12 yr old daughter and pepper spray/legal at school?

This is a discussion on 12 yr old daughter and pepper spray/legal at school? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I wasn't sure of where to post this so if it's in the wrong area please move it. The expiration on my wifes pepper spray ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 12 yr old daughter and pepper spray/legal at school?

I wasn't sure of where to post this so if it's in the wrong area please move it.
    The expiration on my wifes pepper spray was nearing so while at the gunshop with my family yesterday I picked up a new one for my wife and decided it was time for my daughter to carry one(she is now 12). I had purchased an extra one to let my daughter experiment and practice with and I instructed her to the best of my ability on how to use it and when to use it. I was thinking today, I wonder if that is legal to carry at school in a small purse/phone case? I guess I never thought about it. How many people feel that in a life threatening situation, Would Pepper spray buy you time to get away?

2. Remove Ads

Since the ignorant libs don't allow firearms in most schools, I would be thrilled if my child were allowed to have pepper spray at school. He/she might just save his/her life and others by giving time for an adult to subdue the perp. The problem is that I doubt if the libs would want a child to be able to protect their self with pepper spray any more than they would a gun. They would rather deal with dead students than train our children to protect themselves.

VIP Member
    Well you have two totally different questions in your post: Is it legal for your daughter to carry OC at school and does OC help in a potentially combative situation. Unfortunately I doubt anybody is going to be able to answer those for you (and if they do, you better not rely on it and do your own research and find out)...

First off, you would need to check your state and local laws that pertain to OC devices. Then you need to find out, assuming that there are no state/local laws against it, if it's accepted by the school district. I would doubt it would be, but I have no idea. It seems that most schools frown upon anything that might be useful in self defense simply because they fear that it will be used for offense instead. They are more comfortable with unarmed, helpless victims because allowing people to 'fight back' would require an acknowledgement that violent people do exist and they don't follow rules.

Secondly, OC can be effective in a hostile situation. It can also be useless, and I suppose in some instances it could even be detrimental. That is going to depend on the person using it and their abilities and judgements. Would it help your daughter? I dunno. I don't know your daughter, so I can't really say. I keep OC close by in my vehicle and my wife does as well, plus she also takes a canister of it when she exercises outside.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    I think you'd have to check your state's penal and education code, and also look carefully at
    any paperwork you were asked to sign regarding discipline and banned items; here they are
    given to the kids for parent's signature on the first day of school.

Retsupt might know the answer as he is a retired school Superintendent from that state, I think.

You could also ask the Principal, though the answer is almost predicable-- "say what? H-NO!!!"

Still, you can ask because you just never know what you will be told. If somehow you are told it is OK,
    ask for that in writing.

FWIW, around here the schools have fits when kids bring their asthma rescue inhalers. They
    go ballistics over Tylenol.

Good luck.

P.S. Make sure carrying pepper is OK in your city or county. There are states where pepper is legal but
    it is prohibited by local rules.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I have a feeling that if it is not already banned, it will be as soon as the first child is found with it. It's a pretty safe bet that as soon as you ask the school superintendent's office, they will get it added to the list of prohibited items.
    PatAz likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Wow, Ya know, I didn't really think of all that. All that over a can of pepper spray! I guess on the first question we will be following the don't ask don't tell rule, because I'll be damned if some perp is gonna "God forbid" try to throw my daughter into a van without having to work to do it! I'm not raising cream puffs!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hoganbeg and perfection like this.

Senior Moderator
    I really doubt if your daughters school will allow pepper spray to be carried there.

Second, pepper spray can be a good option for self defense. But the person using it needs to know what it feels like when they get sprayed with it, because some of it will get on them and they need to be prepared for that.

Also some people have been sprayed with pepper spray enough to know that it is just pain and they can fight through it very easily. The biggest advantage is that it makes you close your eyes when you are sprayed in the face with it. Giving the sprayer an opportunity to take other actions.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

It was banned at my school. Only because some idiot brought some to class one day and spread it in the middle of a classroom he didn't want to be taking a test for.

Quote Originally Posted by humblenutto View Post
    It was banned at my school. Only because some idiot brought some to class one day and spread it in the middle of a classroom he didn't want to be taking a test for.
    Folks, you can't fix stupid!
    oneshot and lionround like this.

I would think it would be banned. I would try to find the answer on my own. I wouldn't call and ask because as soon as you do it will be banned. As the OP mentions, I would follow a "don't ask, don't tell" policy. I would think that so long as your daughter exercises good judgment and doesn't pepper spray her class in order to get out of a test that she'll be fine. Now, if one of her friends gets hold of it and sprays the class? Well, I imagine there would be reprecussions for your daughter, and prolly you too.
    84160 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I'm no expert; probably very far from it. But, as soon as the question is asked, the answer is a resounding 'NO'.

As long as there are no laws against it, and it's not mentioned in the list of 'banned items' or anything like that, the 'don't ask, don't tell' policy is the best.

I was expelled in the 7th grade because someone 'said' I had been talking about taking a gun to school. Completely ignoring the facts of the 'incident'. (Those facts being that I said no such thing)

If it's found out that your daughter has OC spray I will pretty much guarantee an expulsion in her future, regardless of any of the facts behind it. I don't agree with it, but that's pretty much how the school administrators do things since the Columbine High shooting.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    I have contacted the MSP personally .

Here is their page pertaining to this matter
    Michigan Legislature - Section 750.224d

Here is the only wording on this matter pertaining to Pepper spray and minors, taken from the above link.

(4) A person shall not sell a self-defense spray or foam device to a minor. A person who violates this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or a fine of not more than $500.00, or both.

I emailed the MSP at their website and asked if my 15 year old daughter(at the time) could be in possesion, and she (they,MSP said yes there is nothing against the law pertaining to age.

I would gather that for a 12 year old it would be alright as well, but maybe email them with you're question, so when they e mail the response , you have them on record.
    Now school is another matter.
    I read the bylaws of the HS where my daughter went to school, and it stated explicitly, NO PEPPER SPRAY.

I have put more than one question before them in this manner, and if they cannot find the answer, they ask the state lawyers.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    I have a feeling that if it is not already banned, it will be as soon as the first child is found with it. It's a pretty safe bet that as soon as you ask the school superintendent's office, they will get it added to the list of prohibited items.
    I agree with both your statements and for the same exact reasons.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by icemanls2 View Post
    How many people feel that in a life threatening situation, Would Pepper spray buy you time to get away?
    Absolutely, depending on the situation. It's better than prayer and pixie dust ... and you both know it.

If your 12yr old child is responsible and understands the utility and limitations of its use, then by all means "arm" her. If you/she haven't done so already, I'd also recommend a defensive course or two on protecting herself, including on the effective use of non-lethal arms, techniques, tactics. The spray should be a part of that. If she's willing, being sprayed should be a part of that, too, so she'll appreciate what it is/isn't capable of.
    perfection likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I will gurantee that pepper is a no go in your childs school. I wouldnt even risk it.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links