I thought I was going to get jumped over a t-shirt at the mall!

This is a discussion on I thought I was going to get jumped over a t-shirt at the mall! within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott The OP asked for other options in this specific situation and everybody has been straying off on rants about this ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree185Likes

Thread: I thought I was going to get jumped over a t-shirt at the mall!

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    The OP asked for other options in this specific situation and everybody has been straying off on rants about this and that............

I think that a good "less-lethal" option would be to have a nice little surprise for them in the form of some "Mean Green" OC spray from Fox Labs. Had they chosen to try and become more aggressive, a blast to their faces might have altered the situation significantly. The mall owners might not be happy with the OC residue clearing out that portion of the Mall for a while, but if they (Mall Management) gave you a hard time, you could ask them if they would have preferred to be cleaning up blood and bodies.........
    I dont think I'm ranting... If I am please accept a hearty "I'M SORRY"
    USM1976 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Honestly you shouldn't provoke people when carrying. You have an obligation to avoid confrontation. Also you should have insinuated you were laughing about your bluetooth conversation to de-escalate the perceived disrespect. Glad you're ok though...

I would have laughed too.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by marinevet1994 View Post
    I may be wrong, and if I am I apologize right out of the gate, but it seems to me that you are implying that I'm racist and that that is the only reason I laughed. Either that or you think I'm a coward. This I won't even dignify.

I'm not calling you a racist. I'm just saying that you went out of the way to describe in negative terms the probable race of this guy. I'm suggesting that pretending to be laughing at something else when confronted was less than heroic. I'm suggesting that maybe some conversation would have better served the situation, or perhaps just walking away.

I fail to see how this is going to great length to identify anyone's race. Last time I checked, sagging your jeans wasn't specific to any one race. The underprivileged and not being able to afford a belt was simply an attempt at humor (I'll admit probably a poor one) because his pants were very near his knees and kept falling if he let them go.

You will notice that I suggested race or lifestyle... not just race, because I know kids of all kinds who could fit your discription.

You seem to be making an awful lot of assumptions yourself. First of all, he and his friends came around a corner probably ten feet away from me when I noticed THE SHIRT and laughed at THE SHIRT. Hardly in his face. Second his race didn't register until he and his friends were making a beeline towards me. In the spirit of full disclosure, yes he was black. However his friends were latino and white.

Is someone looked at you and laughed out loud... would that make you wonder if there was some sort of a problem? Maybe your shirt is buttoned wrong. If you confronted the person would your two buddies ignore the situation? As far as his race not registering... bull... you went into great detail in painting a very vivd picture of him. And the truth of the matter is... It dont matter what his race is, any more than it matters what race you are... This discussion is (for me) about the decisions we make with regards to walking around armed.

In this we agree 100%. I admitted in the first post that I shouldn't have laughed, and explained the reason for the lapse in my normal self control in a subsequent post. Apparently you seemed to have missed that. It seems to me that the fact that I admitted fault and acted in a way to diffuse the situation non-violently doesn't count a whole lot in your eyes.

I personally dont have a problem with your laughing. It's not like we can control laughter... If it's funny it's funny. I just dont see where there was any violence, or the threat of any violence.

Again I would agree with you...IF it hadn't been THREE visibly hostile people trying to square off against me. A slightly overweight, mid to late thirty something with a noticeable limp form a bad car accident a few years ago.

Maybe I did miss something... As I read it it was one guy with the funny tee-shirt, and two friends. You laughed and the tee shirt guy asked if you had a problem. His two friends walked over to the tee shirt guy... You made excuses and everyone left. The two friends never having said anything. Again where is the threat that would justified considering the use of deadly physical force?

I reiterate...THREE visibly hostile people against me. (see above description if you forgot)

What was hostile?... did they threaten you?... did they say anything?... were their fists balled?... Did they produce weapons?
    what visible hostility did they show?

Another assumption on your part. First, clothes are in no way shape or form intimidating. They are dyed pieces of fabric. Second, growing up in a bad neighborhood, followed by five years as an active duty Marine, very few people are intimidating to me. I've seen enough in my life to not be concerned about someone until their actions show me differently. As I stated before, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but please try to base it in fact and get details before spouting off. Yes I admit that I didn't include every teeny little detail for your reading pleasure. Sorry. [rant off]
    Come on man... you did go into every teeny detail when describing tee shirt guy. I respect your pedigree. Having grown up in a bad beighborhood, and serving your country in the USMC. ( and I thank you for that service) My entire point is simply this... We all carry an enormous amount of responsibility when we carry a firearm. We cant allow our personal opinions, or personal preference into the decision making when considering using deadly physical force.

