Securing Home/Lockdown...Lights on or off?

This is a discussion on Securing Home/Lockdown...Lights on or off? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A friend of mine recently (last night) had two escaped convicts around his house that is waaaaay out in the country. His wife calls and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Securing Home/Lockdown...Lights on or off?

Securing Home/Lockdown...Lights on or off?

A friend of mine recently (last night) had two escaped convicts around his house that is waaaaay out in the country. His wife calls and says that she heard on the radio that there was a police chase in the area of their house and that the 2 escapees had ditched the car and were on foot in the same area.....so my friend, who was home alone at the time, secures the windows/doors, arms himself, then waits....thankfully, he did NOT go outside to 'look around", which I commended him on....no need to become vulnerable while outside your home....soon, his dog starts barking outside and then later police are around his house with dogs and ATV's....later he finds out that the two escapees took his kayak/canoe from behind his house and escaped down the river, then stole another car, only to be apprehended hours later.....all this happens in the dark.....so, my question is this, once the doors are locked, windows locked, you've cleared the house, you've hunkered down with protection, should you have the lights ON in the house, or OFF?.....what are the pro's and con's of each?....what is the standard protocol?....i can see advantages with both, but I want other's ideas on this, so as to develop a plan for him, myself, and others.

Thank you, in advance!

Ytailhtr
    Benjamin Franklin: “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.”

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If there really is a threat then lights off inside and everything on outside.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member
    Lights on for the outside/perimeter. Lights off inside. No need to advertise what's inside and you know your house layout better than anyone who might break-in.
    whoppo, Xader and Rock and Glock like this.

VIP Member
    Hmmm. Yeah, I can see upsides and downsides to each but I think I'd want as many lights on, both interior and exterior as possible. Since they have no way of knowing how many people are in the home, I think over-occupied would be a greater deterrent, plus if you've got good flood lights, have some opportunity to see any approach from whatever direction you choose. A totally dark home might lead them to believe that they can seek refuge within and I think your best bet would be to encourage them to look elsewhere.

Good job to your friend for keeping his head and not venturing outside. Leaving the safety of your dwelling would have no upside and also would put you in danger of being mistaken for a BG by the police.
    GoldwingElf likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Good question I really never thought about. If you have the lights out, the escapee might assume no ones home or are in bed and invite themselves in. With the lights on, you're at a disadvantage because them can see you or your shadow and you can't see well into the darkness.

Knowing for a fact there were two escapees very near my home, I know for a fact I would not be going to bed that night. Not owning a dog to alert me of something unusual going on outside... I believe I would get one or two glow stick lights out to keep me from tripping and bumping into things and be vigilant while well armed and on high alert.

I do have a police scanner that I would be monitoring.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

lights on outside inside lights off, monitoring police radio an on phone with police asking them to clear my home.

on outside off inside, especially in a home with a good number of windows or sliding glass doors, you don't want to backlight yourself, Make sure you have a good light I prefer ones seperate from my firearm but others will say a mounted option is better to each his own if you ask me, but it is worthy of note IMHO that you should avoid backlighting yourself

Distinguished Member
    A good question. I regularly leave lights on both inside and outside my home for security and so my 6 year old doesn't accidentally fall down the stairs if he happens to get up in the middle of the night (which happens more than I would prefer). If I knew a threat was in the immediate area, I would have my kids in the same room upstairs. I would have the dogs roaming the inside of the house, the alarm would be set and I would probably have lights on on the first floor and off on the second floor. My best defensive position is from the second floor balcony which provides me cover and limits access to one stairway.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'd turn on the outside lights and minimal inside lighting. I want my home to appear occupied vs unoccupied. If they want to break in, let them discover the hard way the home is occupied by an armed (to the teeth at that point) owner. As for the canoe, etc., It's easily replaceable. Not worth exposing one's self for it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

...never was much for hunkerin' down in the dark...

Its better to be in dark looking in to the light, than being in light looking in to the dark.
    DPMS AR-15
    Mossberg 835 Ulti-MAG
    M&P .40sw
    M&P Shield .40sw

There's gotta' be a little bit of light on inside, how else can you load ALL your mags?:roll eyes:

Most light off inside, perhaps just leave the TV on...dogs hear anyone around, and my coach gun welcoming committee sits in wait.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    I would have light on outside and minimum lights on inside
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Lights off in the home, to avoid being a silhouette in the light when viewed from the outside. Do that, and you can easily become a target. Here's where dim baseboard lighting can come in really handy. They can give just enough light to not bump into things, but not enough light to be seen by anyone from outside.

Ideally, lights/windows designed such that when they're lit someone from outside can't see through the light in the least little bit. That gives you an extreme tactical advantage in that you can see trouble approaching but you cannot be seen. (Not all lights/windows are arranged to do this well; many fail miserably.)

Overall, it sounds like your buddy did what I would do. Hunker down, remain indoors, be armed and ready. Ideally, I'd want to be the local eyes/ears that relayed info to the cavalry, as well, if indeed I saw/heard anything of note. But that last thing I'd do in such a situation would be to head outside and blow my advantages of a well-defended ensconced position with lighting and barriers on my side.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Plenty of speculation here, but my thoughts would be unarmed convicts looking to gain access to weapons/firearms/vehicles/etc. moreso than armed convicts looking for targets of opportunity. Their first priority would be to get out of the area, the reason they took the canoe rather than enter the house.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links