Please help with options

Please help with options

This is a discussion on Please help with options within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife and 3 girls (2 of them teens) are home the majority of the day - they each have their own bedrooms. Can you ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Taurahe

Thread: Please help with options

Please help with options

My wife and 3 girls (2 of them teens) are home the majority of the day - they each have their own bedrooms. Can you guys offer suggestions on how to set up my home? I'll explain what I am thinking and go from there. One story house - pretty wooded on 2 acres - no fences. We own a collie and sheltie that are in daughter's separate bedrooms w/ doors closed at night. We have a monitored alarm system.
    My main concerns are daytime/nighttime intruders and maybe a wild dog coming onto the property while kids are outside.

I have a gun safe in my nightstand. At bedtime, I unlock the safe, open the door and I have a 9mm that is chambered. It only has a decocker - no safety. I know I need access to it but I worry about it being unsecured - catch 22.

On the other end of the house, garage entry, 1 daughter's bedroom and laundry room. I thought about putting another gun safe in the laundry room w/ a 38 snub. This could be used as a 'safe' room. In front of the laundry room is a hall. I would install a locked handle on that door. They could go to the laundry room, lock the hall door. This gives them an escape through the garage or at least 1 locked door to the laundry room with the safe and a 38. There is a phone in there to dial 911. Also in the hall outside the laundry room is the keypad to push the panic button. I will only give the wife and 2 older ones the safe combo.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Teach everyone to use the 9mm effectively at close range, get a 20 ga shotgun, teach everyone to shoot it and put it in the laundry room. Reinforce the garage entry door at the hinges and make sure they are on the inside of the house, and reinforce the lockplate and jam. You may want replace your daughters bedroom door with a solid core door and reinforced as appropriate. Kick bars for the door knobs work wonders for when they are home also.

If you make a room a safe room, replace the door with a solid door, reinforced everything etc, Also, keep a spare cell phone in the safe room. You can not stop a cellphone signal, and they cane take it with them if they need to leave.

Also, an I dea I helped a friend with was motion lights wired into his security system placed in the woodline 60 yds from his house. The dogs dont go there and he doesnt get deer in his yrd so if it turns on the house alarm chimes and gives early warning. It actually worked, as he had three guys in his back yard with guns on slings... he adressed them from inside his house and made it clear he was armed and told them the cops had already been called. Turned out to be a couple of hunters who got turned around in the dark. He made them coffee and gave them a ride to their truck after the cops left lol, but it worked well.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Sponsored Links