Woman Caught Lifting Baby Out of Crib

This is a discussion on Woman Caught Lifting Baby Out of Crib within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This happened a few nights ago locally. An 8 year old heard breaking glass and the parents heard someone in their 1 year old's room ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Woman Caught Lifting Baby Out of Crib

Woman Caught Lifting Baby Out of Crib

This happened a few nights ago locally. An 8 year old heard breaking glass and the parents heard someone in their 1 year old's room on the baby monitor. When they went into the baby's room they found a woman lifting the baby from the crib - blood on the baby from where the woman cut herself breaking the window.
    http://www.theledger.com/article/201...9840?p=1&tc=pg

The part I keep stumbling on is (the homeowners apparently weren't armed) the father threw the woman out of the house and called 911. It's not in this article, but according to the media release the sheriff's office emailed out, the woman stated "it's not what you think" and pleaded with him not to throw her out saying "he's going to kill me" (Detectives believe she was referring to a male suspect who was outside the house.) Even unarmed, I'm not sure I would have thrown her out, especially when that's not where she wants to be. (I'm think if she's begging to stay in she's not fighting me). There would have been a better chance to catch them both. I would have been worried she'd escape, and although they caught her in the neighborhood, the male accomplice did escape. What immed came to my mind was get the spouse to get the kids out of the room while calling 911, although I guess it's instinctual to remove the threat from your family if possible.

I keep going back to the story in my mind though, with a few thoughts running through my mind... The sound was apparently first heard by the older child. I'm sure at least 3, if not all of mine, if hearing something in the night that woke them would COME to me, not yell out to me or stay in their room. We have dogs that would bark to raise the dead but they are not left loose at night. Those of you with children, do you run through what ifs with them? I don't want to give them things to have nightmares over that most people never actually encounter, but also don't want them potentially stumbling into a bad guy. Also, I know when we've heard an 'off' noise that caught our attention and we wanted to check it out, my husband's response is to immediately go check it out, while my initial response is to first go to the safe and grab a handgun, then go to him. My kids are all down the same hallway, would we be better served if I went to their hallway, to be in a position to protect them or to go to my (unarmed) husband?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I would not have throw her out. I'd have thrown her to the floor--with prejudice! Then . . . game on.
    sixgun, mano3, atctimmy and 6 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    In this day and age, everyone should have an alarm system...it's your first line of defense. When it goes off, you know there's a problem! What if they had gotten in the window without breaking the glass? They may have woken up in the morning to find their baby gone. Horrible thought.

I would have grabbed my baby and 8 year old and run into my bedroom, locked the door and called 911. Then I would have gotten my gun, pointed it at the bedroom door and pulled the trigger if anyone tried to open the door.
    marcclarke, DVido, ep1953 and 6 others like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    [QUOTE=Jeanlouise;2687033]In this day and age, everyone should have an alarm system...it's your first line of defense. When it goes off, you know there's a problem! What if they had gotten in the window without breaking the glass? They may have woken up in the morning to find their baby gone. Horrible thought.

I would have grabbed my baby and 8 year old and run into my bedroom, locked the door and called 911. Then I would have gotten my gun, pointed it at the bedroom door and pulled the trigger if anyone tried to open the door.[/QUOTE]

Did you leave dear old dad out there? Maybe he wants in!
    Lish, Ghost1958 and MasterGadgets like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

If the parents heard somebody in the room on the baby monitor,why didn't they hear the breaking glass on the monitor.Another good reason to be armed.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My sensors would have alerted me not only that she was walking around the house but each area she passed by and she would have never made it to the crib. And if I'd caught her coming through the broken window into the babies room. Guess what would have happened?

I sure would not barracade with the baby. Sheetrock walls and you are just a fish in a barrel. Take care of the threat while you are looking at the threat. Burglar alarm services, 911, video cameras do absolutely nothing to protect you. Driveway and motion sensors alert you of every movement on your property. Excellent how they had a baby monitor.

Sorry this story just sent chills and anger down my spine.... Steal my baby and you might as well be killing my family.
    sixgun and gallardo.g23 like this.

VIP Member
    [QUOTE=OldVet;2687038]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    In this day and age, everyone should have an alarm system...it's your first line of defense. When it goes off, you know there's a problem! What if they had gotten in the window without breaking the glass? They may have woken up in the morning to find their baby gone. Horrible thought.

I would have grabbed my baby and 8 year old and run into my bedroom, locked the door and called 911. Then I would have gotten my gun, pointed it at the bedroom door and pulled the trigger if anyone tried to open the door.[/QUOTE]

Did you leave dear old dad out there? Maybe he wants in!
    ...well, only if he asks nicely.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    If the parents heard somebody in the room on the baby monitor,why didn't they hear the breaking glass on the monitor.Another good reason to be armed.
    The broken window was in the living room, the woman then went into the baby's room...

VIP Member
    I hate to say, she may have been put down, like a mangy dog in the street, and then it would have been off to hunt the scum who brought her to my home.
    You crossed the line when you stood outside of my window just prior to breaking it.

Probably meth headed tweakers who were going to sell the baby.
    Most likely saw the baby with the family out and about and cooked up this plan.
    fredg53 likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I would have thrown 180 grns of copper jacketed lead at her.... regardless of man woman or beast.... you mess with my family in any fashion... its shoot first and ask later. A strange woman, standing over my baby, in my house, covered in blood, ....... i really dont care what her story is, I will assume she is a threat and drop her where she stands. Just because she is a woman does not make her less capable of a heinous crime. In fact, most heinous crimes involving children are committed by women. So like I said...... 180 grns of copper covered lead.
    sixgun, perfection and Nate40 like this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    ..... they found a woman lifting the baby from the crib .........
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I would not have throw her out. I'd have thrown her to the floor--with prejudice! Then . . . game on.
    X2. Lifting the baby from the crib means 911 wouldn't have been called until the threat was no longer moving. Not the ideal circumstances for a shot, so throwing her to the floor would be high up on my list of actions.

That woman would have only left MY home in a vertical position...
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Castle law doctrine in affect here. Bad enough you break into the house but touch my kid. No way...not a cold day in H E double hockey sticks. You ain't getting out. Then call 911 afterwards.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

I had 2 dogs that took the baby really fast.... they planted themselves under the crib at all times except to eat or go outside. They watched us closely when we had the baby. We felt like we were being "supervised". If someone other than us approached the crib, they made it well known.... they weren't going to get any closer than 8 ft away. We were the only one's allowed to get the baby out of the crib. Gooooood dogs.

Even now, 2 of my grandkids (that have lived with me for a long time, and even though they are teenagers......) 1 dog watches after her, 1 dog watches after him, and the other watches after me.... and is the alpha dog, so she watches over the others too. If she sounds an alert, the other 2 are ready to go at her command. Not kidding. It's something else to watch. If I tell her a command and she goes... the other two will protect her, or help her get whatever is I sent her after.

If no dog. And they had my baby in her hands.... after I took the baby from them, they would be prone on the floor while waiting for the police.... man , woman, I would NOT care. A kidnapper, is a kidnapper. My experience, women can be a lot more violent than men, and as equal or even more dangerous.

Near Kansas City, a woman went up to meet a woman under the idea of buying one of her puppies. She stabbed her to death and stole her baby.
    perfection likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Wow. This is really scary.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links