Quirky Appliance & HVAC Noises

This is a discussion on Quirky Appliance & HVAC Noises within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I live in a ranch (single-story) house and my bedroom is right near the kitchen and the HVAC system is in the attic right above ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By NC Bullseye

Thread: Quirky Appliance & HVAC Noises

I live in a ranch (single-story) house and my bedroom is right near the kitchen and the HVAC system is in the attic right above my bedroom. The fridge likes to periodically make a "creaky" noise almost like it's making ice but I have the ice-maker off (because it doesn't work well). The annoying part is that it's slightly unpredictable in rhythm and frequency and has thrown me off a few times. Then the HVAC system has its own set of quirky noises and sometimes the two in concert sound like someone trying to creep around.

My brother lives with me but he works third shift so it's often me home alone during the wee hours of the night. I'm a night person so I'm usually up late anyhow but I don't like having music or other distractions on too loud in case something were to happen. I will not lie, there are times I have taken the M9 in hand with just my under-roos on to check things out (of course all was clear).

Now don't get me wrong, I live in a fairly good neighborhood and have no real reason to be paranoid. I also have some fairly sturdy doors (and a storm door) so if they did manage to kick them in, I'd sure as hell hear it without a doubt as to what happened. I suppose I have a slight fear of sleeping through it happening or waking up too late to handle the threat since I live in a single-story house and my room is only a few tens of feet away from the front door. Granted, the floor plan allows for a lot of visibility and my room has a nice L-shaped hallway to it giving me a nice bottleneck to guard.

Anyhow, the point of this long-winded post was to see if I wasn't the only one crazy in my own home at night.

You're crazy. We all are. That's the catch. Catch-22. Welcome.

Get a dog or two. Blame the noises on them.

Two center of mass to the fridge.

That should make the HVAC think twice before making anymore uncalled for sounds.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Aside from all the nutty answers where is it written the icebox has to be in the kitchen??? Is the icebox fairly new or ancient like I am? Ever thought about getting a new icebox? Perhaps the HVAC makes weird noises because some part is about to go kaflooey? Perhaps a service call is in order.

I live in a ranch style house too. My house is 42 years old. My house makes some weird noises too. Sometimes the weird noises get the best of me. When that happens the 12G comes out and lounges next to me. Usually within 10 hours or less the weirdness takes a holiday and I relax and Mr 12G goes back into his house with his brothers.

And once again all is well in Danville.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Since we moved a few months ago, I have caught myself double checking a thing or two.

Luckily all the fridges and freezer are way on the other side of the house from our bedroom, so I don't hear those noises. I sleep with the tv on at night so, most small noises are drowned out.

I did walk down the hall one night and find a kleenex in the middle of the hall floor, and a couple on the den floor. I was the last one to go to bed and they weren't there when I went to bed. After a walk through the house, I blamed it on the dog, but was a little freaked out for a minute or two.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

...my dog empties the whole box...after he drags it out through the doggie-doors...into the yard...where it rains before I find it...
    ...and bark "THE bark" when possums are looking in the window at them...dogs are wunnerful for security...welcome to the Forum...

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Dogs with Kleenex. Now there's a You Tube video I can't wait to see.

You walking around the house in your underoos checking the fridge, now there's a You Tube I CAN wait to see.
    If at first you don't succeed then skydiving definitely isn't for you.

-- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    We used to have this problem too. My wife would wake me up in the middle of the night and tell me that she heard a very specific sound, papers rustling, an interior door shutting, clothes hangers rattling together, etc. I would have to get up and check it out. Sometimes I think she would dream the noise and then wake up thinking it was real. Either way I would have to clear the house before we could go back to sleep.

When we built our new house, we had an alarm system installed and sleep with it on. We have a second control panel that installed in our bedroom. If a door or window is opened or if glass breaks, it goes off. This has drastically reduced the number of noises I have to investigate. And if I do have to get up and investigate, the first thing I do is look at the panel to make sure the perimeter is secure. Money well spent.

I too have a heat pump that hisses and moans with both heat and AC. But, we've been here long enough to be use to it by now.

My fridge was $2000, so I won't be putting any bullets through it any tine soon.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

New Member Array 18loosebottles's Avatar
    Two center of mass to the fridge.

That should make the HVAC think twice before making anymore uncalled for sounds

I don't get too nervous unless my GS gets nervous first....................THEN......it's serious business.

Get a dog. The best benefit of a dog is their ability to learn the normal sounds and easily distinguish what isn't normal. Occasionally a strange sound will give me a start, but I just lay still and listen for the dogs' response. No dog alarm = roll over and go back to sleep. Hasn't failed me yet!
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

I have been thinking about the dog thing, not to mention getting half-joking pressure from the girlfriend to get one.

I used to be afraid of dogs (several bad experiences when I was quite young) but I think I'm past that now. I've always thought Huskies are some beautiful dogs and I am increasingly tempted to get one, with blue eyes of course.

Oh no, if you're kinda unsure about a dog, don't start with a Husky. They are super super high drive dogs that require daily work to do, they are bred to RUN and will cost a fortune in fines from animal control or else it'll get hit by a car, and they're somewhat stubborn to train (because they get bored easily and aren't motivated to do anything besides run).

Take a tennis ball to the pound and pick a playful dog that you will enjoy! (Well, unless you're a runner lol if you already run for miles every day then *maybe* a Husky would work for you)
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Rats? Mice?
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Links