Another do not open your door death.

This is a discussion on Another do not open your door death. within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Colo. Corrections Dept. chief shot, killed at home DENVER (AP) The head of the Colorado Department of Corrections was shot and killed when he ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Another do not open your door death.

VIP Member

Another do not open your door death.

Colo. Corrections Dept. chief shot, killed at home

DENVER (AP) The head of the Colorado Department of Corrections was shot and killed when he answered the front door of his home, and police were searching for the gunman Wednesday.

Tom Clements was shot around 8:30 p.m. Tuesday at his home in Monument, north of Colorado Springs, said Lt. Jeff Kramer, of the El Paso County Sheriff's Office.

A family member called 911 to report the shooting and officers found 58-year-old Clements dead in his home, he said. Search dogs have been called in to comb through a wooded area around Clements' home, and authorities were going house to house trying to find out what neighbors heard and saw.
    EarthLink - U.S. News

I never open the door unless it is someone I know.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like he was targeted. OMO.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    Sounds like he was targeted. OMO.
    Agreed
    Rock and Glock likes this.

He was apparently a 30 year veteran of the Missouri penal system. Sad

MONUMENT, Colo. — The executive director of the Colorado Department of Corrections was shot and killed when he answered the front door of his house, and police are searching for the gunman and trying to figure out if the attack had anything to do with his position.

Authorities are also looking for a dark-colored "boxy" car seen near the house of Tom Clements, 58, when he was shot around 8:30 p.m. Tuesday in Monument, north of Colorado Springs. The vehicle's engine was running and a witness reported seeing one person driving away in the car.

Lt. Jeff Kramer, of the El Paso County Sheriff's Office, said investigators have not ruled anything out, but it could have been related to Clements' job.

"As the director of the Department of Corrections or any similar type position, it could in fact open someone up to be a target of a crime such as this. Although we remain sensitive to that, we also want to make sure that we remain open-minded to other possibilities as well," Kramer said.

Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper appointed Clements to the post in 2011 after he served for more than three decades in the Missouri Department of Corrections. He replaced Ari Zavaras, a former Denver police chief who led the department under two governors. The department operates 20 adult prisons and a juvenile detainment system.

Due to his line of work you would think that he of all people would always be in a heightened state of awarness, especialy when it comes to opening doors without asking " who is it?".

While Clements generally kept a low profile, his killing comes a week after Clements denied a Saudi national prisoner's request to be sent to his home country to serve out his sentence. Homaidan al-Turki was convicted of sexually assaulting a housekeeper and keeping her as a virtual slave. Clements said state law requires sex offenders to undergo treatment while in prison and that al-Turki had declined to participate.
    Hmmmmmmm...........
    surefire7 likes this.

To me, it is totally amazing that a man in his position did not have more SA!!! I've been more "aware" of my surroundings than that since I was a kid growing up in Gary, IN back in the 40s and 50s! I find it hard to believe a person in his position was not more cautious about opening to door!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Rather a paranoid way to live. A guy knocked on my door yesterday, open door with left hand, pistol in right. Pistol into back pocket when discovered it was local Jehovacite. Nice conversation, told him I don't want to be rude, but I'm not converting and unless you want to, you are wasting your time and mine. Turns out he lives down the road across from the crazy guy who I had to "convince" to stay off my side of the highway last year. News is the nut lost his house and is now gone away. The religious guy brought me good news, and he said he will put me on his Church's "do not call" list. The moral, is be nice, be neighborly, but BE PREPARED.
    You never know when I will show up at your door with a concealed .45, an empty pickup and a pocket full of cash, wanting to buy the junk in your yard.
    Snub44 likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

May he RIP.

I hope that all knocks by unknowns don't go unanswered. Just because the times it's legitimate go unposted and the times it's nefarious get the air time.

I agree that you need to use caution but a prime example happened a week ago here to a neighbor. He had someone banging on his door at 3:15 AM quite hard. First thought was home invasion but when he went to investigate it turned out to be a volunteer firefighter telling them their barn was on fire. Don't just ignore a knock but answer with caution.
    perfection likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I lose faith in mankind more and more each day...
    OD* and BigJon10125 like this.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by czechmate View Post
    Due to his line of work you would think that he of all people would always be in a heightened state of awarness, especialy when it comes to opening doors without asking " who is it?".
    True, however here's a guy that is the Chief. He's an administrator, not in the trenches and probably not thinking he's at high risk. The only other Prison Chief who has been murdered in the US was due to a street robbery with a knife. At least he went to the door and not his wife or daughter. And who knows if he was armed but caught short.
    USM1976 likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    ... was shot and killed when he answered the front door of his home ... around 8:30 p.m. Tuesday at his home ...
    A good warning to us all:

• Predators exist. To presume otherwise is folly.
    • Security doors can be worthwhile for helping to prevent forcible entry (though, one can be shot through them).
    • Having bright security lighting arranged such that the interior/resident cannot be easily seen until the visitor is identified can be worthwhile.
    • Being unarmed while answering the door to a stranger can be deadly. Doing so after dark, particularly so.

* Unknown if any/all of these elements existed at that guy's home.

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    Rather a paranoid way to live. A guy knocked on my door yesterday, open door with left hand, pistol in right.

The moral, is be nice, be neighborly, but BE PREPARED.
    Sounds like rational, reasonable circumspection and preparedness to me, particularly when it's little more obstrusive than having one's phone, keys and/or wallet in the pocket while in the house. Beats the blissninny approach, hands down.

Could easily be the difference between being capable of withstanding assault against oneself and one's family ... or otherwise.
    commonground likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

...case closed... http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/22...est=latestnews

...lesson: don't bring yer garbage down to Texas...we don't want it...we've got enough of our own...
    msgt/ret likes this.

...key word being "live"...

...my wife said let her know when you're coming...she'll take off work and bake brownies...she seems to think there's some junk in our garage that she'd LOVE to sell...

Quote Originally Posted by Arborigine View Post
    Rather a paranoid way to live. A guy knocked on my door yesterday, open door with left hand, pistol in right. Pistol into back pocket when discovered it was local Jehovacite. Nice conversation, told him I don't want to be rude, but I'm not converting and unless you want to, you are wasting your time and mine. Turns out he lives down the road across from the crazy guy who I had to "convince" to stay off my side of the highway last year. News is the nut lost his house and is now gone away. The religious guy brought me good news, and he said he will put me on his Church's "do not call" list. The moral, is be nice, be neighborly, but BE PREPARED.
    You never know when I will show up at your door with a concealed .45, an empty pickup and a pocket full of cash, wanting to buy the junk in your yard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links