De-Fence for Home Defense

This is a discussion on De-Fence for Home Defense within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Imagine a vertical V shaped 1/4" to 1/2" steel plate shield on wheels (The De-Fence). You are behind the De-Fence in the corner of your ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: De-Fence for Home Defense

Lightbulb De-Fence for Home Defense

Imagine a vertical V shaped 1/4" to 1/2" steel plate shield on wheels (The De-Fence).

You are behind the De-Fence in the corner of your room.

A tiny slit for viewing and a hole for your weapon.

What bad boy would continue the attack when faced with an armed homeowner behind a bullet proof shield?

2. Remove Ads

Could you just buy a riot shield?
    ”One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

"Carry your gun - it's a lighter burden than regret."
    ~Breda

VIP Member
    Huh?

I think if you want to hide/wait for the cavalry, there's probably easier ways to go about it than rolling around a 700 pound 'portable' barrier. Why not just have your bedroom door reinforced and hardened.
    atctimmy, msgt/ret and PEF like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    The ultimate safe room.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DJC7 View Post
    Could you just buy a riot shield?
    Ever check the cost of a Police Riot Shield? They are priced at 2 Grand Plus.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Huh?

I think if you want to hide/wait for the cavalry, there's probably easier ways to go about it than rolling around a 700 pound 'portable' barrier. Why not just have your bedroom door reinforced and hardened.
    What he said. :)
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyntonstu View Post
    Imagine a vertical V shaped 1/4" to 1/2" steel plate shield on wheels (The De-Fence).

You are behind the De-Fence in the corner of your room.

A tiny slit for viewing and a hole for your weapon.

What bad boy would continue the attack when faced with an armed homeowner behind a bullet proof shield?

A BG who will throw something over the fence and hit you in the head. A BG who is fast enough to
    charge and jump the fence. A BG carrying pepper.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    A BG who will throw something over the fence and hit you in the head. A BG who is fast enough to
    charge and jump the fence. A BG carrying pepper.
    First, you shoot as soon as the BG enters the room.

See my other post about a 2 door bullet proof corner that is floor to ceiling and locked to prevent forced entry.

Hello from SE Fl

In addition with a few holes and a holes through the wall, you could breathe as you bomb the house with tear gas and/or pepper spray.

A shotgun behind a bullet proof barrier would IMHO stop any BG.

What scenario would put you it in? BG chases you to room and you have time to run behind it and get set for a shot thru the hole.? BG is standing in doorway when you wake up ...same question ? You hear a noise in the house and hide behind the barrier rather than investigate ?

I just don't see it as being so practical that I would spend the money or have it taking up space in my bed room. Could I envision a scenario where this would be effective... yes ...but what about the other more likely situations.

Quote Originally Posted by latentcarry View Post
    What scenario would put you it in? BG chases you to room and you have time to run behind it and get set for a shot thru the hole.? BG is standing in doorway when you wake up ...same question ? You hear a noise in the house and hide behind the barrier rather than investigate ?

I just don't see it as being so practical that I would spend the money or have it taking up space in my bed room. Could I envision a scenario where this would be effective... yes ...but what about the other more likely situations.
    I think that it is great to think about possible scenarios.

One step or 2 steps into the corner. (or crawl)

Grab one swinging door and get behind it; gun(s) mounted on door.

You are shielded with only 1 door, but you could grab the other one as well and lock yourself in.

Assume that your gun jams. You are still safe. You could have backups as well as a shotgun or a rife.

VIP Member
    OK let's get real here. Who the heck wants to have a 300 pound steel shield on wheels in their bedroom on the off chance that someone might break in someday. The reality is that we are going to live thousands of days and spend thousands of nights in our bedrooms and MAYBE once in a lifetime have a SD encounter, maybe...possibly.

The sure thing is that every day my wife would have to look at that ugly steel shield in the room and she would hate it. After a while it would get covered with laundry and eventually, like unused gym equipment, get sold for half of what i paid for it on Craigslist. The product idea makes absolutely no sense, none whatsoever.

I'm sorry OP, it's just a lousy idea and there is really no way to put any lipstick on this pig.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    OK let's get real here. Who the heck wants to have a 300 pound steel shield on wheels in their bedroom on the off chance that someone might break in someday. The reality is that we are going to live thousands of days and spend thousands of nights in our bedrooms and MAYBE once in a lifetime have a SD encounter, maybe...possibly.

The sure thing is that every day my wife would have to look at that ugly steel shield in the room and she would hate it. After a while it would get covered with laundry and eventually, like unused gym equipment, get sold for half of what i paid for it on Craigslist. The product idea makes absolutely no sense, none whatsoever.

I'm sorry OP, it's just a lousy idea and there is really no way to put any lipstick on this pig.
    Exactly.

Honestly, it sounds like you are fortifying your crack house! If you are that concerned about that sort of home invasion, then you probably need to be looking for a new place to call home instad of trying to create an armored corner capable of repelling a Mongol horde.

A dog will probably do more for actual home security than the plate steel rolling bat cave.
    NONAME762 and mr.stuart like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post

A little imagination and an ugly steel shield could look like a fine oil painting.

Cover the steel with plywood, etc. and decorate according to your preference.

Hinged bullet proof shields are as easy to swing as any door.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The steel shield might get in the way of my aim...
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyntonstu View Post
    A little imagination and an ugly steel shield could look like a fine oil painting.

Cover the steel with plywood, etc. and decorate according to your preference.

Hinged bullet proof shields are as easy to swing as any door.
    Well, there is no limit to your optimism. I'll give you that much.

Refine your idea and give it a second go. I can say this though, a shield on wheels is a 100% no go. If you want people to put it in their homes it has to be pretty. Remember your market! The buyers will be people who can afford to put an item like this in their home. These kind of people, who could afford your product, are the kind of people that care what their home decor looks like. These people place value in form and in function. If the product can look like art or be pretty then it's possible. That's the only way.
    msgt/ret and PEF like this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links