I thought I was going to get jumped over a t-shirt at the mall! - Page 6

I thought I was going to get jumped over a t-shirt at the mall!

This is a discussion on I thought I was going to get jumped over a t-shirt at the mall! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Taurahe Last time I checked, the OP was well within his rights as a free person to laugh at something he finds ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree185Likes

Thread: I thought I was going to get jumped over a t-shirt at the mall!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Last time I checked, the OP was well within his rights as a free person to laugh at something he finds humorous. I see gang banger wannabees all the time wearing shirts and hats with marijauna leaves and other stupid crap on them. They have a right to wear it if they choose, and I have a right to laugh at their stupidity. I will agree it is easier to stay out of trouble than to get out of trouble, but the OP did nothing wrong. He did not openly comment to them. They took it upon themselves to be the open aggressor, not the OP.
    And it's that kind of "it's my right to do anything I want to do" mind set that can get a person killed over nothing. Maybe you need to read "Facing Violence". It's a good book...and I wish you luck.
    USM1976 likes this.

It's also my belief there are many, many CHL holders who feel much more brave now than prior to carrying a handgun. The biggest peacemaker is one's mouth and knowing when to use it.
    mg27, Secret Spuk and Phaedrus like this.

The mouth, connected to a functioning brain.
    Phaedrus likes this.

As someone who carries and is in business I have learned in my 22 years you really should avoid commenting on religion, politics, and sometimes even sports (people get crazy sometimes). In my own mind though I do agree with you it's pretty funny.

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Always try to make certain when you are armed that your actions serve to avoid conflict and confrontation rather than help to create it.

If it helps any just think of it in monetary terms. If you escalate a scenario that ends up in a shooting and the person that you are forced to shoot...dies - it will be deemed a homicide until your State attorney General decides that it was justified. It will need to be determined if you knew the victim or not - if there was possibly drugs involved etc etc.
    Your firearm will be confiscated and you will at least temporarily lose your license to carry.
    The victims family may decide to avenge that death in various assorted ways no matter who was at fault.

You will need to hire a competent attorney before being questioned by the police regarding the incident.
    If the person that you end up shooting is only injured...then plan on being sued in Civil court. Even if you win and the civil case is ultimately tossed out you are looking at a MINIMUM of 10 Grand for attorney fees.
    In short and no matter what...you are possibly creating a monumental "life mess" for yourself.

Just as an added FYI in case folks were unaware of the fact ~ M.L.K. was a conservative registered Republican.

It will cost more than $10K for attorneys to represent one in a felony criminal case or any civil case...FYI, all killings of one human being by another human being are homicides...

While I agree with you major portion of your comment, the final line is misleading...while MLK, Jr and Sr. were registered Republicans, MLK, Jr. voted Democrat. They were Republican only from the standpoint that the Republican Party was formed prior to the Civil War to stop slavery.
    The Democrats fought to sustain slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    I pretty much believe the O/P was bolstered by A) the fact that he was armed, and B) the other guy was fair game for ridicule because of his race, or lifestyle.
    I may be wrong, and if I am I apologize right out of the gate, but it seems to me that you are implying that I'm racist and that that is the only reason I laughed. Either that or you think I'm a coward. This I won't even dignify.

The O/P went to great length to describe the individual and identify his race. (Underpriviliged, and not being able to afford a belt). Then it seems you did have a problem.
    I fail to see how this is going to great length to identify anyone's race. Last time I checked, sagging your jeans wasn't specific to any one race. The underprivileged and not being able to afford a belt was simply an attempt at humor (I'll admit probably a poor one) because his pants were very near his knees and kept falling if he let them go.

I wonder if you wasnt carrying, would have been so bold as to laugh in this guys face. What you did was made assumptions about a situation you had no part in. You made assumptions that the individual wouldnt be offended by you, You made assumptions that because you was armed that you would prevail, you made assumptions that people on this site wouldnt be offended.
    You seem to be making an awful lot of assumptions yourself. First of all, he and his friends came around a corner probably ten feet away from me when I noticed THE SHIRT and laughed at THE SHIRT. Hardly in his face. Second his race didn't register until he and his friends were making a beeline towards me. In the spirit of full disclosure, yes he was black. However his friends were latino and white.

Individual rights are not granted to a few, or only to people who look like us.

This could have blown way out of proportion. With rights come responsibility.
    In this we agree 100%. I admitted in the first post that I shouldn't have laughed, and explained the reason for the lapse in my normal self control in a subsequent post. Apparently you seemed to have missed that. It seems to me that the fact that I admitted fault and acted in a way to diffuse the situation non-violently doesn't count a whole lot in your eyes.

