True story

This is a discussion on True story within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A few days ago our homeowners association sent an e-mail alerting residents that several homes had been burglarized and that the perpetrators had run off ...

Like Tree28Likes
  • 15 Post By KyBill
  • 4 Post By OldVet
  • 9 Post By glockman10mm

Thread: True story

True story

A few days ago our homeowners association sent an e-mail alerting residents that several homes had been burglarized and that the perpetrators had run off through some backyards dropping their loot until being apprehended by the police elsewhere in the neighborhood. OK, sounded like all worked out.

Today my wife finds a 2" packet of gift cards, airline flyer ID cards, credit cards in our yard with different names. Speaking to the neighbor behind us she realizes its from the robbery so she turns it in to the police. How was she certain? Well apparently our neighbor was outside when he saw an armed man ( another neighbor) chasing the thief through our yard then down the road, cell phone in one hand speaking to the police and gun in his other hand as he's chasing down the bad guy.

Luckily no one was hurt, so I asked the wife did the police arrest them both? She says why? I said well I'm pretty sure once they left his house and ran off with his property he lost the right to pursue with gun in hand. Honey, she said, this is Kentucky. The police were glad to have help catching the bad guy. They felt the neighbor did a good job.

Gotta love it.

2. Remove Ads

Yes sir. I was born and raised in Ky. Thought about moving a couple of times but darn glad I didnt.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I cringed as soon as I read "home owners association (HOA)" - talk about commies (speaking from experience).

Glad the law abiding citizens weren't harmed. Please let this be a reminder to keep your SA up and stay armed at home (yes, even during daylight hours) so you can protect your family.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

The police may have been glad, but had he been forced to shoot the guy he would very likely end up in the same boat as that guy in Florida. Glad it worked out for him.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

...depends on how KY law's written...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A FL HOA would have sent out notices that firearms were restricted to DB shotguns and only warning shots were allowed. And, by the way, that American flag in the front yard is unauthorized.

There's no way I'd live in an area with an HOA here.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Many states have "citizens arrest" laws that dictate what a citizen may or may not do in these cases. It would be good to know your state laws before engaging in one, particularly the rules of force.

For instance, in SC you can use up to deadly force to stop a felony at night (not limited to your home).

In Kentucky, it depends on the initial report after investigation. If it were my investigation it would go something like this;

Armed thief shot, DOA. Stolen goods returned. Clear act of self defense. No further inquiry.

Report Filed.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

This is very important and I bring it up as often as possible.

Q: How do you know when a retreat it genuine versus tactical?

A: You do not. Not until you are again in mortal danger and hopefully still in a position to defend yourself.

Just because the bad guy runs off, do not assume it is over. This does not mean chase them. It means assess the situation and environment. Do not let your guard down. Is there a way for the bad guy to circle back behind you, to your flank, wait in hiding if you must follow the same path?

Perhaps pursue until you have forced the bad guy out of any areas where turning back against you would be generally feasible.

In this story, the bad guy could have run past a house, then around it, or even perhaps back to the bushes at your house and waited for your return.

Retreats are dangerous events for all involved.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    "Honey, this is Kentucky."

Love it.
    Hakkaa päälle!

This would not have gone so well in my City for the guy with the gun. *Which is why we are getting the heck out in the next few years.

Links