NOT good guard dogs, they are excellent alarm dogs I like to say. Any sound in my yard/vicinity that's out of the ordinary get's an immediate response. If I'm around, it's enough to get my attention, if I'm not around.... eh I dunno maybe they'll go somewhere else.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Before I retired, one of my clients was a facility that provided dogs to various government agencies. The dogs were trained overseas in the Netherlands, Belgium, or Germany and only responded to commands in their "native" language. If you're a bad guy, that'll screw with your head. The dog's hot on your tail and you're trying to figure out what language he speaks to call him off.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

...I have two...if you raised a hand to me, they'd nail you...but if I weren't home and "they" brought treats, they'd jump up on the couch and eat it...then beg for more...the most value they are to me is I know when they bark "the Bark"...and I always get up and see what/who it is and praise them...them alerting me is the value I see...they learn the neighbors and seldom bark unless it's a stranger...

VIP Member
    Livestock guardian dogs. (LGD)

Livestock Guardian Dog. All About The Livestock Breed Of Dog

Great Pyrenees Club Serving Southern, Eastern and Western Ontario

The other evening, sort of late afternoon, me, the wife, and kiddos were relaxing and watching some movies. Surprising enough, the front door had just opened and all confused, we were not expecting company. Our family dog, who was also watching movies lol, INTENTLY ran to the section of hallway between the front door and where we were at, with great ferocity, informed the would-be intruder he did not belong there. The dog did not budge from her spot and this person did not take another step into the doorway. I had just gotten to the hall where she was at and she positioned herself between the door and me.. Interesting.. Anyhow, I questioned this fool as to his intentions and he apologized and stated he had the wrong apartment.. Our dog never attempted to attack the intruder, nor did she attempt to pursue, unlike a few other dogs I have known. Our dog is a Pyr named Quila.
    FROM HERE :
    Great Pyrenees - Wonderful family dogs!

AND;
    Two young men were cowering against the fence while Frank furiously barked at them from about 2 feet away. Her lips were curled up and I could see the flash of teeth. One young man moved to his left and Frank countered the move, and came in a bit closer, her head down and her eyes blazing. She did not want either of these guys to move.

I yelled out "What are you doing?! Get out of here!" and as I did, I realized Frank was not going to let these guys move one inch, never mind climb back over the fence where they came from. I slowly approached the back fence where Frank held the two intruders at bay. I soon realized both guys were really drunk and quite terrified. One guy was sobbing. "Please lady...please call off your polar bear..please?" I almost laughed. I called Frank, but of course a Pyr in Protector Mode is going to ignore the "come" command.
    FROM HERE;
    Fearless Frank and the Midnight Intruders

Livestock Guardian Dogs at Work ? Another Side of The Great Pyrenees

And this links for a Pyrennees guarding its family against a black bear;
    Great Pyr and Bear - a True Story
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I have a small dog that alerts me to every movement and bump in the night. Then I get my real big mean gun. lol
    BigJon10125 and foxytwo like this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links