Ugh! Have to travel to New Jersey...

This is a discussion on Ugh! Have to travel to New Jersey... within the Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Unfortunately, my father-in-law is dying of cancer. Thus, I must drive to NJ with my two young kids to meet my wife that's already there. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Ugh! Have to travel to New Jersey...

Unfortunately, my father-in-law is dying of cancer. Thus, I must drive to NJ with my two young kids to meet my wife that's already there.

The thought of having to travel 'naked' chaps my butt! What's even worse is that you can't even bring any outside gun into New Jersey without a state permit! At least the other states we're traveling through will let me put the gun in a locked, separate box in the car.

What a note to return home and be disarmed...

And yes, I'm very concerned for my father-in-law.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Where in NJ? I would think one of our local stores would allow you to bring your gun to them for a cleaning. If not NJ, then try someone in PA.
    Glock Armorer

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law and I hope for the best. I thought you can travel through states as long as the gun is unloaded and locked in a container that is not accessible to you in the car (like in the trunk). Check handgunlaw.us (http://handgunlaw.us/states/newjersey.pdf) for specifics. The problem is that no states around NJ seem to honor the Alabama permit.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

He can travel through a state (without stopping) if you are legal at the origin and destination of the trip. He won't be legal in NJ, that's why I had mentioned bringing the gun to a store / FFL for service (cleaning). That might make it legal, if that doesn't make it legal he could travel to PA (open carry state) and bring the gun to someone there for service.
    Glock Armorer

VIP Member
    Prayers for your FIL. Be safe on the trip. Be sure to clean your car out and not have any rounds or even spent brass rolling around.
    sensei2 likes this.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Sorry to hear of your families' pain. This is one of those situations where you have to check your 2nd amendment pride at the door, disarm, suck it up, and travel to joisy to be there for your family. No shame in doing what must be done for those you love. Travel safely and do what must be done.
    mano3 and lionround like this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Are you not allowed to go to NJ for a competition shoot and bring your own gun?
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    Unfortunately, my father-in-law is dying of cancer. Thus, I must drive to NJ with my two young kids to meet my wife that's already there.

The thought of having to travel 'naked' chaps my butt! What's even worse is that you can't even bring any outside gun into New Jersey without a state permit! At least the other states we're traveling through will let me put the gun in a locked, separate box in the car.

What a note to return home and be disarmed...

And yes, I'm very concerned for my father-in-law.
    I lived there most of my adult life without carrying a gun. No reason to worry. Most place there have lower crime rates than here in Florida. You have to look at crime on a per capita basis. I was shocked to find that the violent crime rate in supposed safe cities here was higher than where I lived in NJ. No wonder I feel like I need to carry here and never in NJ.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

Quote Originally Posted by Macantic View Post
    Are you not allowed to go to NJ for a competition shoot and bring your own gun?
    I think you can bring it to a competition, but you can not stop anywhere else in the state and you definitely can not stay overnight with the gun in your possession.

NJ is not a state you want to push the limits in unless you want to be a resident for a few years in one of our lovely jails.
    sensei2 likes this.
    Glock Armorer

VIP Member
    Where in NJ?
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Federal Law should protect you if driving through the state but not so much going there.

Can people not move to NJ with any firearm?

What about long Guns?

Judged by 12 or carried by 6 is what a cop in my family told me.
    Mossberg Maverick 88, Saiga 12, FN FNAR, SKS, SKS Paratrooper, AK-74, Marlin 60, Mosin Nagant 91/30, Browning A bolt II, Kahr PM9, Hi Point C9, Glock 20 (29 chop), Walther P22, Tauras PT92AF, Colt LE6920, Marlin 60SN, Mak-90

NJ requires a FID card for long guns, air guns, and yes BB guns.
    Glock Armorer

We made it there and back safely (Beverly, NJ for those who asked - not the best part of the state).

I really hated going through Washington DC and Baltimore unarmed. The side trip to Philadelphia was not liked either. Nothing happened, but I hated the fact that I had no way to protect my family if we ended up in a trouble spot.

What really got me was my brother's attitude about guns. I told him how 'naked' I felt unarmed. He just rolled his eyes and remarked that he's lived in his neighborhood (Cherry Hill - very nice/upscale) and never owned or needed a gun.

He has no alarm system and no dog. His only means of defense are calling 911 and grabbing a knife or baseball bat and prayer. Unfortunately he'll be one of those folks that when something does happen, then they'll upgrade the home defenses...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Distinguished Member
    Lived in NJ for 40 years and not so much as a burglary in the area. Up there they all roll their eyes when they read about how scared some are about going unarmed. Look at it from their point of view. They go through life never needing a gun or feeling afraid without one. I think that those who grew up carrying guns need them as a crutch sometimes. Sure your brother may be unarmed to meet a threat but then again the odds of him being threatened are very slim. I do not know anyone who needed a gun and neither does anyone I know. Do you and I mean not just thought they were in danger but rather made a police report incident danger? Bet not for most of us, so don't worry, be happy. A gun is just extra protection. I treat it like my cell phone. Good to have on me just in case but no cause for concern if I forget to take it or cannot take it where I am going.
    The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

Your coming to a state where sling shots and rubber band guns are illeagle. Just keep that in mind, Oh, also, you can't carry your pocket knife here either unless you can prove to the officer and judge it's required for work or you must be in possession of a NJ hunting or fishing license. Sorry to hear about your FIL.......

Old Dog......things have change here.....ever hear of home invasions and burleries......we're swamped with'em and I live in an upscale area of North central jersey.....you mustn't go out much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links