Biometric Gun Vault Safes

This is a discussion on Biometric Gun Vault Safes within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've done a bit of research and want more info. So far, I've noticed some people have issues with them reading a fingerprint. Others claim ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Biometric Gun Vault Safes

I've done a bit of research and want more info. So far, I've noticed some people have issues with them reading a fingerprint. Others claim that they'll open with a good thump of a fist.

What's the verdict on these things?

My wife is putting some pressure on me since we're expecting and we have kids at the house more and more nowadays. I usually have four handguns stashed throughout the house in various areas, but need more security for them. I usually have to unload and stow them when kids are over.

What's the best option?

P.S. I also want quick access...

2. Remove Ads

For just keeping guns safe from kids almost any safe will work. THIS ONE is a biometric Safe and big enough for guns and other valuables. Another thing to consider is most of them have a KEY as a backup. So even if it doesn't recognize it, you can use backup KEY. Again, if purpose is just for kid protection, most work just fine.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

I have this one on my nightstand. It holds both my Glock 27 and Walther PPS. Easy, quick access and a key hole if all else fails.

This one consistently gets good reviews.
    http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_LockSAF.htm
    I've only had it a short time and it is for a home gun, so I'm not getting into it daily. No complaints so far and it hasn't missed a read so far.

It is very stout and made heavy duty like the Ft. Knox stuff, and unlike the GunVault that we also have, IMO. The GunVault is thinner and seems cheap in comparison. However, the one positive of the GV is that ours has an AC adapter plugged into the wall, so it isn't sucking batteries dry.

The Ft. Knox is very fast to get into also: http://www.deansafe.com/ftk-pb.html

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    If you want to store all four handguns in one safe, then I recommend GunVault's Microvault Deluxe or a Barska Biometric Safe with Fingerprint Lock.

If you want to store each handgun in separate areas of the house and have quick access to each one of them, then your best bet is to get four Gunvault Speedvault safes. They can be mounted in a variety of positions and you can have very quick access to them. Nonetheless, this option will be VERY expensive!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by Dooger View Post
    I've done a bit of research and want more info. So far, I've noticed some people have issues with them reading a fingerprint. Others claim that they'll open with a good thump of a fist.

What's the verdict on these things?

My wife is putting some pressure on me since we're expecting and we have kids at the house more and more nowadays. I usually have four handguns stashed throughout the house in various areas, but need more security for them. I usually have to unload and stow them when kids are over.

What's the best option?

P.S. I also want quick access...
    Others have answered your bio question. As to opening with a "thump", I have seen the videos, and mine do that as well. Sort of. When you don't fully close them. These things are spring loaded to open, but will close 99% of the way, and sort of bind as you are engaging the latch. So the lid stays closed, but will pop open with a thump. This falls under "don't believe everything you see on the internet". If you just push it closed until it latches, it won't open.

Unloading the gun, as a safety practice, is the most dangerous thing you can do, in my opinion. You are handling the weapon and cycling ammo, with the gun out of the holster, and generally not focused on the weapon, like you are when shooting, it is just something your wife made you do. Get a $30 key lock box from anywhere and stop doing that!! ( In Car Gun Lockers ) These things are available at gun shops, sporting good stores, etc.

I have the Sentry Quick Access Pistol Safe and like it so far. It has a gas shock on the door that raises the door when you unlock it. It's big enough that I can get my Browning Hi Power and my Kahr CM9 in comfortably. The only thing I don't like about it is I wish it had a full 10 digit lock so that there were more possible access codes. But it does allow 4 to 6 digit codes, so that helps a lot.
    ”Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security.”
    Ben Franklin

I do not have a biometric safe and I don't like the idea of of them for quick access. Instead, I am looking to get a mechanical push button (4 or 5 button) gun lock box with key backup. There are several of them out on the market and they can be opened in under two seconds if you practice the button pattern enough.

That way I don't need to worry about the batteries failing, my fingers not being correct, electronics to fail, or a range of other things that might go bad. If it was a full size safe and you did not need to use it for quick entry, then I would say go for it. But for quick access, I like the mechanical option.

I also have a Nanovault 200 for my car for when I find my self in a do not carry situation and I don't want to, or can't run home.
    Drgnfly likes this.

In.Security Home » DETAILED REPORT ON THE INSECURITY OF GUN SAFES MADE BY LEADING U.S. MANUFACTURERS: STACK-ON, GUNVAULT, AND BULLDOG

Here's a good read, along with videos for all those safes.

Get a Fort Knox personal safe, with simplex lock.

Thanks guys... I guess my big issue is "can these safes be trusted?".

I've watched a couple videos on YouTube where a guy pulls a brand new safe out of the box, hits it on each side once and the safe pops right open. This happened with multiple brands. That scares the heck out of me.

I don't think you should purchase one of these small pistol safes with the intent of protecting the pistol but instead purchase it with the intent of protecting a person from the pistol. If you want something to protect them against thieves, then get a full size gun safe. A thief will just walk off with one of the boxes under his arm and get access to it at his own convenience.

The thing that worries me about the Simplex locks is that from what I've read, there are only a little more than 1000 possible combinations and that someone that knows what they are doing could try them all in under 10 minutes. I'd be worried about friends of my children that may be in my home while I'm not there getting into the box.
    ”Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security.”
    Ben Franklin

Check you tube on the brand you are considering. The lock on some Stack-on and Gun Vault units can be easily defeated with a clip. I haven't tried to do it myself but it was shown in the videos and it didn't seem very hard. Something to consider.

http://youtu.be/gxHi4yt_GOU

http://youtu.be/ovjvy0FTxBY

Hard to beat the mechanical pushbutton locks in my opinion.

I recently purchased the Gunvault MV500-STD Microvault Pistol Gun Safe for my handgun. I have it in my nightstand drawer next to my side of the bed. It is tethered to the bed with the security cable. It is loaded, chambered and locked in the safe each night. I bought it to keep the kids out, and a "secure" way to store my gun. Will it keep a BG from stealing it when I am not home? I hope so, but probably not. If the BG wants it, the BG will get it. The BG will probably destroy my furniture to get it, but I guess that is why I have insurance.

But that wasn't my concern. My concern is to keep curious kids eyes and hands off it. So far it has done it's job. One of the things I like about this particular safe is I can press the two middle buttons for 3-5 seconds and an LED light flashes. It is a tamper indicator. Green flashes mean no one tried unsuccessfully to open the safe. Red means one or more attempts were made to get into the safe. Knock on wood....to date, I have had zero red flashes. I check every day I come home from work. The kids dont know where the safe is (albeit not rocket science to figure it out) but they defiantly do not know the key presses to access the safe nor do they know about the tamper indicator. If I see red, there will be a "Come to Jesus" talk with all of them.

Once my CCW clears, it will be a non issue as the only handgun in this safe will be my EDC.

Steve E.

Senior Moderator
    I do not trust Biometric safes, I've had problems with biometric readers reading my fingers.

I have 2 boys and my gun safes/lockers are mainly to keep their friends away from my guns.

I like mechanical locks and have a Fort Knox pistol safe for my quick access handguns.

If you just want something to protect your guns from kids then look at Stack-on Gun lockers
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links