Man Facing Charges After Killing Bear In His Backyard

This is a discussion on Man Facing Charges After Killing Bear In His Backyard within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I elected to put this here because it is defense of self at home. Does it matter how many legs the "suspect" has? Auburn Man ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Man Facing Charges After Killing Bear In His Backyard

Man Facing Charges After Killing Bear In His Backyard

I elected to put this here because it is defense of self at home. Does it matter how many legs the "suspect" has?

Auburn Man Facing Charges After Killing Bear In His Backyard « CBS Boston

If this case is as the man says (and the bear ain't talking)....he was defending himself at home. How can they hold him to a legal charge when he felt his life was in danger??
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    I elected to put this here because it is defense of self at home. Does it matter how many legs the "suspect" has?

Auburn Man Facing Charges After Killing Bear In His Backyard « CBS Boston

If this case is as the man says (and the bear ain't talking)....he was defending himself at home. How can they hold him to a legal charge when he felt his life was in danger??
    It's Massachusetts one of the most restrictive states when it comes to guns and self defense
    ArmyCop and RichB70 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Well he apparently mistook uncle joes message. He was supposed to just fire two shots in the air...
    msgt/ret, mano3 and bigmacque like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

How can they hold him to a legal charge when he felt his life was in danger??
    Because its a cuddly bear, not a human. I feel for the old guy....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Gentleman stated the bear was chasing him. Police the they felt the man was in no danger and he was charged with baiting the bear. Innocent until proven guilty only applies to criminals. So who can prove what.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Story says: "Ahlstrand is now charged with illegally killing a bear, illegally baiting a bear, illegal possession of a firearm and failing to secure a weapon."

He stated that he was putting out bird seed, and though that might be true it might also be that he was
    doing what he was charged with-- baiting.

Then, I've no idea what the illegal possession of a firearm means in the context of this story.
    Was he armed with something besides the shotgun? I doubt that even MA makes it illegal
    to possess a shotgun, unless its a city thing. That Worcester-Aurburn area is fairly urban, surprisingly
    so. If I knew where this happened, in or out of the city limits and more about the man, I'd have
    a better sense of whether or not he has been righteously charged.

OTOH, had he dialed 911 the LEs would have come and shot the bear anyway, as it was menacing
    a populated area. Maybe they might have been merciful and gotten a game dude with tranquilizer
    darts out there, but whose kidding who. That bear was probably a gonna.

My gut says "baiting" was the real issue, but I wasn't there.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Curious why it was illegal for him to possess a firearm? And what the hell is "failure to secure a weapon"?
    While black bears are generally pretty docile, they have been known to attack people under certain circumstances. With no witnesses, I don't see how they can't take his word for it. Unless he has a track record of poaching or something???

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boudin View Post
    Curious why it was illegal for him to possess a firearm? And what the hell is "failure to secure a weapon"?
    While black bears are generally pretty docile, they have been known to attack people under certain circumstances. With no witnesses, I don't see how they can't take his word for it. Unless he has a track record of poaching or something???
    It sounds like this may have occurred in city limits and perhaps the city has a law on shotguns. It is
    MA after all.

As to not taking his word, he opened his big mouth and told them he was putting out bird seed,
    and at the same time carrying a shot-gun. It could have been an innocent deal, but it
    sounds like baiting is also a real possibility.

The LEs who investigated probably have good
    reason to think the charges will hold.

There's more to this story than what was in that
    newspaper story IMO.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

a few questions....... who fills a bird feeder at night ? ...... did he report his sighting to the fish and game or LEO since he obviously feared it enough to carry a shotgun?..... not saying he was in the wrong but I would like more info. as far as baiting goes, that is really stretching it, the unsecured weapon charge is crap, and I want to know where they get the illegal possession of a weapon? guess ill never move to MA..... Sounds like they are trying to make a whipping boy out of him.
    IBGoodToGo likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Perhaps the old guy's story doesn't match evidence at the scene?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sign said "these honey buns are for birds. Any bear caught eating them will be shot on site".
    BugDude and DVido like this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    a few questions....... who fills a bird feeder at night ? ...... did he report his sighting to the fish and game or LEO since he obviously feared it enough to carry a shotgun?..... not saying he was in the wrong but I would like more info. as far as baiting goes, that is really stretching it, the unsecured weapon charge is crap, and I want to know where they get the illegal possession of a weapon? guess ill never move to MA..... Sounds like they are trying to make a whipping boy out of him.
    Without more info there is no way to tell. He could have illegally possessed a handgun at the time he
    was out feeding the birds. I don't know about MA, but you can't take a handgun out of your house
    in CT unless you have a license in your possession. We also have no idea what his record actually is. He
    could conceivably have a felony record the news story didn't touch on. There are lots of possibilities.
    And of course he might have been violating some city possession law-- I've no clue if MA allows the cities
    to have their own rules.
    Andrew Jackson

If I had noticed a Bear (especially a female with cubs) hanging around my property I would have called somebody.
    I do feel for the guy, but.....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    If I had noticed a Bear (especially a female with cubs) hanging around my property I would have called somebody.
    I do feel for the guy, but.....
    The cubs are especially tender with a little marinating sauce and slow grill.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Facing charges because he stopped a ~400 pound bear from mauling him. Hm. He was on his own property, so it doesn't seem rational that "failing to secure a weapon" could be a charge. Illegal possession seems silly, but then the ordinances/laws in some states are truly asinine.

Apparently, they'd have preferred he got mauled/killed in his own yard. Basically, that's what leveling charges at him is saying.

Let me guess: in his state, there's no constitutional right to arms in defense of oneself.

Good reason the 2A exists, to avoid all this stupidity.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links