For the children...

For the children...

This is a discussion on For the children... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; NRA is recommending armed resource officers and perhaps teachers and admins. Officially, their task force is making the recommendations to the NRA. The ACLU is ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Voice
  • 1 Post By Caertaker
  • 2 Post By bigmacque
  • 1 Post By foxytwo
  • 1 Post By lchamp

Thread: For the children...

For the children...

NRA is recommending armed resource officers and perhaps teachers and admins.

Officially, their task force is making the recommendations to the NRA.

The ACLU is opposed, indicating that students should trust their teachers, and that arming some educators is the antithesis of that trust... How? I'd love to know my teacher might be "the one" to protect us, if I were a child.

Anyway... Story here: http://m.npr.org/news/front/176024971?start=10
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    We used to have liaison officers in the schools. We used to have anti-drugs or drug awareness officers in our schools. These police officers weren't "armed guards", they had a community service mission in the school. The point is we had armed police in the school, it just wasn't perceived that way.

BTW, this is a fresh story, not about La Pierre's statement about good guys with guns.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

We need something to help.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    The ACLU is opposed, indicating that students should trust their teachers, and that arming some educators is the antithesis of that trust... How? I'd love to know my teacher might be "the one" to protect us, if I were a child.
    Frankly, it's hard to imagine how a teacher who's 150% dedicated to protecting children with his/her very life (if need be) could be untrusted, let alone feared.

I'm sure the children will get it, easily, once they actually see folks putting it all on the line for them. Right now, they're largely warped by the anti-gun hatred and fear running rampant. But it's hard not to respect someone who's willing to lay it on the line with everything they've got. Sure, I'm certain there'll be a few educators who blow their honor and use it to get "inside"; and, sure, I'm certain a few educators will have their weapons taken forcibly by some older kids in JHS/HS. But I can't see how it would be anything other than a huge gain and improvement over being utterly defenseless and incapable of resisting violence, as is the case now.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The ACLU is opposed, indicating that students should trust their teachers, and that arming some educators is the antithesis of that trust...
    By that logic, kids shouldn't trust the police officers who are called in when an attack happens.

If you can trust a teacher with your kids all day, there's nothing about that same teacher being armed that changes anything. Unless, of course, you only trusted that teacher because you personally verified that they are unarmed all day (in which case you didn't actually trust them in the first place.
    Nmuskier and sdprof like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I'm sure the children will get it, easily, once they actually see folks putting it all on the line for them. Right now, they're largely warped by the anti-gun hatred and fear running rampant.
    Perhaps that's what the antis fear most.
    surefire7 likes this.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Quote Originally Posted by Caertaker View Post
    Perhaps that's what the antis fear most.
    I think this is the real concern - that anti-gun messaging (i.e., "guns are the problem" - because many of those same people don't believe in good or evil or other faith-based concepts) would be extremely inconsistent with the ever present image of an armed protector to keep them safe. That would take the wind out of their sails, and before long people might want to learn more about firearms, might thing more highly of law enforcement, and might start believing in the concepts of honor, duty, and accountability - things that are sadly missing in today's society.

Worse yet, the highly motivated anti-gun crowd is completely willing to sacrifice innocent children to "prove their point." Look at how Feinstein and the others had gun control legislation waiting for the next terrible event so they could stand on their soapbox and promote their agenda. Wouldn't it have been far more effective to look at things like consistent punishment of criminals, mandatory minimum sentences for things like violent crime and gun crimes, and providing focus on urban violence (drug and gang related) where the majority of young lives are really lost?

Hmmm, let's see... We can do something that is truly effective and doesn't violate our oath to protect the constitution, although it unfortunately doesn't align with our personal biases and agenda. Or, we can do nothing, wait for bad things to happen, and then promote legislation that will not be effective but in 10-20 years or less will result in something we want - the elimination of firearms ownership by private individuals. That type of behavior is not only elitist, it is also completely immoral.

One , we have armed RO's at schools and have for a long time. Second, the kids are very glad they are there. Turn my granddaughter lose on them, she's become (on her own with no prompting from anyone) a proponent of teachers being armed at schools as well. She 'trusts' that they would help protect students if the need arose. She also knows, some of them in the past were in the Hwy patrol and police officers.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

The ACLU is opposed, indicating that students should trust their teachers
    I think the biggest take-away from this comment is that they are telling people that anyone with a firearm is untrustworthy.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    No teacher, para-professional, janitor, administrator et. al. that is uncomfortable carrying or incapable of carrying and pulling the trigger if necessary should be carrying a gun.

However, in every single school in America there are at least a few people that could do it and do it well, and responsibly. And those people should be relied on to help the rest of the people in that school formulate a specific, custom, plan for that school that protects students and allows those that can and will defend others to provide protection and defense.

This is common sense, unlike the rest of the 'common sense' we're hearing about gun laws.

I would bet you money that in the 1800's in one-room schoolhouses all across America there were a few kids and teachers that had a firearm available to them, that were ready and capable of defending their classmates and school ma'arms.
    ccw9mm and perfection like this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    What the antis can't process is that more guns are the answer. When states began expanding cc laws, they said, "there will be blood in the streets!" When states allowed cc in bars, they said, "it will be like the old west!"

Well, the "Old West" had gun control (marginally), usually in the most violent cities, and only the criminals hid and kept their guns. Sound like any cities today?

What would happen if instead of a culture of sheep hiding from the wolf, protected by one sheepdog, the entire flock were sheepdogs, and there were no more sheep? Where would the wolves hunt then?

There are some cities in America that have police in schools that are thinking of pulling them out of the schools, like Portland, Or. to save money.They are claiming budget problems and are going to pull the things that effect the citizens the most. Typical mindset to a liberal.
    PatAz likes this.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    If any teacher in CT had been armed, children could have been saved.
    bigmacque likes this.

Do the kids trust their teacher to park that big SUV between the stripes instead of ramming it through the doors and down the hall? "Ony a nut would do that!" Exactly.
    "In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.....those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."
    -Clint Eastwood "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly"

Links