Home security/camera questions?

This is a discussion on Home security/camera questions? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I currently have a home security system and Iím looking to upgrade to some cameras. I donít really know much about the cameraís except that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Home security/camera questions?

I currently have a home security system and Iím looking to upgrade to some cameras. I donít really know much about the cameraís except that I donít want to pay $300 per camera. I would like to be able to view the cameras from my computer, tab, and phone away from home. I want to do both indoor and outdoor cameras. I know that depending that how many cameras I put in I will need a DVR with more channels to monitor them, I know that there is no getting around the cost of that. I think this would be a great ascent for around the house both when home and away, if I hear a bump in the night I donít have to go walking around the house to see whatís up, I can just turn on the TV and see whatís going on. Even more important than me doing it is my wife can when Iím working nights.

Does anyone have something like this set up, or know anything about them? I really would like to keep the cost down minimal, but know you get what your pay for at the same time.

check out Swann-Advanced Security they have a bunch of choices.
    splash401 likes this.
    DPMS AR-15
    Mossberg 835 Ulti-MAG
    M&P .40sw
    M&P Shield .40sw

Distinguished Member
    We have a number of IP cameras in and around the house. A combination of Foscam 8910's and 9821's... they work wired or wireless, can be viewed in realtime from inside and outside (with some router port-forwarding) and can send motion detection and/or sound detection alerts/pictures via FTP or email. They can be panned/tilted remotely and can even continuously scan back and forth. They suport full color daytime use and an IR night mode that works quite well. Both models support two-way audio. The outside cams are in waterproof dome enclosures.

The 8910's (640x480) are around $85 each and the 9821's (720p HD) are around $160 each. I paid $50 each for the outdoor enclosures on ebay.
    brocktice and PPKman like this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

I've thought about security cameras that you can look at online when you're away from home....but the thought of "someone" being able to look in on me and my family without my knowledge doesn't sit well. You know it will happen. People that work for security companies...are still PEOPLE. And just how wire taps have been authorized, I can see the government authorizing looking in your security cameras, too.
    NONAME762 likes this.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaiahM33 View Post
    I've thought about security cameras that you can look at online when you're away from home....but the thought of "someone" being able to look in on me and my family without my knowledge doesn't sit well. You know it will happen. People that work for security companies...are still PEOPLE. And just how wire taps have been authorized, I can see the government authorizing looking in your security cameras, too.
    Roll your own with IP cameras, configure them for obscure ports and user strong passwords :)
    brocktice likes this.
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

That doesn't negate the government telling the security company that they have a "good reason" to tap into your private security feed. No thank you.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

IP cameras aren't always monitored by security companies. Therefore, no one will know you have cameras.
    brocktice likes this.

So it's literally your own system?

Distinguished Member
    So it's literally your own system?
    Yep!

YOUR cameras. Using YOUR home network as a server. Setup, run, and monitored only by YOU.

Be sure to go for a system with local storage, not cloud storage, if you don't want your feed on someone else's servers.

Yep, my brother has one of the Swann systems. Last year, someone 2 houses down from him set their house on fire for attempted insurance fraud. The fire chief was talking to neighbors and asking if they saw anything. He noticed my brothers cameras and asked if he could see the footage. He said the quality was better than most cameras that he was used to seeing in stores.
    Last edited by mpbond; March 12th, 2013 at 12:53 PM. Reason: spelling

I have 2 foscams at home. If I was going to expand I would look at these airVision | Ubiquiti Networks, Inc..
    Glock Armorer

i should have been more clear, i am looking to do this on my own for that exact reason. Ive heard that you can run it through your home internet router and use password protection. So i think i would be comfortable and feel safe with doing it right, i dought anyone would really want to just look at us were preaty boring lol
    NONAME762 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    We have a number of IP cameras in and around the house. A combination of Foscam 8910's and 9821's... they work wired or wireless, can be viewed in realtime from inside and outside (with some router port-forwarding) and can send motion detection and/or sound detection alerts/pictures via FTP or email. They can be panned/tilted remotely and can even continuously scan back and forth. They suport full color daytime use and an IR night mode that works quite well. Both models support two-way audio. The outside cams are in waterproof dome enclosures.

The 8910's (640x480) are around $85 each and the 9821's (720p HD) are around $160 each. I paid $50 each for the outdoor enclosures on ebay.
    What is the life expectancy of these?? and have you noticed anything with them that wasnt expected?

I did open ports on my router so I can see the camera's. I'm also running some software at home that captures movement and stores the video / images. The software has a web page, which is also opened through my router. I recently ordered a new router, which supports a VPN connection. Once I receive and configure the router I probably will close the external ports and open them via VPN. Although I highly doubt someone might want to attemp brake into my camera's in the current configuration, a VPN will make that just about impossible.
    Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    Yep!

YOUR cameras. Using YOUR home network as a server. Setup, run, and monitored only by YOU.

Be sure to go for a system with local storage, not cloud storage, if you don't want your feed on someone else's servers.

Very interesting! Thank you for the lesson!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links