Safe room, safe/room, DIY

This is a discussion on Safe room, safe/room, DIY within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Home defense... defense for your home... A do it yourself safe room (one that could be a safe as well)... would take a lot to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Safe room, safe/room, DIY

Safe room, safe/room, DIY

Home defense... defense for your home... A do it yourself safe room (one that could be a safe as well)... would take a lot to unbolt this from the floor...

Tornado season is here/coming soon. Think about this for a safe room in your basement... think about this as a safe for your firearms. Think of it as both?

how-to-build-storm-shelter.jpg

Think about this as well. There's no reason you couldn't put deadbolts (No through holes or key access from outside necessary) around the perimeter of a solid core door to a walk in closet... and screw a panel of steel to the inside of the door in order to make your walk in closet a "safe room" as well... It would not protect you from tornadoes unless your closet was in the basement... but... it certainly would deter intruders from harming you or your loved ones... (remember: stuff's insured/life's precious) If you do the closet... wire electrical to it... and a land line phone.

Here's how to do the storm shelter... viable ideas to extrapolate to other uses: Link
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

When I eventually build a house, I am going to pour extra concrete walls in the basement and install a vault door like this: Vault Door - "Front Line" 8040

The vault door costs less than a lot of good quality safes on the market and the storage potential is significantly higher. It can also double as a safe room/storm shelter.
    Fausty likes this.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

VIP Member
    We pretty much don't have basements down here. The time to build a safe room or safe place is during contruction, and I wished I'd done that when I built. However, for those like me without basements, there is a metal box (I refer to it loosley as a "big coffin") that is good for upgrading existing homes.

Typically the garage/carport is used. A rectangle part of the concrete floor is cut out, mini excavator digs the dirt out and a metal box is set in the hole and well-anchored. Tornado approaching you can squeeze in underground until it's safe to get out, they make variable sizes. I'd feel good about getting below the slab like that, that is if the car or house debris isn't piled up on top of my escape door.

For BG's that in-the-garage floor arrangement isn't a very ideal situation, that's why we "need" our AR-15's, it's not about assault weapon's, it's more about having a FDDW (Family/Domicile Defensive Weapon).
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I'm planning on moving to Arizona soon. There aren't many basements there either. I've been really interested in Insulated Concrete Form construction. If I end up going that route, I may skip the basement and just pour some extra interior walls for a safe room. Definitely something you would need to build during construction though.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

I ran across this thread on AR15.com a while back. Has some interesting ideas for the walls for a safe room:

Building a door for my "room" Door Finished, Painted, Installed. New Pics 7/29 Pg 3. - AR15.COM

My wife and I used to work for a construction company building semi-custom homes. One customer was a LEO and wanted a concrete room/vault to be poured in the basement. He then had a vault door installed. Obviously, the concrete walls are one of the first things done in the construction process. My wife was a customer service rep and she frequently talked with most of the sub-contractors as wells as several other customers. She said that by the time that house was completed, most of the subs and several of the customers had commented about that concrete vault. Most of the neighborhood knew that was a future gun safe for the homeowner.

Now if you want a poured concrete gun vault in you basement, I wouldn't let this story deter you. I'm sure after a few years, most people forgot about it. But during the construction process, there will be a big sign saying, "GUN OWNER WILL BE LIVING HERE". All things considered, I wish I had a vault like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stirling XD View Post
    My wife and I used to work for a construction company building semi-custom homes. One customer was a LEO and wanted a concrete room/vault to be poured in the basement. He then had a vault door installed. Obviously, the concrete walls are one of the first things done in the construction process. My wife was a customer service rep and she frequently talked with most of the sub-contractors as wells as several other customers. She said that by the time that house was completed, most of the subs and several of the customers had commented about that concrete vault. Most of the neighborhood knew that was a future gun safe for the homeowner.

Now if you want a poured concrete gun vault in you basement, I wouldn't let this story deter you. I'm sure after a few years, most people forgot about it. But during the construction process, there will be a big sign saying, "GUN OWNER WILL BE LIVING HERE". All things considered, I wish I had a vault like that.

During the construction process, just throw a coexist sticker on your car and tell everyone its going to be a sound proof recording studio for your green energy podcasts.
    niks, phreddy, Dsbjax and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by thephanatik View Post
    During the construction process, just throw a coexist sticker on your car and tell everyone its going to be a sound proof recording studio for your green energy podcasts.
    This sticker, or the other one...
    uploadfromtaptalk1366749581556.jpg

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    thechriskarel likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    This sticker, or the other one...
    uploadfromtaptalk1366749581556.jpg

Yeah, I got tapatalk, too. So what?
    That one was my background on my computer for a while. It tends to be a pretty obvious giveaway you're a gun owner though

That one was my background on my computer for a while. It tends to be a pretty obvious giveaway you're a gun owner though
    Ya think?

Lol
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I just throw myself into a 55 gallon steel barrel and roll to safety!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

As a musician, I wholeheartedly endorse this rouse.
    thephanatik likes this.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    The last thing a person needs is a hardwire phone. During severe inclimate weather, often times the phones are not going to work. Home invaders usually cut phone lines. Carry a cell phone into a safe room.

There is nothing fool proof when is comes to home invasions. Concrete rooms will be costly and really not needed. Just get a large bathroom. Put a solid core door with a dead bolt lock on it for the access door. If the bathroom does not have windows is a plus. Many lives have been saved during storms by going into a bathroom or large interior closet.

My home has a very large interior closet. I have a secure door on it and the closet is filled with gun safes, ammo, gas lanterns and a few other needed items. During a storm, it would be secure and safe. During an invasion, it will work nicely for the family members as I deal with the intruders.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Defensive bathroom is a great idea, after all who knows how long you'll be stuck in there. But without wifi my teenager would probably refuse to go into the room. Need access to facebook and all.

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    The last thing a person needs is a hardwire phone. During severe inclimate weather, often times the phones are not going to work. Home invaders usually cut phone lines. Carry a cell phone into a safe room.

There is nothing fool proof when is comes to home invasions. Concrete rooms will be costly and really not needed. Just get a large bathroom. Put a solid core door with a dead bolt lock on it for the access door. If the bathroom does not have windows is a plus. Many lives have been saved during storms by going into a bathroom or large interior closet.

My home has a very large interior closet. I have a secure door on it and the closet is filled with gun safes, ammo, gas lanterns and a few other needed items. During a storm, it would be secure and safe. During an invasion, it will work nicely for the family members as I deal with the intruders.
    uh...if that "safe room" is lined with metal your cell phone isn't going to work... just a thought.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links