I thought I was going to get jumped over a t-shirt at the mall!

This is a discussion on I thought I was going to get jumped over a t-shirt at the mall! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by oneshot ^^Rediculous post^^^^^^^^ I, like the OP find it very humorous that morons who are so clueless as to think that just ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree185Likes

Thread: I thought I was going to get jumped over a t-shirt at the mall!

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^Rediculous post^^^^^^^^

I, like the OP find it very humorous that morons who are so clueless as to think that just because of skin color, these two figures(MLK and Obama) are cut from the same cloth, when they were polar opposites.
    Stupid people are just that, stupid.
    My post intentionally left out what was on the shirt, because it isn't relevant.
    His reaction was the subject of my reply, not the shirt's content.
    Got spell-check?
    Bardo and Darrow75 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by finst3r View Post
    If you can't restrain yourself from emotional outbursts in social settings,
    then perhaps you should re-think carrying a deadly weapon.
    Typically I am very much able to control myself, but after dealing with 5 very sick kids for three consecutive days, I need a laugh. This was simply an ill timed lapse. Also the shirt is what I found ridiculously funny, not the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by PIESYOR View Post
    "I could stop myself and busted out laughing" But you didn't, so I guess that means you wanted to laugh.

An angry look is justification for threatening the use of deadly physical force? Wow, the laws are really different in your state.
    That was a typo that I missed. I couldn't stop myself is what I intended to say. An angry look is absolutely not justification for deadly force. However three people coming at me in an angry manner is cause to start looking at options for defense.

Lets turn this into a worthwhile discussion, because I'm curious and always willing to learn. In a similiar situation where you are about to be accosted, no chance to talk your way out. Area is crowded enough to make a firearm the least favorable option. What do you do? I would think flashing the weapon might work but I want to hear other options.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Disarming innocent people does not protect innocent people.

Don't ever think that the reason I'm peaceful is because I'm afraid to be violent!

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Dont take it seriously, homeboy's just trying show his click that he's a tough guy. Nothing you couldnt handle, right?
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

Administrator
    It was NOT my intention to "beat up" on the OP. Certainly he does have the "right" to laugh at any old thing that he perceives as being funny.
    Just that folks must also be aware of the the fact that an action of laughter could possibly provoke an unwanted or unexpected reaction.
    If a good, hearty, laugh is worth that potential hassle then (by all means) "have at it" and let it rip and let the chips fall where they may.

What I see as a great contradiction is that anyone wearing an image of M.L.K. would be so quick to want to jump into a violent encounter.
    M.L.K. was truly a great man who espoused peaceful and non violent solutions to disagreements.
    He was a strong advocate of peaceful non violent protest and the swaying of hearts and minds through intelligent discussion and peaceful interaction.
    Obviously the individual wearing the shirt knew nothing about the actual life of M.L.K. and what he stood for.
    And it is very likely that things in general would be radically different for the better today had he not met such an unfortunate, tragic and early demise.
    We did lose a great American when America lost M.L.K.

Quote Originally Posted by finst3r View Post
    My post intentionally left out what was on the shirt, because it isn't relevant.
    His reaction was the subject of my reply, not the shirt's content.
    Got spell-check?
    It was a ridiculous post because you seem to be so easily able to judge whether one man should or shouldn't be carrying a weapon. This forum is a place where we support people carrying, and we support the RIGHT of everyone to carry. But a simple example of a misplaced laugh (followed by a clever cover up in order to avoid confrontation) has you determining that a Marine Vet shouldn't be carrying.
    oneshot likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

I thought that the 'cover' with the bluetooth was pretty clever. It was a good attempt to quickly diffuse a situation without anybody losing face.
    pittypat21, oneshot and RemMod597 like this.
    Mental illness incidents are used to threaten gun rights.
    The March of Dimes headed off the Universal Iron Lung coverage debate, just sayin'.
    Alternately, for those with a toolshed and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    It was a ridiculous post because you seem to be so easily able to judge whether one man should or shouldn't be carrying a weapon. This forum is a place where we support people carrying, and we support the RIGHT of everyone to carry. But a simple example of a misplaced laugh (followed by a clever cover up in order to avoid confrontation) has you determining that a Marine Vet shouldn't be carrying.
    What does that have to do with it? A Marine Vet was stupid enough to walk into the Empire state building with a concealed weapon. Whether he was in the serviceor not has zero bearing on either subject. Past service does is not always indicative of present behaviour. Unless I know someone or know more details about them I do not assume anything by someones service.

My 2 cents: Everybody makes a mistake or has a lack in judgment. IMO the OP had a lack of judgement. Of course it is in his right to laugh at it as is someones right to call someones wife fat..but you don't do it. We should avoid confrontation. But this incident, and the fact he is not hiding it shows that he is not irresponsible. I will not comment on the fact that he mentioned about possibly drawing since he did not give enough info on how serious he was about it.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    What does that have to do with it? A Marine Vet was stupid enough to walk into the Empire state building with a concealed weapon. Whether he was in the serviceor not has zero bearing on either subject.

