Almost had an "encounter" today

This is a discussion on Almost had an "encounter" today within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thankfully it turned out fine, but hopefully it will serve to remind us all that situational awareness is paramount. I left work early today to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Almost had an "encounter" today

Thankfully it turned out fine, but hopefully it will serve to remind us all that situational awareness is paramount.

I left work early today to take my wife out for her birthday. After some shopping we stopped by a restaurant for a late lunch. We were seated near the bar and throughout the meal I noticed a gentleman sitting at the bar kept looking over. I figured he was jealous that I married up and have a stunning bride. Either that, or he noticed we were nicely dressed, my wife had a designer bag and we tipped generously...

As we got up to leave I kept him in the corner of my eye and, surprise surprise, he decided to leave too. As we walked toward our vehicle I kept him in my peripheral vision as I talked to my wife and he picked up the pace. We were nearly at our car and I pull my coat back to "get my keys out" and "accidently" exposed my holstered M&P 45c. Guy takes a sudden 180 degree turn and decides to get into his own vehicle which he had already passed.

We waited a few minutes for him to leave first. He pulled out and drove around the building, so we went on our way. As we were leaving I noticed he had simply parked in a different spot. My wife looked up the number of the restaurant on her phone and called them to give a description of the man and his vehicle in case they wanted to take further action.

Hopefully he decided to sober up and persue a different hobby. Remain vigilant!

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Well played. Nothing happened, and you went home after a nice afternoon.
    68blackbird likes this.

damn aint that crazy what the hell was he thinking i know in florida though you cant conceal carry and be sitting in the bar area of a restaurant what state do you live in

Quote Originally Posted by kurupt305 View Post
    damn aint that crazy what the hell was he thinking i know in florida though you cant conceal carry and be sitting in the bar area of a restaurant what state do you live in
    We were seated by the hostess near the bar, not at the bar. Besides, the business makes most of it's income from food sales, which is what matters in Michigan with regard to places that sell alcohol.

Sounds like he was up to no good. Seems like your "accident" with regards to the exposure of your CCW convinced him to change his plans.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

well played and glad it didnt turn into anything! nice pistol choice as well!

Good SA. Stay safe, partner.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Well played. Nothing happened, and you went home after a nice afternoon.
    ^ This.

It's about all you can do. Be aware and vigilant, be prepared to take steps to actively protect if things start going sideways, readjusting to the inbound would-be assailant as needed, following up with the shop/police if appropriate (ie, with license plates, description). Perfect.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Could have turned out bad, you did good tho... Good reminder for everyone to stay vigilant, especially in public places like restaurants where people typically have a false sense of security. Stay safe!
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Nice outcome.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

VIP Member
    He shouldn't have been driving either.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

SA can defuse a lot of potential problems...well done!
    goldshellback likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Good SA, stay safe.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    This thread reminds me a bit of an experience (though thankfully much less threatening) that I experienced recently.

Paranoia or due diligence?
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c
    Favorite Firearm: 1968 SW .357 Revolver

I'm glad it worked out for you. The story may have been different here in NC where under current restrictions we can't carry in restaurants that serve alcohol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links