Epanding First Response. Really?!?

This is a discussion on Epanding First Response. Really?!? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is about the dumbest thing that I have seen. This is what my local Government has come up with to make the children in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Epanding First Response. Really?!?

Question Epanding First Response. Really?!?

This is about the dumbest thing that I have seen. This is what my local Government has come up with to make the children in public schools "so much safer." Looks like a First Grader came up with this noble plan instead of a First Responder.

It's almost too embarassing to post and it would be hilarious if they were not so dead serious.

Editorial: Expanding 'first-responder' pool makes sense - The Herald Dispatch
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

Why are these "people" promoting training more first responders? Shouldn't we be working on more "first preventers" instead? As one of the commenters to this story said, first responders implies reacting after the fact. Providing and training more for prevention seems like a much better idea.

C'mon people, a little more common sense, please!
    JDE101 likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Well, I'm not quite so critical of the effort.

I do agree whole-heartedly, that increasing the number of medically trained first responders will not stop a gunman--the only thing that will do that is a well placed slug or two or fifteen.

HOWEVER, in the article the Doc was addressing much larger safety concerns than a shooting, such as Tornadoes, etc.

I mean, after all, the guy is a Doctor--his mind thinks in Doctor-terms, he speaks in "Doctor-speak", so its not surprising that his solution is to increase the number of medically trained first responders. I would say, bravo to him and other officials for trying to be forward thinking. Then, in the next breath, I'd want to know their plan for how to deal more effectively and stop an active-shooter.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I think you guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill. I did not see where he says that this is the end all for safety and did not suggest this in lieu of gun rights or laws. In fact he is making a lot of sense:
    But what if a tragedy does strike, whether it's a shooting, an explosion, or even a tornado?
    I don't see an issue at all. My wife was a nurse at a HS and she started a program to get the teachers and students CPR and First Aid. Mostly for the Firt Aid part.

And I did not take the article at all implying that one should react after the fact. He is saying IF something happens it would be nice to know that folks have some training.
    packinnova likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Re: Epanding First Response. Really?!?

If this is the case, call me the combat medic

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    In today's society there are private citizens that have the training and willing to aid others in time of a medical emergency but don't do so because we also have what is known as "ambulance chasers". Yes these attorney's thrive off of possible emergency medical aid errors committed by Good Samaritans. Will this be any different in our schools? This practice of sueing has created a be darned if you do and be darned if you don't attitude and most will avoid providing any assistance because of possible legal repercussions. How often have you witnessed people driving past a just happened car accident without even slowing down. Up until the late 1950's early 1960's the majority of motorist would have stopped to render aid but this all but ended when the attorney's, "Ambulance Chasers", made it into a thriving business to sue for anything and everything.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    In today's society there are private citizens that have the training and willing to aid others in time of a medical emergency but don't do so because we also have what is known as "ambulance chasers". Yes these attorney's thrive off of possible emergency medical aid errors committed by Good Samaritans. Will this be any different in our schools? This practice of sueing has created a be darned if you do and be darned if you don't attitude and most will avoid providing any assistance because of possible legal repercussions. How often have you witnessed people driving past a just happened car accident without even slowing down. Up until the late 1950's early 1960's the majority of motorist would have stopped to render aid but this all but ended when the attorney's, "Ambulance Chasers", made it into a thriving business to sue for anything and everything.
    I think that is only partly correct, or more precisly, just a part of the problem. I think it more has to do with a lack of wanting to get involved period. Nothing to do with lawsuits. We have become a nation of watchers and viewers. People just don't want to act. People don't get sued for pulling someone out of a burning car or stopping a rape. But we as a nation sit idly by hoping someone else will do it. A few years ago my wife and I came upon a Jeep that was flipped over. The dude was thrown into the road and his girlfriend was still in the jeep with her belt on and unconcsious. Vehicles were just going around the guy. I don't think they were afraid of being sued. I think the population is a bunch of self centered jerks. My 2 cents.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I agree about having trained people to handle the injuries of a catastrophe, but they mentioned a "shooting" scenario, something that can be prevented by having armed people IN the school, not responding to the aftermath of it.

We cannot stop a natural disaster, ie tornado, earthquake etc, and yes they should have a plan in place. I just think it's lame for them to mention the Sandy Hook disaster and say that we only need medical people there to help the injured. Wouldn't it make more sense to prevent the shooting in the first place? Just saying.

It is something, granted, but I still get the feeling they won't allow any armed teachers or others at schools.
    JDE101 likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I think that is only partly correct, or more precisly, just a part of the problem. I think it more has to do with a lack of wanting to get involved period. Nothing to do with lawsuits. We have become a nation of watchers and viewers. People just don't want to act. People don't get sued for pulling someone out of a burning car or stopping a rape. But we as a nation sit idly by hoping someone else will do it. A few years ago my wife and I came upon a Jeep that was flipped over. The dude was thrown into the road and his girlfriend was still in the jeep with her belt on and unconcsious. Vehicles were just going around the guy. I don't think they were afraid of being sued. I think the population is a bunch of self centered jerks. My 2 cents.
    This reminds me of something..

An abridged version of something I read somewhere:

There were 3 people: everybody, somebody, and nobody.
    There was a job that everybody was capable of doing. When this job needed to get done, everybody thought somebody would do it. In the end, nobody did it because everybody expected somebody to get the job done because everybody could. Everybody was responsible for it not getting done. Because the job never got done, everybody wanted to find somebody to blame. Eventually, somebody blamed everybody and now nobody wants to do the job that everybody is capable of doing.

This portion of the article struck me as odd.

That idea -- avoiding preventable deaths -- is why a major component of the training involves how school staffs can control bleeding, which contributes to a majority of preventable deaths from gunshot wounds.
    If you really want to prevent the deaths, stop it before they have received a bullet wound.

I am all for people being trained in first aid ect. But the concept is reactionary instead of being pro active in stopping the injuries in the first place.
    JDE101 likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    Yep... See previous thread on the nurse not performing CPR...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

NMB
    Having more people trained in medical first response is ALWAYS a good thing.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Not only do I NOT think it is funny, I agree with wholeheartedly.

It is never a bad idea to have more people trained in First Aid. I do not see anywhere in this article where it implies that this is, or should be, the answer to an active shooter scenario. What he is promoting is for more people to be trained in First Aid so that they can help in any situation where medical assistance is needed, but not available yet.

It is a start to a “new line of thinking” where we begin to think and act proactively rather than just sitting there waiting for help to arrive.

Of course, this is just the beginning. Maybe, if we are lucky, more and more people out there will begin to use this “new line of thought” and we will eventually get back to a point where we take care of ourselves rather than expecting the government to supply us everything through the entitlement programs that are bankrupting us. They might even begin to realize that preparing and training to protect yourself is a good thing – well maybe that is a bit much to expect from some.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I am not sure I see a problem with this idea. Educate people further about saving lives...how is that bad? Just because they aren't handing out firearms to teachers doesn't mean something is a bad idea.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Re: Epanding First Response. Really?!?

I agree great idea. Will it stop a shooting? NO (only a good guy with a gun does that) but there are a million other ways knowing first aid and cpr can save a life. I however thought it was a requirement for teachers to know first aid cpr (in michigan) maybe I was wrong.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links