Motion activated lights

Motion activated lights

This is a discussion on Motion activated lights within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have em all around the house outside and feel a lot more secure with the idea of decreased liability as I provide proper lighting ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Motion activated lights

Motion activated lights

I have em all around the house outside and feel a lot more secure with the idea of decreased liability as I provide proper lighting for the BG to safely run away.

Anyone besides me use em inside the house? I have several located at strategic junctions in my home so that if I hear a noise I can locate the intruder.
    I also like the idea of the BG standing in the lighted hallway with no night vision as I sit in the darkness and have a nice sight picture.

Anyone have any comments as to the "pros and cons" of this ?

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

I have exterior motion sensing lights, but have never considered putting any inside. Hmmmmmm. Something to think about.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Cons for me would be the dog setting them off.
    goldshellback likes this.

Motion activated tranquilizer darts?

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    The ones I have go in place of the wall switch so they are pretty high. My dogs don't set them off.
    HardBall likes this.

"MOLON LABE"
    "come and take them"
    King Leonidas of Sparta

VIP Member
    These indoor motion activated lights are fairly inexpensive, so no harm in buying a couple
    and experimenting.

There is a safety factor for just everyday getting around the house stuff after lights out. No groping
    around for the wall switch or stumbling over the kids toys.

I've switched from leaving lights on to using night lights-- a bunch of the led type. They don't provide
    much light but do put out enough to avoid falls. I think they are low light enough that a flashlight-strobe
    would still do quite a number on an intruder.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I have sensors on the outside of my house to trigger inside lights. Let me explain....most folks are used to the porch or floodlights coming on when they detect motion. When someone gets into our driveway or yard about 5 feet we have one or two inside lights turn on. The idea is the BG now knows someone is awake and might really think twice about coming in.

This is set up for every side of our property at different lengths. Our back yard will trigger one light and if they continue closer more lights will turn on.

In NH we had a much more elaborate system.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

A very bright 'flash' inside our home is all the light that will be needed."hand9:
    AR15VSCoyote and Ghost1958 like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Never used them as a security measure as much as normal convenience... Ie Just having the lights on when you walkin. Actual utility would vary wildly based on your layout.

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    We have motion-sensor lights by our wood pile. Whenever it's dark and my son's great dane goes out, he likes to run over to the lights to make them turn on.

VIP Member
    I have them around my house; also it's a good idea to walk around the house occasionally at night to see how they are working.

My daughter and SIL moved in a new house a few years ago, they also installed a 4 camera system on key parts of the exterior. Shortly after they moved in I helped my SIL install motion lights around his house. Late one night their neighborhood got a serious probe from outsiders looking for whatever they could steal that wasn't tied down. The next day, when the word got out about the probe/thefts, my SIL checked the HD for his cameras activity and sure enough there are two dudes at about 2 am walking up his driveway toward his house. When they got close the motion light came on and lit them up, they both clearly did a 180 and left on to, I guess, softer/easier targets.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Lead Moderator
    Outdoor motion sensors lights, indoor the motion sensor has 4 paws and teeth.
    elmacgyver0 likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Just installed some LED 20 WATT motion sensors from Costco. The dog will set them off but thats ok because you can set the time and sensitivty of the units. They are really bright. Only 20 WATTs. I like to see whats up with the dog anyway. But I still need to mess with the settings. Amazon.com: Lithonia LED Outdoor Security Floodlight with Dusk to Dawn Light Sensor, Motion Activated Perimeter Protection, White: Patio, Lawn & Garden

They had them on sale at costco but have not seen them again.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    I use motion activated lights exterior AND this... Amazon.com: Voice Alert System 6: Camera & Photo

I use the voice alert to cover possible access points (inside) my home.
    In the outdoor setting animals, birds etc set them off.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Every motion dectector I've had had failed within a year. The sun here seems to eat them up. For inside, they do have plug in nitelights with motion detectors. Not real bright, but certainly enough to illuminate a BG.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links