CCW discovered by paramedic?

CCW discovered by paramedic?

This is a discussion on CCW discovered by paramedic? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Do we know of any stories where a CCW became unconscious in a public place due to health issues not arising from a self defense ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: CCW discovered by paramedic?

Thumbs down CCW discovered by paramedic?

Do we know of any stories where a CCW became unconscious in a public place due to health issues not arising from a self defense situation and paramedics treating the patient unexpectedly found that they were armed? What is protocol for paramedics in this situation?

This question has come up before. Since we have several paramedics on the board, I will let them explain. The upshot of it is that you are considering a non-issue.
    sdprof and Ghost1958 like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I know we have a few in the medical field here. I will ask my BIL next time I see him, although I am sure he rarely sees it in his area, or if they are it is not legal...
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

In our area, if you were in a motor vehicle accident or other setting where law enforcement is present, your gun would given to them for safekeeping. Otherwise, it would be given to hospital security at the hospital when you arrived to be put in the safe until your release. The other option would be to give it to a family member if they were at the scene.
    "Then He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money-bag should take it, and also a traveling bag. And whoever doesn't have a sword should sell his robe and buy one." Luke 22:36

Happens all the time. Most often they ask on scene LEO to secure it if there is on scene LEO. Otherwise it's secured and delivered to LEO or hospital security when they arrive at the hospital. If your in bad enough condition to need paramedics your concealed handgun should be the least of your worries. The vast majority of seasoned first responders have no issues with a concealed firearm.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

fairly common to happen, as said above usually just have LEO secure weapon and they will determin if you have a CWP later on or do a wallet check for it then. Ive had a friend of mine take a guy into the ER and he asked him to stop at the doors, called his GF over and pulled out his handgun and handed it to her b/c he didnt want to bring it into the ER and create a problem in there. No one even thought twice about it, actually told him smart move.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    My article in EMS World:

Pistol-Packin' Patients - EMSWorld.com
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Whomever finds it first yells DIBS and it's their gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Interesting. Glad you are providing this important information to emergency personnel.

I do want to say though that I personally have at least 3 law-abiding friends who carry their pistol in the waistband with absolutely no holster. I just wouldn't want emergency personnel to automatically assume that someone is a BG just because they don't use a holster.

Very interesting article, though. It really made me think. It's pretty scary to think of emergency personnel removing my firearm after just reading the cliff notes on how to do it. But hopefully they will take your advice and pursue further training. In the case of the guy handing the gun over to his significant other at the door of the emergency room: What if she doesn't have a CCW to even be walking from the door of the ER to the trunk? Tricky stuff.

But I'm truly thankful that emergency personnel do what they do!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My concern about "handing the gun over" to someone would be the legality. Does that "someone" have a permit, etc.?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Within my little world the EMS surrenders the weapon to the senior on scene investigating officer for safe keeping and it becomes part of the officers report.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My concern about "handing the gun over" to someone would be the legality. Does that "someone" have a permit, etc.?
    I don't believe that there would be any question on the legality of allowing an EMS worker or LEO to secure your firearm since at that point you're most likely not fully capable of maintaining care, custody, and control. Not saying you are a risk but in order to insure safety they would remove it from you and secure it until you are well enough to claim it or one of your representatives can.

Think along the lines of an unconscious person with a firearm, the EMS workers would secure it so that it doesn't mysteriously go away or be found by kids.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Does anyone know if the gun owner has to fill out a 4473 to get his firearm back or if there are problems for someone from out of state?

I have to visit a hospital out of state, and was wondering if there would be problems getting my handgun back from hospital security.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    I don't believe that there would be any question on the legality of allowing an EMS worker or LEO to secure your firearm since at that point you're most likely not fully capable of maintaining care, custody, and control. Not saying you are a risk but in order to insure safety they would remove it from you and secure it until you are well enough to claim it or one of your representatives can.

Think along the lines of an unconscious person with a firearm, the EMS workers would secure it so that it doesn't mysteriously go away or be found by kids.
    The question was meant more toward handing the gun over to another family member who may not have the required permit--depending on state law. It wasn't about the EMS or LEOs.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The question was meant more toward handing the gun over to another family member who may not have the required permit--depending on state law. It wasn't about the EMS or LEOs.
    Sorry bout that sir! Was one track minding on the EMS folks. As to handing it over to a family member or friend the best approach if they did not have a carry permit would be to secure it unloaded in a non accessible place (trunk if available or storage area in the rear of the vehicle) locked if possible which would then be safe transport of a firearm and not be considered concealed carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links