Home defense gun suggestion for a noob

This is a discussion on Home defense gun suggestion for a noob within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A good friend of mine is interested in buying a gun for home defense, as there's been an uprise of robberies in his neighborhood and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Home defense gun suggestion for a noob

Question Home defense gun suggestion for a noob

A good friend of mine is interested in buying a gun for home defense, as there's been an uprise of robberies in his neighborhood and his wife works at home, alone.

The kicker here is that they're both scared-to-death of guns and have zero experience with them.

My first thoughts are either a 20g shotty or a .38 Special revolver. I'm worried that the recoil of anything bigger will just scare them more.

Whay Say You?
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

2. Remove Ads

If they are afraid of guns they need to take classes and become comfortable with them before they they entrust their lives to one. Fear will cause hesitation, and hesitation can kill.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I agree... anyone that asks me about a first-time gun and it's strictly for home defense I say 20 gauge shotgun. No matter what gun someone gets they have to learn how to use it, though.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Senior Moderator
    Your choices are what I would make, a S&W Model 10 or Tarsus 82

Mossberg 500 in 20ga
    Brad426 and mano3 like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Sounds like they need to get some range time, as well as some instructions before they acquire anything.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Ditto on the 20ga shotguns.
    Nations crumble from within when the citizenry asks of government those things which it might better provide for itself... Man is not free unless government is limited... As government expands, liberty contracts.
    -Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Agree with all the advice given thus far..........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Nothing more I can add but in my opinion is if they are scared to death of guns that is when accidents happen. I would say a few times at the range or in some sort of class or both might help them get over the fear.
    mano3 likes this.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

I hope I can get them to our next citizens' firearms class. It's conducted by our local police department and they can get the chance to fire differrent weapons to see what they like or don't like.
    Hoganbeg and pgrass101 like this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Senior Moderator
    If not maybe we can round up a few central Alabama shooters and take them to the range
    mano3 likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    The kicker here is that they're both scared-to-death of guns and have zero experience with them.
    The anti-gunners are quick to suggest that having a gun at home dramatically raises the threat around the home. I strongly disagree with that sentiment, except for this case you mention. In a situation in which all adult users/owners of the gun are (a) utterly fearful and (b) utterly ignorant about safe and competent handling and usage, I'd say the anti's are correct in this case.

They need a decent introduction to basic firearms, safety and handling. They need some range time. They need to gain a little confidence about how to effectively leverage a deadly weapon to actually protect their own lives. Without that basic introduction, they might well be bringing an "adder into their home." If they're not careful, it's gonna bite hard.

I'd strongly suggest they do that first, if they're starting from less than zero (ie, from a terribly fearful position). That needs to be broken and replaced with a tolerable mindset, at minimum, else they might well be doing more harm than good.

As you mentioned in a thread last year, perhaps the Citizen's Firearms Class with the police department might be a good place to start. The link on their web site doesn't list this year's classes, if they're to be held at all. But back in 2010 the classes were held in April and May on Saturdays. Might be the perfect time to get introduced, for these friends of yours. Combined with the range portion of the class and possibly shooting with competent friends outside the class, they might get a good introduction to it all.

Have them pick up a copy of the Ayoob book In The Gravest Extreme, as well. It'll help get their heads wrapped around the issues involved, knowing what they're getting into before they go down this road. Being out in left field isn't going to help either of them, nor will shooting at "bumps in the night."
    mano3 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Home defense gun suggestion for a noob

Forget guns tell them to get a dog or move.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Forget guns tell them to get a dog or move.

I say get a shortie, take a class, AND get a dog...can't be too careful.
    A dependable canine is the best alarm one can have.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Wait! They live in the sticks in Alabama and are both fearful and ignorant of firearms? I thought 'Bama types were practically born with a gun in one hand and a rod & reel in t'other.

What, did their parents dilute the mix by taking a few undocumented trips to NY, CA, MA the year before their kids were born?
    MrsHB likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Your choices are what I would make, a S&W Model 10 or Tarsus 82

Mossberg 500 in 20ga
    +1 to this and take some calsses

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links