The only sure way to win a gunfight.... is to not have one.
    Hopyard and USM1976 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mg27 View Post
    Your lucky that them O G's didnt gang up on you.. lol.

Seriously Im sure people aready said it on here, But when carrying its just better to avoid trouble, defuse and avoid situations, Not get involved in road rage.. If they would of decided to jump you and you shot one of them, You would be bunking in jail with a bunch of those guys..
    Regardless of laughing or not laughing which by the way is not aggression, being approached by 3 against one and that one with a visible impairment I still stick to they were waiting for somebody with a limp etc just like him to do this crap too for any reason they could think of.
    Now lets move on. Op laughs, ten feet distant, no aggression or threat in that. Is confronted with verbal aggression by 3 to one and the one physically impaired to boot. the 3 escalate to phyically attacking or jumping on as you put it the one physically handicapped person
    At that point whatever the cause the physical attack is initiated by 3 against against one older physically impaired person.
    Drawing and failing retreat of the aggressors to stop the attack we now have reasonable believe of seriously bodily harm at least or death at worst.
    I seriously doubt if the idiots had went that far op is bunking anywhere but at home.
    Should have happened no. Did no. What starts as one thing changes once one is attacked by mulitiple attackers however it started. Much less a laugh.
    oneshot likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

(Soapbox) So now we must be so politically correct as not be able to laugh at something funny because it would offend someone. Looks like several folks need to get a thicker skin. How does carrying make anyone prohibited from laughing. How was the OP able to determine the reaction of others. Now exercising our 2 admedment rights limits our 1 admedment rights. I think we sometimes take ourselves too seriously. I've seen the mall rats too with nothing better to do than look for any opportunity for a confrontation. That's what they do. If they hadn't have approached the OP they may have used any excuse to approach someone else. Glad the OP used his intelligence to overcome. I see irony in the stupid shirt too. You don't need anyone's permission to laugh and exercise your rights just like he has every right to wear the shirt. Exercising our 2 admedment rights makes us no less reactionary and human than others, why should it. i say we are more responsible for not provoking confrotation, not slink into the shadows to avoid life. Isnt thay why we carry so we can live our live free of harm? The OP didn't say a word. Just laughter. Looks like the only fool was the mall rat. (Off soap box)
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by USM1976 View Post
    It's also my belief there are many, many CHL holders who feel much more brave now than prior to carrying a handgun. The biggest peacemaker is one's mouth and knowing when to use it.
    .............and when not to
    USM1976 likes this.
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

I had something similar happen when I was stationed out in north Carolina. A couple of thug wanna- be types said I had looked at them the wrong way. Now I had both my wife and son with me. These guys told my they were going to follow me to my car and handle it there. I had my wife dial 911 and be ready to press send. I then headed to my vehicle after talking to a security guard that was " going to handle it". When we were about 100 ft from my truck I noticed the same 2 guys walking on the row over from us. I had my wife press call on her phone and hurry to the vehicle. I drew and placed my 27 behind my right leg. I told them we had called the cops and they were on the way. Luckily, they decided that they didn't w want to go to jail. If they had come any closer my family or tried to fight me I would have used lethal force, just glad it didn't come to this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USM1976 View Post
    Yep, perhaps, that would have worked well, but when the police were called to ther assault scene...and it would have been so reported...guess who would have probably gone to jail ?? Several people sprayed with pepper spray...hmmm ? Three people standing up to a percieved insult
    get sprayed and nobody was touched except them...

^^^Three thugs^^^^^^^^^

taking someones laugh the way THEY intend, and forcing THEIR hand, looks like disparity of force IMHO.

You being retired LEO should know about these little things.
    The OP would have went home fully exonerated, with whatever he would have done to these idiot bottom feeders to protect himself from a savage attack brought on by an obvious disparity of force..
    DPro.40 likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

And... that's the final word. This thread has drifted off course.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links