Beyond worst case scenario... Civic and social decay.

This is a discussion on Beyond worst case scenario... Civic and social decay. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Great video MainePrepper made. I totally agree about the importance of battle rifles. Before I got totally crazy for handguns, my focus was completely on ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Beyond worst case scenario... Civic and social decay.

Great video MainePrepper made. I totally agree about the importance of battle rifles. Before I got totally crazy for handguns, my focus was completely on rifles; shotguns are the area I have to look forward to growing into :) Anyway, without a serious rifle you are gonna be hamstrung in this fight. My choice was the PTR 91 because I'm a big fan of the roller lock system and I really like the open sights, especially the rear rotary diopter. But there are lots of great choices out there. Well, not now, but after things come back into stock there will be. I see encouraging signs, at least on Slickguns.

Stay safe all!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    I think you're both right. At first it will be the looting and hate crimes. That's when the people living in the cities will be in the most danger.
    After a few weeks when the looters realize there's nothing left to loot and the electricity isn't coming back on, they head for the suburbs and beyond.

We're nowheres near being prepared for anything more than 2 weeks. We really need to rethink this.
    I am in the same boat. I have some plans to do more but haven't really started doing anything systematically other than training with my weapons. I took our house off our well and on to better municipal water 2 years ago, and it needs repair to be "ready". Have some food, but not nearly enough. Have a big propane tank but would need another one if I install a whole house generator. That's if we decide to hunker down. If we want to bug out, I've got very little ready nor a vehicle big enough to haul what I think we'd need for more than a couple of weeks. Probably time to prioritize.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by GunsAndViolince View Post
    Great video MainePrepper made. I totally agree about the importance of battle rifles. Before I got totally crazy for handguns, my focus was completely on rifles; shotguns are the area I have to look forward to growing into :) Anyway, without a serious rifle you are gonna be hamstrung in this fight. My choice was the PTR 91 because I'm a big fan of the roller lock system and I really like the open sights, especially the rear rotary diopter. But there are lots of great choices out there. Well, not now, but after things come back into stock there will be. I see encouraging signs, at least on Slickguns.

Stay safe all!
    I agree on the battle rifle. I picked up a Saiga .308 and converted it last month and can hit minute of man at 300 yds. Have a 9mm carbine and tactical shotgun for inside 100 yards. Just need to keep training.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Administrator
    I am not insinuating that every individual needs to morph into a battle ready soldier but, folks do need to know that worldwide things are getting worse for the U.S. Dollar. World powers are beginning to move away from the dollar as the world reserve currency. That is not good news and if we get to the point where we are no longer able to endlessly print money that is not backed up by goods and/or services things may get very bad very quickly.
    If you are not prepared at all for things to go south then start doing something. If you are somewhat prepared then think seriously about getting more prepared.
    Hey...I am not a guy that thought the world was going end or that the Earth was going to get creamed by a rogue asteroid but, (without getting into specifics) things suck big time for the U.S. Dollar.
    No matter what else happens we are going to head into a hyper-inflationary era so buy some food now that has longer expiration dates...and (btw) canned food is basically forever.
    At worst if nothing happens you'll have some extra food to eat that you've purchased at lower food prices.

At the very least...when you go food shopping stop thinking in "ones" and buy multiples of things that you normally eat anyway.

That is a great way and painless method to build up a food storage pantry for yourself.
    Olduser, 1MoreGoodGuy and MJClark like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

What QKShooter said. ^^^

And as I've been thinking about this, it seems that individuals might also start thinking about their value in a post-whatever event scenario. In my family, we have a variety of skills represented (including a general medicine doc capable of surgery and ER type work). The kinds of skills that may make you superfluous or unnecessary to those around you: financial stuff like stock trading and such, decorating and fashion, specialized fields of law (which may not exist at all anymore), politics... you get the idea. Skills that will make you highly valued (and less likely to be shot, eaten, abandoned, etc.): mechanical skills, energy/electrical skills (the only way to run anything electric will be with solar or wind power after the gas runs out), medicine, farming, gunsmithing (that'll be a BIG one), and other practical fields. Not that I'm saying some of these things that might be less valued in a less civilized world aren't valuable, but I think it'll be important not to have ONLY these skills. In other words, if you're an investment counselor and that's all you know, you might consider having some hobbies that would be useful if things deteriorate, as I'm sure everybody on this forum does!

Cheers!
    QKShooter and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I am not insinuating that every individual needs to morph into a battle ready soldier but, folks do need to know that worldwide things are getting worse for the U.S. Dollar. World powers are beginning to move away from the dollar as the world reserve currency. That is not good news and if we get to the point where we are no longer able to endlessly print money that is not backed up by goods and/or services things may get very bad very quickly.
    If you are not prepared at all for things to go south then start doing something. If you are somewhat prepared then thing seriously about getting more prepared.
    Hey...I am not a guy that thought the world was going end or that the Earth was going to get creamed by a rogue asteroid but, (without getting into specifics) things suck big time for the U.S. Dollar.
    No matter what else happens we are going to head into a hyper-inflationary era so buy some food now that has longer expiration dates...and (btw) canned food is basically forever.
    At worst if nothing happens you'll have some extra food to eat that you've purchased at lower food prices.

At the very least...when you go food shopping stop thinking in "ones" and buy multiples of things that you normally eat anyway.

