Almost had an "encounter" today - Page 2

Almost had an "encounter" today

This is a discussion on Almost had an "encounter" today within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Nice work! And as you say, a great reminder that these kinds of situations can arise at any time and we all need to be ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Almost had an "encounter" today

Nice work!

And as you say, a great reminder that these kinds of situations can arise at any time and we all need to be "awake."

Strange MO on that guy's part: to have alerted you so thoroughly, and that he had a vehicle on the premises, and then to have returned? Very strange. Hope the restaurant followed up on it.

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    I can't believe the guy didn't want anything to do with your flying ashtrays... Those bar types usually like a smoke or two... Odd.

Congrats for a job well done. Nothing bad happened and you and your bride went home safely!

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

Lead Moderator
    Nice job, next time consider calling the non emergency dispatch PD number with a person/ vehicle description. It might save someone else who isn't a vigilant.
    goldshellback likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Nice job, next time consider calling the non emergency dispatch PD number with a person/ vehicle description. It might save someone else who isn't a vigilant.
    I will try to keep it in mind. To be honest, there was so much going on in my mind I neglected to think of it. I had it in my head to call 911 if things went south, but not the non-emergency number. Lesson learned!

Good awareness. Glad it didnt escalate into something worse. Stay safe and carry on.

Distinguished Member
    This is a prime example of SA and judicious use of a concealed weapon can prevent a bad event from happening. Kudos to you and your wife.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

SA & prevention is the best.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NCSoxFan View Post
    I'm glad it worked out for you. The story may have been different here in NC where under current restrictions we can't carry in restaurants that serve alcohol.
    Same in SC. If you want to protect yourself, you have to get fast food, eat at a meat and 3 diner, or stay home.

Ugh. Horrifying. Reminds me of another story someone (here?) told about going to their car at the mall and being followed out. Same tactic, same result. It seems a fairly clear-cut case of when "showing" a weapon does not equal "brandishing" one, or deadly force, etc. It's also interesting in the debate of "concealed vs. open carry" (a race in which I have no horse). That man most definitely could have been armed. --Or maybe he could have been "armed" with a pointed finger in a coat pocket (which could have turned out VERY bad for him given what you had on your waist). In either case, the mere recognition that you had a gun made you much more trouble than you were worth. Had you been open carrying (which you might not be able to, and again, I don't have strong feelings either way), he would have recognized this much sooner and moved on to other, easier prey (just as you saw him probably doing as you left and he re-parked). Either way, it's chilling. Very glad it worked out for you.

Also reminds me: Saturday, I had a pretty bold panhandler approach me AS I WAS WALKING OUT OF A GUN SHOP. --Probably not the best tactic. I'm sure he'll figure that out soon enough.

Ricky

Well played! I think SA is something that I will always continue to work on because it can prevent a situation from occurring in the first place. Your story is further proof.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links