Boston residents: know many who weren't armed during "marathon lock-down"?

This is a discussion on Boston residents: know many who weren't armed during "marathon lock-down"? within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If you're a resident of the immediate Boston, MA, metro area ... Question: During the chase/hunt for the marathon bomber suspects, did many of the ...

View Poll Results: Boston bomber chase: How many neighbors were NOT armed?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • All

2 5.00%
  • Most

33 82.50%
  • Many

1 2.50%
  • Some

3 7.50%
  • None (everyone I know was able to be armed)

1 2.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Boston residents: know many who weren't armed during "marathon lock-down"?

Question Boston residents: know many who weren't armed during "marathon lock-down"?

If you're a resident of the immediate Boston, MA, metro area ...

Question: During the chase/hunt for the marathon bomber suspects, did many of the folks you know nearby have the ability to arm themselves, or were they unable to do that (due to not having arms, not having CHL, etc)?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

If the bombing had happened in a gun friendly state the poll results would be different. There is a lesson to be learned from this poll.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Being an urban NE state/city, I choose most.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by jackson85746 View Post
    If the bombing had happened in a gun friendly state the poll results would be different. There is a lesson to be learned from this poll.
    I'd thought of that when creating the poll.

It would be interesting to pose the question in a nationwide poll, asking respondents if a large-scale, impactful situation like this were to occur in the community do people believe folks they know would be capable of defending themselves. As you suggest, I'm sure it would vary tremendously from county to county. It would also be interesting to know what percentage of those who'd be incapable of defending against violent entry have had previous violence impact them, versus those who had a squeaky-clean, pie-in-the-sky past with respect to crime finding them. I'm convinced that a Gallup poll could be extremely valuable if well-designed and done nationwide. I'm sure we would see some fascinating correlations.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The best thing that could have happened was for the bomber to be apprehended or neutralised by a home owner with a legally owned firearm.....
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Everybody but my niece. Rest of the family in the Boston area don't own guns nor want to.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    The best thing that could have happened was for the bomber to be apprehended or neutralised by a home owner with a legally owned firearm.....
    Yes.

Had that homeowner been heavily armed while at his home, he might well have done a citizen's arrest and held him for the arriving cavalry. Still, given the gravity of the violence they'd already committed, it's unsurprising that he opted to call the cavalry and have them deal with it. I'm sure clearing a covered boat is at least as risky as clearing a house.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    As a long time Boston area resident (now in the hinterlands) I'm pretty sure that in the neighborhood of Watertown, many were unarmed. It is very difficult in that town to get an LTC or even an FID. Overall, only about 25% of Mass. residents own firearms. However, should that have happened where I live now in MA (town un-named) it would be a completely different story I assure you.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Me thinks the poll should have been titled What Do You Think?
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Well it was a civilian that found the terrorist in his boat...........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    I said some.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I was joking with my mailman (pro-gun/ccw) that if it happened in Texas, the shootout between the two suspects and the police probably would have ended with someone from one of the houses grabbing a rifle and shooting them from their window.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Something I was wondering. During the man hunt you have a hand gun or riffle out (let's say on a table visible from the front door or visbly on your body). The police come knocking doing home searches. What happens?
    Glock Armorer

VIP Member
    Since only New Jersey, Hawaii, and the District have lower per capita gun ownership than Massachusetts, very few residents would likely be armed.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Yes.

Had that homeowner been heavily armed while at his home, he might well have done a citizen's arrest and held him for the arriving cavalry. Still, given the gravity of the violence they'd already committed, it's unsurprising that he opted to call the cavalry and have them deal with it. I'm sure clearing a covered boat is at least as risky as clearing a house.
    And I am quite sure he would have done it without blasting his boat full of holes as did the cops as soon as they arrived on scene. What if it had not been the terrorist in the boat?
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links