That is a great way and painless method to build up a food storage pantry for yourself
    Wise words indeed. This is the precursor of currency wars and there will be no "winners".
    QKShooter and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Olduser View Post
    Wise words indeed. This is the precursor of currency wars and there will be no "winners".
    Here is a man who gets it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    In times past I have lived in the mountains off the grid for a couple years. Wood for heat, heat your water on the wood stove for a bath, outside toilet. The cold weather was the worst. You learned quickly to be prepared, no wood,no heat. Cut it, split it, store it properly. Every day was a struggle. Back then I was really wishing for the comforts I took for granted, but there was something about it that taught me lessons I will never forget. And when it was over and I once again had all the comforts we take for granted, I missed it. It was very rewarding, I just didn't know it at the time. I still look back and smile when I think of those days.
    QKShooter, packinnova and KBSR like this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by MJClark View Post
    How prepared are you to deal with a week or two total chaos without some utilities like power and dealing with looters trying to break into your home. Weather is just one thing that can cause chaos.
    See April tornado, Fultondale Alabama, 2011.. My neighborhood was head on hit, trees down, power lines pulled down. No one injured much thanks to the local weather guys for DAYS of warning this mess was coming.

After the EF4 roared through, several neighbors bugged out to go stay with family, I stayed at home. Had plenty of time to be prepared for the worse so I stocked up on coleman fuel for my stove, lanterns, fuel for the car and ammo just in case. Had a backup generator installed several years ago, with a 250 gallon propane tank, that sucker didn't use nearly as much propane as I'd figured it would either. But after the storm, my house still had power, water, A/C.. I ended up pulling out the coleman stove and setting it up in my drive way, invited the neighbors over for coffee in the AM after the storm. Ended up the neighbors that stayed brought stuff over to cook, no power for freezers etc so they brought whatever they had over, we ended up feeding half the neighborhood before power was restored a week later.

Warning: Some adult language in this vid as the tornado hits
    This vid was taken from an apartment complex, 1/4 mile from my house. The tornado was 3/4's miles wide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztV9RCZV890
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

We have been through 4 hurricanes without power for 4.5 weeks an another time 3 weeks, I am fortunate to live in a retirement community we all have generators an band together to get gas an food an water. We would all meet everyday outside my garage where I had the grill going an coffee on we pooled our food took turns cooking kind of made a good time of it. Old people are armed believe it. It was never brought up in our community before to my knowledge but one of the days I was doing the cooking an my shirt lifed an one of my neibors saw my sp101 he said wow your a revolver guy me to lifted his shirt to show me his S&W 642 there were about 12 to 15 people there all showing their guns man I was in shock so dont mess with old guys in FL you thought those members only jackets were funny, its just good cover :)
    QKShooter, nontechguy and KBSR like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I stock up at the first hint of a hurricane: food, water, 2-3 days of gas for the generator. If I have to go out for more, the wife can stand guard. Picture an angry momma griz who's packing heat--do you really want to try to take what's hers?
    You're supposed to be stocked up ahead of time!
    nontechguy likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    You're supposed to be stocked up ahead of time!
    The first "hint" of a hurricane IS ahead of time. The local news will be pounding it into your head for at least 10 days to 2 weeks.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Yup.....but what about the surprise Meteor ?

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    In times past I have lived in the mountains off the grid for a couple years. Wood for heat, heat your water on the wood stove for a bath, outside toilet. The cold weather was the worst. You learned quickly to be prepared, no wood,no heat. Cut it, split it, store it properly. Every day was a struggle. Back then I was really wishing for the comforts I took for granted, but there was something about it that taught me lessons I will never forget. And when it was over and I once again had all the comforts we take for granted, I missed it. It was very rewarding, I just didn't know it at the time. I still look back and smile when I think of those days.
    I don't have as interesting of a background as that but I do have a somewhat similar experience. My parents used to send me to live with my grandparents in another state for the summer months when I was a kid. My grandfather also still had an old clapboard shack in a wooded area on an inlet for the Intra-Coastal Waterway. He used to keep up a small garden on the property as well and I always ended up working his various crops on his main property all summer and sometimes into fall just as school was starting.

Anyway, once I hit I guess around 12 years old or so he used to drive me over to the shack with my supplies(fishing rod, tackle box, box of hand tools etc...) and leave me for a week or two at a time. He'd come back to check on me every other day, but other than that I was on my own. The place had a phone I could use for emergencies. Water was a hand pump well. There was a small food supply in the pantry, but I wasn't supposed to get into that unless it was an emergency. Any food I had that week was either what I fished/hunted or gathered from the garden and surrounding grounds. I paddled a small boat out into the mud flats and caught my own shrimp for food and bait for bigger fish, set crab pots and fished, set traps for rabbits in the garden, and kept up the garden for the greens and fruits. Every day consisted of getting up as early as possible and getting to work. Then I had a daily "siesta" and slept the hottest couple of hours of the day away in a hammock under a grove of old live oak trees and then back to work again.

It's funny. It always went the same way every time. Days 1-2.5 were an "adventure" and everything was perfect. Usually by day 3 the "oh crap" factor kicked in when I realized I was totally dependent on myself to keep eating the rest of the week.

I NEEDED that at that age and I'm glad I was given that experience. It gives you a whole new perspective on the realities of life when you have to keep yourself alive for extended periods without a parent to take you out to burger king or provide and cook all of your meals for you.

I wish all kids were taught this way. Although, these days I suppose he'd get arrested for child neglect or some such nonsense.
    KBSR likes this.

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    Yup.....but what about the surprise Meteor ?
    Don't do stupid things at stupid times where stupid meteors fall?

-The Mist (2007)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links