Poet Maya Angelou Blasts Gun at Home Intruder

This is a discussion on Poet Maya Angelou Blasts Gun at Home Intruder within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Interesting how one of the "darlings" and unoffical Poet of this administration can state this and not get "knocked around" by the the MSM. She ...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By Spirit51
  • 4 Post By gasmitty
  • 2 Post By RoadRunner71
  • 1 Post By NH_Esau
  • 2 Post By Jeanlouise
  • 2 Post By oldnfat

Thread: Poet Maya Angelou Blasts Gun at Home Intruder

Interesting how one of the "darlings" and unoffical Poet of this administration can state this and not get "knocked around" by the the MSM. She showed no responsibility in her actions with a weapon, but no one points THIS out. She also lied to Law Enforcement doing a investigation.

She had every right to protect herself from criminals (Like all of us), but it is that kind of reckless behavior that taints the subject of self defense and protection. If she had been Republican/Conservative, this (and gun rights in general) would have been attacked
    all over the MSM and present W.H. administration. I guess it is true. "It's not WHAT you know, but WHO you know."

Obama supporter and famous poet Maya Angelou was asked by Time Magazine if she had ever fired a gun in her life.

Her answer was surprising — “Of course!” Angelou then recounted a time in which she fired upon a home intruder.

TRANSCRIPT:

TIME: Your mother — she was your protector. She often carried a gun, she seemed to be very fond of guns. Did you inherit your mother’s fondness for guns?

MAYA ANGELOU: Well, I do like to have guns around, I don’t like to carry them. But I like -- if somebody is going to come into my house and I have not put out the welcome mat, I want to stop them.

TIME: Have you ever fired a weapon?

ANGELOU: Of course!

TIME: At a person?

ANGELOU: I’ve fired it period, not at a person I hope!

I was in my house in North Carolina. It was fall. I heard someone walking on the leaves. And somebody actually turned the knob. So I said, "Stand four feet back because I'm going to shoot now!" Boom! Boom! The police came by and said, "Ms. Angelou, the shots came from inside the house." I said, "Well, I don't know how that happened."

Source: TIME's 10 Questions for Maya Angelou
    Last edited by Spirit51; April 3rd, 2013 at 01:34 PM.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

The same media "pass" was granted to Carl Rowan, a fervent anti-gunner who illegally possessed a gun in DC and shot a kid with it. His utter hypocrisy never made front page news, but his anti-gun posture sure did.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Double standards...

This surprises you?
    ep1953 and surefire7 like this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Double standards...

This surprises you?
    It don't surprise me one lil bit.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

I don't get the problem. Her defensive gun use techniques are exactly what the VP said we should do.
    Jeanlouise likes this.

typical...along with the misinformation regularly supplied like pablum.

Isn't is just amazing how the libtards who are anti-gun for us "poor common folk" grant a "pass" to their darling supporters, and also have guns or armed guards to protect themselves? Can any one say "double standard"????? Does anyone remember when that "great" (sarcasm) senator Ted Kennedy's bodyguard got busted trying to enter the senate office building with an UZI? Teddy, the anti-gun advocate, only wanted us common people unarmed -- but he wanted his bodyguard to be heavily armed! Oh, and by the way, his CAR killed more people than all of my guns!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Is this where Joe Biden's "shoot them through the door with two blasts from a double-barelled shotgun" advice comes from?

pathetic.. shes a liar, and a dangerous individual with actions such as that.. this would have been UNACCEPTABLE back in the "old America" ...

VIP Member
    Libs never fail to amaze me.

Did she write a poem about this?
    ep1953 and blitzburgh like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Why didn't she just read them a poem to soothe the savagery in her attacker? That would have been much nicer and more politically correct.

Ya think?
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member
    If she had written a poem, perhaps it might have gone like this: Outside my door he rang no bell, but feet did trod where leaves had fell, so I fired two bullets thru yon door, and the crunch of leaves was heard no more. Hey, I'm a poet and didn't know it.
    Jeanlouise and Spirit51 like this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    If she had written a poem, perhaps it might have gone like this: Outside my door he rang no bell, but feet did trod where leaves had fell, so I fired two bullets thru yon door, and the crunch of leaves was heard no more. Hey, I'm a poet and didn't know it.
    That was inspirational! You sir, are a poet. I see a Nobel prize in your future.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    I don't get the problem. Her defensive gun use techniques are exactly what the VP said we should do.
    NO! NO! NO! It was two blasts with the twelve gage from the balcony!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post

But your feet show it....their Long Fellows.

Sorry....just couldn't resist finishing it.

BTW....good poem.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Links