There are a hundred ways to handle a similar situation.... One would have been to be man enough to engage in conversation about the O/P's opinion. Judgment call's were made based on racial, and cultural differences.
    Again I would agree with you...IF it hadn't been THREE visibly hostile people trying to square off against me. A slightly overweight, mid to late thirty something with a noticeable limp form a bad car accident a few years ago.

None of that equals fear of imminent death or serious physical injury.
    I reiterate...THREE visibly hostile people against me. (see above description if you forgot)

If the O/P is intimidated by the T-shirt guys clothes, or race.... that could be a problem
    Another assumption on your part. First, clothes are in no way shape or form intimidating. They are dyed pieces of fabric. Second, growing up in a bad neighborhood, followed by five years as an active duty Marine, very few people are intimidating to me. I've seen enough in my life to not be concerned about someone until their actions show me differently. As I stated before, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but please try to base it in fact and get details before spouting off. Yes I admit that I didn't include every teeny little detail for your reading pleasure. Sorry. [rant off]
    Disarming innocent people does not protect innocent people.

Don't ever think that the reason I'm peaceful is because I'm afraid to be violent!

Your lucky that them O G's didnt gang up on you.. lol.

Seriously Im sure people aready said it on here, But when carrying its just better to avoid trouble, defuse and avoid situations, Not get involved in road rage.. If they would of decided to jump you and you shot one of them, You would be bunking in jail with a bunch of those guys..

Sponsor
    I just love the way our self righteous selves have no problem pointing out how badly the OP acted when, in fact he very quickly and and quietly diffused the situation with a few words.

I'd have laughed at the shirt too.

No one has a constitutional guaranteed right to not be offended. I do have a constitutional guaranteed, God given right to defend myself.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinevet1994 View Post
    who couldn't afford a belt to hold his pants up
    And we all know that was the reasoning behind his pants sagging

That's why i love my job... If i see any sagging going on i can say pull up your freaking pants. The best part... They actually have to listen :) It doesn't help me much in public situations but i just ignore em at all costs.

he very quickly and and quietly diffused the situation with a few words.

Re: I thought I was going to get jumped over a t-shirt at the mall!

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    In reading the original post it seems obvious that the punk in the funny shirt got the message loud and clear that he was being laughed at by the OP. He understood the implication and the OP certainly did. Look..we can slant this a number of ways but it is what it is. I'm glad the situation didn't escalate to the point that the OP had to bring his gun into play and have his whole world turned upside down because he had to ventilate some insignificant loser with a temper, in a shopping mall over a silly shirt. All avoidable.
    The key is don't do stuff when you're armed that you wouldn't do unarmed. I'm surrounded by thugs where I work and with them it's all about respect. I could see myself getting a chuckle in the same situation but I would have at least turned my head and coughed.
    Just wondering if the OP had been with his family or was unarmed would he have been more cautious.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    The OP asked for other options in this specific situation and everybody has been straying off on rants about this and that............

I think that a good "less-lethal" option would be to have a nice little surprise for them in the form of some "Mean Green" OC spray from Fox Labs. Had they chosen to try and become more aggressive, a blast to their faces might have altered the situation significantly. The mall owners might not be happy with the OC residue clearing out that portion of the Mall for a while, but if they (Mall Management) gave you a hard time, you could ask them if they would have preferred to be cleaning up blood and bodies.........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

OP is lucky the situation didn't go south quickly.

While tribalism may seem stupid, never underestimate its power.

Other than that, having OC gas and being able to move quickly are of the utmost importance.

Amazing how the description of this event has changed or corrected so we are suppose to better understand how it occurred....hmmm ???

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    The OP asked for other options in this specific situation and everybody has been straying off on rants about this and that............

I think that a good "less-lethal" option would be to have a nice little surprise for them in the form of some "Mean Green" OC spray from Fox Labs. Had they chosen to try and become more aggressive, a blast to their faces might have altered the situation significantly. The mall owners might not be happy with the OC residue clearing out that portion of the Mall for a while, but if they (Mall Management) gave you a hard time, you could ask them if they would have preferred to be cleaning up blood and bodies.........
    Yep, perhaps, that would have worked well, but when the police were called to ther assault scene...and it would have been so reported...guess who would have probably gone to jail ?? Several people sprayed with pepper spray...hmmm ? Three people standing up to a percieved insult
    get sprayed and nobody was touched except them...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links