My 2 cents: Everybody makes a mistake or has a lack in judgment. IMO the OP had a lack of judgement. Of course it is in his right to laugh at it as is someones right to call someones wife fat..but you don't do it. We should avoid confrontation. But this incident, and the fact he is not hiding it shows that he is not irresponsible. I will not comment on the fact that he mentioned about possibly drawing since he did not give enough info on how serious he was about it.
    I specifically mentioned that he's a Marine Vet because his profile name told me so.

IMO, every single one of us at some point or another either has already, or will in the future, exercise a lack of judgement. It is my point that a simple lack of judgement is not grounds for anybody to be the decider of who should or shouldn't carry. We should avoid confrontation. OP clearly did that when he used his quick thinking with the bluetooth to avoid the confrontation and cover up for his lapse in judgement.

He also already stated his reason for the line about drawing in a mall. When 3 angry men approach you, defense is on the mind. He didn't want to use his gun if that became necessary since he was in a crowded mall, so his point (whether he initially made it clear or not) was that he was thinking of other means of defense should he need to defend himself.
    suntzu likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Always try to make certain when you are armed that your actions serve to avoid conflict and confrontation rather than help to create it.

If it helps any just think of it in monetary terms. If you escalate a scenario that ends up in a shooting and the person that you are forced to shoot...dies - it will be deemed a homicide until your State attorney General decides that it was justified. It will need to be determined if you knew the victim or not - if there was possibly drugs involved etc etc.
    Your firearm will be confiscated and you will at least temporarily lose your license to carry.
    The victims family may decide to avenge that death in various assorted ways no matter who was at fault.

You will need to hire a competent attorney before being questioned by the police regarding the incident.
    If the person that you end up shooting is only injured...then plan on being sued in Civil court. Even if you win and the civil case is ultimately tossed out you are looking at a MINIMUM of 10 Grand for attorney fees.
    In short and no matter what...you are possibly creating a monumental "life mess" for yourself.

Just as an added FYI in case folks were unaware of the fact ~ M.L.K. was a conservative registered Republican.
    Just a clarification on terminology: Any time a person dies as a result of action (and in some cases, inaction) of another individual, the cause of death is considered "homicide"--no attorney or DA can change that fact. You are referring perhaps to a term that implies a criminal act. The term "homicide" is typically coupled with a descriptive legal adjective and can encompass such legal terms as "justifiable", "negligent", "vehicular", "criminal", and in the case of government executions, "judicial". The term I think you meant was "murder", rather than "homicide", but the two are not interchangeable. Just a friendly FYI.
    pittypat21 and QKShooter like this.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

NRA Patron Member

I thought I was going to get jumped over a t-shirt at the mall!

I think the first mistake was going to the mall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Your ordeal sounds eerily similar to a certain George Zimmerman.

Doesn't avoid conflict, gets in over head, has to use firearm to get out of hot water = Life ruined

I would be willing to wager that if Zimmerman could turn back the clock he would avoid that unnecessary conflict like the plague.
    finst3r likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RonCo View Post
    Your ordeal sounds eerily similar to a certain George Zimmerman.

Doesn't avoid conflict, gets in over head, has to use firearm to get out of hot water = Life ruined

I would be willing to wager that if Zimmerman could turn back the clock he would avoid that unnecessary conflict like the plague.
    Wow. Now that's the most ridiculous comparison I've ever heard. Unbelievable.
    bombthrower77 and Taurahe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    I specifically mentioned that he's a Marine Vet because his profile name told me so.

IMO, every single one of us at some point or another either has already, or will in the future, exercise a lack of judgement. It is my point that a simple lack of judgement is not grounds for anybody to be the decider of who should or shouldn't carry. We should avoid confrontation. OP clearly did that when he used his quick thinking with the bluetooth to avoid the confrontation and cover up for his lapse in judgement.

He also already stated his reason for the line about drawing in a mall. When 3 angry men approach you, defense is on the mind. He didn't want to use his gun if that became necessary since he was in a crowded mall, so his point (whether he initially made it clear or not) was that he was thinking of other means of defense should he need to defend himself.
    How do you know he is not a Marine (aquatic) Vetranarian? J/k I agree with the rest of the post. Try to avoid trouble but regardless how a threat comes you need to be prepared.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I've taught some undergraduate law classes and two things I've told every one of them about avoiding legal trouble of any kind is: "Don't be a jackass, especially if you wield power. Treat others the same way you would want to be treated." I then add, "Why start something knowing that the outcome will be decided in a courtroom?"
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

I'm confused as to why you think the shirt is funny. The POTUS has undoubtedly accomplished more than Dr. MLK Jr. I think it's a fair comparison. Obama has been an inspiration to millions, and he has had the authority to make changes. MLK Jr. was just an inspiration.
    bklynboy and tundra like this.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links