Your home defense pistol

This is a discussion on Your home defense pistol within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Remington 870 and an ar in my basement, but during the night when I hear a bump,I grab my stock glock 23. ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Your home defense pistol

Your home defense pistol

I have a Remington 870 and an ar in my basement, but during the night when I hear a bump,I grab my stock glock 23. I guess I should modify it for home defense. For those that have a handgun for home defense, what do you have and what modifications, accessories, etc have you used to make it better to defend your home?
    Thank you, I'm fairly new and saint Louis is fairly dangerous, just want to protect my family to the best of my ability.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

2. Remove Ads

Forgot to mention we found our basement window like this the other day. I don't think we were home when it happened and it was probably deterred by my 90 pound protective American bully

Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by cltyus1 View Post
    Forgot to mention we found our basement window like this the other day. I don't think we were home when it happened and it was probably deterred by my 90 pound protective American bully

Hope you called the cops! They need to know there was an attempted break-in.

There's a handgun available on either side of the bed, a 1911 with night sights for me and a K-frame snub for Mrs. Smitty. A Surefire flashlight is next to the 1911. A step and a half away are an AR and an 870 if I think the situation warrants a heavier hand. Long before I've reached for anything metallic, some fraction of 5 dogs has already put up a fuss.

Simple is good. I think the only thing you lack is a light. If your G23 is based at home, you might consider attaching a weapon light, but you still need a separate flashlight. Clint Smith had a good article on using lights in the March/April American Handgunner - look for it.
    NavyAirdale likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    1st line of defense...120lbs Boxer/Lab. 2nd line...S&W M&P Full Size 9mm (needs some night sights).
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

wow thats crazy about the window. i have alarms on some of my windows. theyre cheap and you can get em at walmart or some where like that. peel off the sticky tape and put the two pieces on. some one opens or breaks it and it will go off and theyre loud! also have one for my door.. but for home defense i also use my glock 23 gen 3. keep it in my night stand and rem 870 in my closet, got a couple other handguns stashed around my house too. my glock 23 is stock but i wanto get night sights a mounted flashlight and a stainless steel recoil spring like i have for my 21 i love it.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    This is my dedicated home defense pistol:

Heckler & Koch USP Compact .40 S&W + Streamlight TLR-1 and stored inside a Gunvault Speedvault SVB500 safe attached to my nightstand.

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Looking at the pic I think id get the AR and shotty in the bedroom with me, be bad form to be outgunned by a BG with your own guns

Im kinda basic. Maglite and a 40 cal sw40ve stock no whistles lazers phazers or gun mounted lights. 40 is on me or right by my bed.
    It aint lonely at night though with the SKS the 12 ga and the Marlin 22 semi auto right beside it, all loaded chambered and suffer from insominia
    perfection and Taurahe like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I have an XD9 with x300 in the night stand. Then I have a 1911 and a M&P 9c within 3 steps of the bed. They are all loaded with a round in the chamber. I can grab any, or my wife can take one while I take another.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    G27 with night sights within 18 inches of me.

Quote Originally Posted by cltyus1 View Post
    For those that have a handgun for home defense, what do you have and what modifications, accessories, etc have you used to make it better to defend your home?
    Utter reliability is the first feature, but that's inherent and most definitely not an add-on. For myself, I'll adjust the sights and grips, possibly a magazine floor plate to assist in controllability/accuracy. And certainly a trigger/action job whose purpose is reliability enhancement is a good thing to consider. But my primary defensive weapon is one that's inherently effective to begin with.

My choice: CZ P-01 9mm, with brighter sights and grippier 18LPI ebony grips; and H&K P2000SK 9mm, without changes.

For general hardening: tougher doors/windows; alarm, monitored; cameras; tougher interior doors between critical areas (ie, guarding bedroom; guarding the "safe" room such as a basement); larger dog(s); plan that entire family is trained to execute under pressure).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Glock 20SF with TLR-1s in night stand and AR15 in gun safe.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    IMO you do not need to do anything if you have a Glock 23. I think that would handle most self defense situations in your home. I hear a lot on this forum that the most important thing is that your weapon goes bang when you pull the trigger and with a Glock you have a very reliable weapon.

Simple

I have 2 full size American Pit Bulls. I keep one in the back yard, one in the house. I have a video survailence cam on my back yard. For quick arms, I have a Hi-Point .45 with a lasar and 150 Lumen light. People always hate on the cheaper Hi-Points, but I've never had any issues with mine. I've had it for over 4 years and its always been dependable. I have shot over 5000 rounds thru it. My back-up last resort is the AK M10, its fully dressed and heavy as hell. lol

Starting tonight it will be the Colt 1911 and the Ruger 44 spl. Nothing else needed except the bleach and water to clean up whats left of the vermin after they cart him/them off to the ice box.
    Ghost1958, pgrass101, OD* and 1 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

My primary HD handgun is a Glock 21 SF RTF2 with Tru-Glow night sights and a tactical light. My primary home defense firearm is a 9mm AR SBR with a suppressor and Eotech.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links